Author Topic: [azslow3, almeister_65] Behringer X-Touch Mini  (Read 54447 times)

Offline Spieler

Re: [azslow3, almeister_65] Behringer X-Touch Mini
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2020, 08:44:49 PM »
Hello,
thank you for your quick response. I meant the second variant. I wanted to set different modes for the LED rings. It's a pity, but at least now I don't have to try any longer. It works just the same. Thank you very much for your great program.

Offline Spieler

Behavior of the focused track
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2020, 09:41:13 PM »
Hello,
I have one more little question. Would it be a great effort for you to make a change in your program? It would be nice if the focused track stays on the screen when you increase the height of the tracks, as it is with the ctrl + cursor keys.

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
Re: Behavior of the focused track
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2020, 11:09:45 PM »
Hello,
I have one more little question. Would it be a great effort for you to make a change in your program? It would be nice if the focused track stays on the screen when you increase the height of the tracks, as it is with the ctrl + cursor keys.
Published preset use "Zoom tracks window" for V Zoom. What you ask is "Zoom all tracks" command.

The preset is not the program. See the attachment.

BTW you can modify everything in the preset yourself if you want. It will take sometime to read the documentation. But if you want your Mini does exactly what you want and have some background in scripting/programming or at least "common logic" (explained in extra documentation), it is possible. In the single strip layout one encoder is still not assigned, so "Left"/"Right", "Left+Shift"/"Right+Shift" and "Press" are there for customization without changing already existing functionality ;)

Offline Spieler

« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2020, 09:47:44 PM »
Thanks for your quick response.

I've been trying to get a handle on your interface for days. I'm not that experienced at programming. What I miss most is an overview of what all the functions contained in the interface do. I'm trying to understand it, but it will probably take a while. Eventually I will get it right.

I thank you for your help.

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2020, 10:51:06 PM »
Since you have not downloaded the preset yet... Have you understood that the preset attached to the previous post is doing what you have asked?

I agree, making presets in AZ Controller is still programming. But many things are relatively easy. To get an idea, I recommend (in that sequence):
* check all Commands. They are listed in Keyboard Shortcuts of Cakewalk Preferences. Everything there can be assigned to Computer Keyboard and can be assigned to some control on Mini. Assignment can be "switch  like" (good for buttons) or "modify" like (good for encoders, f.e. Zoom In / Zoom Out your have asked).
* read the manual. I mean just the text, skipping everything you do not understand. Many operations can not be performed by Commands, but easy to implement by other actions. Especially "Function" sections has many of them.
* there are operations which can not be done with Commands nor normal Actions (Cakewalk Surface API). But in case you can do something just with computer keyboard, it is possible to write a kind of "macro" with (timed) key presses.
* read the documentation for BCR2000 preset. It implements some unusual operations.
After that you will have a good overview what theoretically can be done.

Once you know what you want and know that is possible, you can just ask me to implement that for you. "Knowing that is possible" is important in such requests. F.e. I could easily modify preset once you have written "with Ctrl + cursor". Without that statement it could take a while till I understand what you want...

If you want experiment yourself, do "Quick start" first. Follow (re-creating the preset, so step by step) "ACT MIDI Explained". Make it work with your Mini (from scratch). Try to light the buttons ("Buttons and Pads with LEDs" tutorial). Then read other tutorials. Finally, try to understand the logic of X-Touch Mini preset. At that point you probably understand almost everything, may be except most tricky parts. But that I can explain in details, question by question (probably with new "tutorials").

Offline Spieler

« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2020, 09:47:23 PM »
Hello, Alexey,
when I tried out the preset today, I was very pleased. It works just the way I wanted it to. Thank you very much.

Well, I've read the manual for AZ Control several times. At the same time, I try to set something useful with a copy of the preset. But I think it will take some time before I can get it right. I always need a concrete example to learn from.

