Author Topic: Level Monitoring, performance  (Read 4811 times)

Offline MarKo

• Power user
Level Monitoring, performance
« on: May 17, 2015, 01:43:51 PM »
I am monitoring Strip Levels of 8 Tracks simultanously with Timers set to Ultra.
If i make the timers slower, i can not see the signal so nicely (eg. on drum tracks).
Could this be performance problem?
i´m not using the 'value-mapping' of your strip-level tutorial - i am using directly the monitor-level as 'value' for output, because the Led-rings do this mapping alone.

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
Re: Level Monitoring, performance
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 03:05:18 PM »
My Monitors see and indicate immediate values only, what you see on level meters in Sonar (and other meters) is "slowly dropping" from maximum. So, if something was loud during short time, slow monitors just can not notice that, while Sonar monitors display the level long time after it has already gone. "Ultra" is still 1/13 of second, so it can also theoretically skip some pikes. In addition, in case the level has dropped fast and the drop was caught, it will immediately transfered to LED (that is now way to change that in my plug-in yet).

I do not think that 8 parameters Ultra monitor can produce any significant impact on your general performance, I have tested presets with many hundreds of such monitors on slow PC (which can not handle many DimPro presets), but I have not noticed any difference.

So, if "Ultra" is working for you, fine. Otherwise I can try to implement "slow drop" for level monitoring. Still, the "resolution" will be 13HZ.

Offline MarKo

• Power user
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 11:28:28 PM »
No, you don´t need to to implement "slow drop" for levels!
My problem was that it *was* dropping to slow!
Normally you can "see" a drum or bass signal on the meter - but mine was to slow.
It was not the resolution, it was the slow release time!
But i found that the values reported to plugins use the settings from preferences/level-meters/release-time.
So directly show the sonar-meter value, *including* drop/release-rate.
My release time for meters was default at 1000 ms! 1 sec! much too slow.
So i lowered till 100ms, but i find now 200ms quite ok.
And now the meters shown by your plugin on the BCR feel like "real" ones!

thanks again, with AZC i get every day closer to my optimum!

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 11:57:35 PM »
But i found that the values reported to plugins use the settings from preferences/level-meters/release-time.
So directly show the sonar-meter value, *including* drop/release-rate.
My release time for meters was default at 1000 ms! 1 sec! much too slow.
So i lowered till 100ms, but i find now 200ms quite ok.
Thanks for sharing that information!

I am not using even half of my plug-in functionality myself, including metering. So external observations and tips are really helpful.