AZ Controller plug-in for Cakewalk SONAR > Discussions

Looking for a way to ident FX Chain

(1/2) > >>

norfolkmastering:
Hello Alexey

I am trying to find a way to obtain a feedback monitor of an FX Chain's 'identity', so that when a track which contains a specific FX Chain is moved to a different Cakewalk track slot, some element of the FX Chain can trigger an AZ feedback output.

Ideally, if the Cakewalk API exposes the FX Chain name, and I could access that name via AZ, then I would be able to monitor which Cakewalk track slot, each FX Chain was currently located.  Sorry this is not so easy to explain.  Let me try an example:

Project with 24 tracks.
Each track has an AZ monitor feedback for the FX Chain name.
FX Chain named 'FX Chain 1' is inserted in track 'DRUMS' in Cakewalk track slot 4.
AZ reports name 'FX Chain 1' from slot 4. monitor.
'DRUMS' track in track slot 4 is moved to track slot 7.
AZ reports name 'FX Chain 1' from slot 7 monitor.

It does not have to be the FX Chain name which is reported but it needs to be some element within the FX Chain which will retain its value when the track is moved to a different slot.

Can you think of any way to make this possible?

Regards
Robert

azslow3:
Hi Robert,

API is not working with unique track IDs (unlike in REAPER). I remember there was some trick... but I am sure I have abandoned that for a reason (that was long time ago).

For API FX chains are like any other VST/DX, so AZ Controller can monitor its 'Name' and parameter names. The last is most interesting, you can define parameters (as references to some plug-in+parameter in the chain). They will be started from parameter 4 (after own FX Chain) parameters.

Note that "FX Chain Name" is handled a bit specific in Cakewalk. You can set it and Cakewalk display it whenever you use it, instead of "FX Chain". But plug-in name reported by API is still "FX*Chain" (don't ask me from where '*' comes) since the plug-in "name" is always the same.

I hope my explanation make sense...
Alexey

norfolkmastering:
Hi Alexey
Thanks for the explanation.

Based on your suggestion, I am going to put a 'dummy' instance of 'Sonitus Comp' in each track and create an assignable control for the 'Attack' parameter in the FX Chain control panel.  I will set the knob for each instance to a unique value which I can then monitor to generate an AZ feedback output whose value will tell me the track ID.  I mean 'dummy' instance because the 'Sonitus Comp' can be switched out of circuit but still provide the an AZ feedback output, so it has no impact on the audio path.

By this method, a track has a 'smart' ID which will be retained if the track is moved to a new Cakewalk slot position.

I have tested it today and it seems to work just fine.

Again, many thanks for your help with this.
Regards
Robert

norfolkmastering:
Hi Alexey
Further to my earlier post today, I have a related issue to solve:

I need to add a second FX Chain to each track (to act as a 'dummy' switch trigger for my analogue FX insert switching).
My issue is that AZ Controller does not find this second FX Chain so I cannot generate a monitor feedback output from it.

Can you let me know if this is a known issue and if there is a solution or work-a-round?

Regards
Robert

azslow3:
Hi Robert,

I have just checked and for me it "finds" the second. Don't forget to select "FX*Chain" and set "Skip" to "1". In this case it finds the second chain even in case there are other plug-ins in FXBin.
If that is not the case, you can just use "Any" with "Skip" "0" and "1".

Cheers,
Alexey.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version