When I press an encoder, the channel appears on the Overview screen followed by, for example, N 35. What is meant by N 35? This is something I have already failed with. But one day I will understand this.

First of all I would like to thank you for your support so far. Have a good time.

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2020, 10:19:30 AM »
"(Ch: 1 N:35) EncB 4" means incoming MIDI message with MIDI Channel 1, Note 35 assigned to (defined by preset) control "EncB 4" (Encoder 4 Button).
Short explanation how surfaces work: http://www.azslow.com/index.php/topic,12.0.html , MIDI messages: www.midi.org

X-Touch Mini (in Mackie mode) sends: "Notes" when buttons or encoders are pressed, "Control Changes" (CC) when encoders are turned (one message each "tick", but can be aggregated when turned fast). Notes  and CCs have "value". For buttons, value 127 means pressed and 0 means released. For encoders, values 0-63 means turned one direction and 64-127 means other direction. The value account "skipped" messages when turned faster.

AZ Controller helps to interpret that without special tricks from user side.  F.e. set "Note Off" when value is 0 (button released), action Conditions have (Note: Off) by default, so nothing is executed on button release (till specified explicitly, X-Touch preset is using that f.e. to notice Shift is released). Encoders are normally "decoded" automatically with "Endless" option of many value processing Actions. In some situations only "On"/"Off" for "Left"/"Right" is interesting, f.e. for your Zoom Vertial. In this case the value is mapped to 2 States directly and the state is used as condition to execute something (zoom in or zoom out).  Action Conditions logic is explained there: http://www.azslow.com/index.php/topic,11.0.html

Offline Spieler

« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2020, 02:18:43 PM »
Thank you for the detailed explanations. It was a great help to me. The fog is beginning to lift.

In your video, in which you explain the setup, you said that there will be another one, in which you explain further settings. Do you have multiple channels? I only found three videos, of which only the one with the setup applied to me.

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2020, 03:18:16 PM »
Sorry, no other videos. Most plans was evaporated when Cakewalk was declared as dead... And its resurrection was too late (I have switched to REAPER).

Offline binbinhfr

« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2021, 08:20:30 AM »
Hi Alexei,
could you explain why it's needed to set Global Channel on 2 ?
And why is it relevant in MC mode ?

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2021, 08:55:15 AM »
I don't remember... In MC mode most controls send throw channel 1 (fader throw 9).
Since I have written that (in bold...), I guess there is some clash related to MIDI editor software or device. Something was not working correctly till that setting is changed (at least with firmware/software versions we have used). Also note that I have developed that preset without device (I have bought it later).

Offline tobiaslindahl

« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2021, 06:39:45 PM »
Hi Alexei ! Just wanted to say that I have been using this for several years now and I feel its only proper to let you know am still amazed how much I am able to do in Cakewalk with this tiny x-touch device thanks to you and your tool.  So my hat's off to you Alexei :)

Now I am off to press buttons and turn knobs!

Offline jpfliegner

« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2022, 09:45:38 PM »
Hello everybody!
First of all thanks to everybody for their great efforts and sharing it with us, particular to Alexei and his marvelous work.
I also took part on it and installed the AZ Controller an the preset for the x-touch mini. Everything works fine, but  at least in one of my projects I have a ctd issue. Engaging prochannel (layer B, long push on transport-backward-button) crashes sonar (bandlab). I recognized, that this only happens in this particular song. It seemed to be damaged, for all my other songs everything seemed to be OK and working.
Btw I also got back to cakewalk after some time with presonus, a realy good product anyway. But Sonar it feels like home :-)

jp
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 10:49:11 PM by jpfliegner »

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2022, 11:31:11 PM »
It can be AZ Controller related or Cakewalk related, AZ Controller has several workarounds for old ProChannel control bugs, may be yet another is required.
But without project in question, or some test project with the same issue, there is nothing I or Cakewalk can do... CWP file alone, I mean without audio files, normally can reproduce bugs.