Author Topic: Detecting the pressing of the Cakewalk ARM (UnArm) all tracks button  (Read 903 times)

Offline norfolkmastering

Hi Alexey

Is there any way to detect the state of the 'ARM (UnArm) all tracks' button?

It must be a unique monitor and so must not be triggered by pressing any track REC ARM button.

Regards

Robert

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
Re: Detecting the pressing of the Cakewalk ARM (UnArm) all tracks button
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2023, 10:51:16 AM »
The parameter you are looking for is "Strip - Track - Rude dec.". It is in "Strip" Action because other Rude parameters (solo, mute) are strip type dependent.

Offline norfolkmastering

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2023, 02:07:46 PM »
Hi Alexey
I tried "Strip - Track - Rude rec" followed by a Parameter Value Monitor.
However the feedback output triggers when I press either the "Arm (UnArm) all tracks" or any track REC ARM button
I want the feedback output to trigger only when the "Arm (UnArm) all tracks" button status changes.
Is this possible?
Regards
Robert

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2023, 03:48:19 PM »
The parameter indicates "something is armed"/"nothing is armed". The indication on "Arm all tracks" Cakewalk button is the same.
Do you want "everything is armed"/"not everything is armed" instead?

Offline norfolkmastering

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2023, 05:16:41 PM »
Hi Alexey

I already use the "Rude rec." parameter according to its existing definition i.e. "something is armed"/"nothing is armed".
So please don't change that definition.

If it's possible to define a new parameter e.g. "ALL ARMED" with "everything is armed"/"nothing is armed", that would be useful but only if its possible and not too much work.

Regards
Robert

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2023, 01:53:47 PM »
If it's possible to define a new parameter e.g. "ALL ARMED" with "everything is armed"/"nothing is armed", that would be useful but only if its possible and not too much work.
Exactly as you describe is logically not possible, I mean if "something" but not "everything" is armed, we can't say "nothing is armed" ;)

But unfortunately even "all armed"/"not all armed" is logically and technically difficult. I have in fact implemented it and only then have understood the problems (so reverted the implementation, sorry...).
The problem origin is that not all tracks can be armed. Which in turn open the question how to detect the fact. And that is rather unstable with Cakewalk API since extended track types are "unknown" for the API (AUX, Simple instrument, just instrument). So several calls per track is required to somehow guess "armability", for each track. That is too heave and still not 100% certain.

Note that X2 interface itself had the problem handle arming for tracks which can't be armed.

Sure I could leave the definition "if some track is not armed, not everything is armed". And with just audio and MIDI tracks that will work. But with other track types it will not.

Finally to get the status I have to check each track separately (unlike with "Rude arm", which is supported by Cakewalk API). So for your case you can "collect" the status yourself (you have fixed number of tracks). And I can't really imagine the situation someone else need such fancy value  ::)

Offline norfolkmastering

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2023, 04:31:23 PM »
Hi Alexey

Thanks for having at look at this for me.  I got to the same logic issues as you described when I re-examined what I was trying to do.
I was really looking for a quick way to REC ARM a number of tracks at once rather than having to click (typically) 24 buttons.

Best regards
Robert

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2023, 06:20:12 PM »
Hi Robert,

note that you can define a function in AZ Controller to arm/disarm predefined set of tracks at once. I mean in case "global" arm/disarm provided by Cakewalk is not what you want. For 24 tracks there will be 24*2 = 48 Actions in that function.

Cheers,
Alexey.