Author Topic: AZSlow not working on reloading Cakewalk  (Read 2421 times)

Offline colinb

AZSlow not working on reloading Cakewalk
« on: October 07, 2021, 12:46:17 PM »
After successfully configuring AZSlow with my Keylab controller I have come to load Cakewalk today and find it not working.

Looking in preferences, the AZSlow surfaces are showing with brackets around them as per the screenshot attached. The surfaces   are not showing in the Utilities menu.

I tried adding in a new surface but although this then shows in the Utilities menu the option is greyed out so I cannot do anything with it.

Any ideas?

Offline colinb

Re: AZSlow not working on reloading Cakewalk
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2021, 03:26:15 PM »
OK - well I seem to have it working again but not sure what was going on. Here's the sequence.

i)   Surface not working and not available for update
ii)   Preferences checked and surfaces in brackets
iii)  Added new surface - apply/close - new surface in menu but greyed out  Upto here as reported
iv)  Cakewalk restarted - situation as before
v)   Went into preferences to delete surface added in iii) - applied - other surfaces now no longer in brackets
vi)  Surfaces now available on the menu but DAW not responding
vii)  Went into hardware tab and reassigned MIDI on first function - all rest of master surface now working again
viii) Slave surface still not working
ix)  Opened slave dialog - all functions still defined OK - saved it as a new preset
x)   All now working again

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2021, 04:12:27 PM »
Some time ago Cakewalk has introduced rather "user friendly" change: in case Controller plug-in use some MIDI device which Cakewalk think is not connected, Cakewalk simply refuse to load the plug-in...

But really nasty Cakewalk feature at least since 10+ years is buggy detection which MIDI devices are connected and how currently connected devices was connected during the last session. Over years, Cakewalk has tried to "fix" related problems. Somehow every time they just manage to make it worse then before...

Some suggestions to avoid (minimize) troubles:

• NEVER connect MIDI devices to different USB ports. After you did (even shortly... by mistake... without running Cakewalk), clean all copies (including hidden) of that device using Windows Device Manager, delete Cakewalk MIDI related INI  and reconfigure MIDI/Surfaces in Cakewalk
  • Try to always run Cakewalk with the same set of MIDI devices connected and powered. Failing this can not only malfunction surfaces, but also affect MIDI routing inside projects (not a joke)
  • If you don't have all MIDI devices connected and powered all the time, making corresponding INI files "read only" can avoid MIDI/surface reconfiguration after you forgot to connect/power something

Offline colinb

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2021, 04:42:59 PM »
Thanks.

I have only one MIDI device - the Keylab - but I had connected it after starting Cakewalk, so I guess this is the scenario you are talking about! Will make sure it is connected prior to starting CW