Author Topic: Monitoring and Display LCD  (Read 866 times)

Offline MusicMan

Monitoring and Display LCD
« on: December 28, 2022, 03:01:16 PM »
Hi Alexey,

I'm working on my custom preset (based on Horsepants' preset, which was based on Boblev and Jashk@ ) for the X-Touch one and I'm trying to understand monitoring and updating the display. I haven't been able to found out when the 'default' text is set for the LCD display. When changing channel the trackname is shortly displayed (2 seconds, based on the control/function/logic  _TmpStripDisp) before it returns to a 'rest' state. Where and when is this default text set? I cannot find it  :-[.
Somehow, when I set the text in _TmpStripDisp it is set back to an other state after 2 seconds. But this action only resets the first line in the LCD display, the second line is preserved.

Overall, I'm trying to achieve the following for all displays (LCD and Assignment):

• When in Track modus: show the tracknumber (abbr left to 2 characters) in the Assignment Display (this is a very clear display, so showing the tracknumber makes it more readible than on the LCD). Currently Tr is shown (set in the feedback for AssDisplay). I've added a new control/logic '_TmpAssDisplay' to update the channel number, however sometimes it is overriden and reset to 'Tr' in AssDisplay. Is there a way to get the current tracknumber in the feedback (at all times)?
  • When in Bus modus: show the text 'Bu' in the Assignment Display (already working).
  • When in track modus and having a track selected: show the name of the track in the first line (7 digits), and the volume in line 2
  • When changing the volume (with the fader): show the parametername (Volume) on line 1, the value (the volume in dB) on line 2, for a couple of seconds and then returning back to the trackname and volume line. Also have this working with the master fader.
  • When changing the pan (with the encoder): show the parametername (Pan) on line 1, the value (the pan in %) on line 2, for a couple of seconds and then returning back to the trackname and volume line.  Also have this working with the master panning.
  • the last 3 options are more or less based on https://www.azslow.com/index.php/topic,261.0.html but I wasn't being successful to implement this in the my preset (copied the logic and feedback, but wasn't able to activate it somehow).

I've encloded the exported preset I"m working with. I'm trying to optimize it to remove all unneeded logic (both to make it more lightweight and to better understand what everything does).

Thank you in advance, appreciating your help!

PS: Another question: Do you happen to see something in the preset which can cause the fader to hop/jump up and down when switching channels, even when the volume of both tracks are equal? The fader now is turned down and immidiately going up again
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 03:31:16 PM by MusicMan »

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
Re: Monitoring and Display LCD
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2022, 08:35:52 AM »
Hi,

I don't have One or other MCU like device... and it seems like after all mods this preset no longer mirror device displays on build-in (on screen) display. So it is hard for me to
follow what is going on there.

"default" text is sent by fader/pot value/name monitors. Temporary text is displayed directly and trigger delayed timer (2sec) to reset all strip monitors (calling _DispUpdate).
Options/Export (Text preset) can help to understand from where particular updates are called.

Note that this preset is for Mackie mode of One. And if you plan serious changes in default functionality that is not optimal. One has "MIDI Relative" mode, where all controls
can what they are, f.e. there is just one display to set, one fader to process, etc. I mean the preset for that mode can be way more transparent and easier to work with.

Hop/jump when switching channels can be from Mackie emulation. One tries to be 8 strip controller, so it changes "internal" strip with some logic. Probably that comes in clash
with "focused" strip selection, I mean the timing of internal channel switch and preset monitoring is bad. Other possible problem is value translation, Mackie devices have
10bit faders, One has 7bit fader. That is impossible to dig for me without having the device on the table.
"MIDI Relative" mode can eliminate internal channel switching and value translation.

Offline MusicMan

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2022, 09:35:21 AM »
Thank you for your response.

I'd tried to remove some logic not needed or not present on my device (eg buttons which do not exist), to have it more lightweight. Or will detached (or non-existing) buttons/logic have no effect because the monitors are not evaluated in that case?

I'll revert back to the original preset and will export to text again to check what I'm missing. Did it before but unfortunately didn't find the default text (probable overlooked it, still learning the huge amount of nice possibilities of AZController).

Thank you for your explanation regarding the fader. I didn't see this behaviour when using the Mackie Control surface in Cakewalk, so it will probably have something to do with MIDI and the 7 / 10 bits translation.

Again many thanks for your help (and patience)!

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2022, 10:57:56 PM »
As I have mentioned, making Mackie preset working for this device is "hit and miss". Especially since I don't have it and so I can't really help.
The preset is rather complicated, what is possible to remove/disable/modify can be not obvious. Too easy to make mistake, too hard to find that.
Inter-operation with device internal Mackie emulation is yet another part of the puzzle.

So I still recommend to start from "scratch" in MIDI Relative mode of One. That is also quite some work, but resulting preset will be way simpler and transparent.
I can try to help (we can meet online at the beginning of the year and compose basic functionality in 1-2 hours).

Offline MusicMan

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2022, 09:53:10 AM »
Thank you again!

At the moment, it is luckily more "hit" than "miss". Knowing the preset of Horsepants is working quite well, but was missing some functionality I liked from the device, I am now comparing that preset with my own. I also created a new preset based in the Mackie Control template you provided in the tool. I'm comparing these with each other to see how things are done. The text export is quite a blessing here and helps a lot!

To have the preset more transparant on what the device actually can do and which buttons/controls physically are present on it (not all Mackie controls exists on it unfortunately), I removed a lot of logic which wasn't present on it or renamed controls to understand where it was used. Therefor it will be (step by step) more clear what all logic is doing, which eventually results in a clean preset completely working.

Most of the time the problem is me, for not fully understanding all functionality in AZcontroller or how monitoring (or the reset of it) or all actions are working. Thanks to your previous response I simply put a number in front of each display/text action to understand where and when it was send to the LCD. This was helping a lot and maked more sense in how all is tied with each other.

Step by step I'll be getting there, without your (very much appreciated) help I wasn't where I'm at now, so thank you very very much. I really appreciate your offer for online support! I'll be gone for a holiday for a fews days this week, so I'll be picking this up in the new year. If I won't manage to fix the last few things I'll gladly accept your offer to arrange an online meeting and walk through it.

Wishing you a very nice new year's eve.