Author Topic: Problems with Reset all Monitors  (Read 3117 times)

Offline norfolkmastering

Problems with Reset all Monitors
« on: November 26, 2021, 11:29:49 AM »
Hello Alexey

I am having a problem getting my external PIC controller to start its communication with AZ/Cakewalk.  (The PIC accepts commands from AZ to control my hardware mixer and also sends commands back to AZ/Cakewalk to remote control some Cakewalk functions).

Best if I explain the sequence of events:

I am using one instance of AZ called 'RECORD'.  This instance contains only one preset (which is also called 'RECORD').
I load Cakewalk.
I load a project on Cakewalk.
I power up my mixer (including the PIC controller)
The PIC sends a MIDI message to AZ triggering the 'Reset all monitors' actions.

All actions from Cakewalk (via AZ) to my PIC/mixer are working correctly.
However all actions which come from my PIC to Cakewalk (via AZ) are only working at the second attempt.
I give one example to explain:

I have a PIC function which means that when Cakewalk T1 REC ARM is pressed, it outputs a monitor action to the PIC.
In response the PIC sends back a MIDI command to AZ/Cakewalk to operate T25 REC ARM.
First time I activate T1 REC ARM, T25 REC ARM does not activate.
I then deactivate T1 REC ARM.
I activate T1 REC ARM again and this time T25 REC ARM does activate.
This sequence repeats over and over again.
I can see (via MIDI-OX) that the correct MIDI command is being received at my PC each time, BUT AZ/Cakewalk is only actioning the command at every second attempt.

The problem is corrected when I manually load the RECORD preset from the AZ control panel.
After this, all functions from the PIC to AZ/Cakewalk work correctly.

Some other relevant information:
I do not read any information from AZ/Cakewalk into my PIC when Cakewalk is loaded or when a project is loaded.  This is to ensure that I can control when the monitor refresh is controlled.  So I do not read any MIDI information from AZ/Cakewalk until the PIC sends the 'Reset all monitors' command.

I am wondering it there is some kind of handshaking sequence which I need to add from the PIC to AZ/Cakewalk when I wish to initialise communication?

I would very much appreciate your help to solve this issue.

Regards

Robert

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
Re: Problems with Reset all Monitors
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2021, 03:42:14 PM »
I can be helpful if you attach the preset in question (SPP file). I don't exclude some bug within AZ Controller, but there are many places where something can go wrong, especially with "looping".

I also suggest to check AZ controller doesn't "see" your incoming message. In your example, once you activate "T1 REC ARM" AZ Controller should (invisible in the interface) send corresponding MIDI to your PIC. In case PIC sends something back, you should see that in the "Last MIDI event". If that really happens every second time, there is a big probability Cakewalk and/or AZ Controller itself are involved. If the message is received, you should see what it does in the "Overview" tab. May be the logic of preset is somehow incorrect.

Note that AZ Controller (and so preset) can be loaded before or after project, at any time project status can change (making requested information failing). If that saves something "wrong" in Software States, future reaction can be different from manually loading the preset, so when project is available for sure.

Offline norfolkmastering

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2021, 11:03:49 AM »
Hello Alexey

I have attached the SPP file.  This is used in the 7th instance of AZ in my PC.

Also I have been able to undertake more testing.  Here is the latest information:

1. I loaded up the whole system (Cakewalk and my Mixer with the PIC) and was able to observe the fault again.  So the action to activate REC ARM 25 was only working only on every second attempt. (To be clear, all actions programmed to work from received MIDI are failing in the same way).

2. When the action failed, the CC to trigger the action does not appear in the AZ 'last MIDI event' but the CC does show in MIDI-OX (which is monitoring MIDI from my PIC).

3. I changed the AZ Controller input port to a PC utility which can generate MIDI commands from screen based buttons.  So the screen button generates the correct MIDI CC to trigger REC ARM 25.  It continued to work only for every second attempt.  So even with the PIC and the 'looping' removed, the fault continues.

4. I then manually loaded the RECORD preset.  The action now works every time.

The RECORD preset is the only preset associated with the RECORD AZ controller instance.
I am assuming that AZ and the RECORD preset are loaded when Cakewalk is loaded.  Is this correct?

5. I repeated the test 10 times, each time starting from a fully powered down system.

In 8 times, the fault was present until I manually loaded the RECORD preset
In 1 time, ARM 25 worked every time
In 1 time, ARM 25 worked every time but very slowly (about 0.75 seconds from MIDI CC to action implemented).  Normal action speed resumed when I manually loaded the preset.

I hope this helps with your identification of the problem.  Let me know if you want me to run any other tests.

Best regards

Robert

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2021, 05:31:15 PM »
Just in case... which version of AZ Controller are you using? It is displayed in the lower right corner...

Offline norfolkmastering

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2021, 10:20:18 AM »
I'm running AZ Controller Version 0.5r9b407

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2021, 12:31:14 PM »
Please update to the latest version... In older versions there was some "feature" which could produce the effect you observe.

Offline norfolkmastering

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2021, 05:58:32 PM »
Hello Alexey

I updated to the latest AZ Controller version and reliability is much better.
I did another ten test runs from power up.
I had 100% reliability of the REC ARM functions.
I had one instance where the PIC instruction to AZ to do 'Reset all monitors' failed.  So I will do some more testing on this.

In about 25% of the test loading of Cakewalk, I get a * at the end of the Preset name.  So 'RECORD*'
However I did not make any change to the RECORD preset.
Can you help me understand what this * is indicating please.

Regards
Robert

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2021, 11:34:27 AM »
"*" theoretically should mean the preset is modified. Practically I have not understood the logic behind, it periodically appears when I am not expecting it. That was never a problem for me. Cakewalk may be save current preset more often then required, but till half an year ago it was doing that every time in any case.

Offline norfolkmastering

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2021, 10:56:44 AM »
Okay, thanks for the information.  I won't worry about the * appearing from time to time next to the Preset name.
Best regards
Robert