AZ Controller plug-in for Cakewalk SONAR > Discussions

Alternative method of track to group routing

(1/9) > >>

norfolkmastering:
Hello Alexey

This question relates to my use of AZ Controller Feedback messages to control the track to bus routing of my external analogue audio mixer.
The current working system uses a Software State with entries corresponding to each bus, so:

'--- None ---'
'Group 1'
'Group 2'
'Group 3'
'Group 4'
'Group 5'
'Group 6'
'Group 7'
'Group 8'
'unknown'
'11' (dummy)
up to
'128' (dummy)

This system works reliably but it means I can never change the names of the buses during a project.  This is not ideal.

Remembering that I have a PIC available to process messages received from AZ Controller, I want to consider an alternative system for routing tracks to buses in my mixer.

Is AZ Controller capable of reading the actual bus routing alphanumeric label which is displayed at the bottom of a track strip, e.g., if track 6 is routed to 'Drums', can AZ read the 'Drums' label?  If AZ can do this then I may be able to control the routing control of my mixer is a more friendly way as it would allow me to change bus labels during a session.

Any information or suggestions you have would be very welcome.

Best regards
Robert

azslow3:
With Software State you can send Bus number as numerical value. You can get the Bus name with Text Action ('Parameter value') and send it with SysEx.

The only thing which is not possible is absolute Bus number. I mean if you have 7 Buses and the output is to the Bus 6, the number "6" is not possible to get.
In general, "Output" can be Bus, Hardware Output, Aux Track or Side Chain input. Cakewalk give me flat list of all of them and position from that list. I mean I can't detect which
kind of output that is and so absolute number doesn't has fixed meaning in arbitrary project. But I can add a possibility to get the value, so in predictable project (with concrete
audio interface) you can predict correct bus number in your PIC.

norfolkmastering:
Hello Alexey
Thanks for getting back on this possibility.

Can I clarify one point please:

You say 'You can get the Bus name with Text Action ('Parameter value') and send it with SysEx.'  Can you get the Bus name in the track to bus assignment?  or only the bus label in the bus strip?

If I can get both,  then I can do everything in the PIC without having to use bus numbers.

Regards
Robert

azslow3:
"Output" parameter of the track/bus is what is in the "at the bottom of the strip". Buses names you can monitor as well (separately). So yes, you can collect bus names and output names.

norfolkmastering:
Hello Alexey
Thanks for the further information.

I think it should be possible to change to a routing system based on bus names and output names.
So I created a test Cakewalk project with 3 tracks and 3 buses labelled:
'Track 1'
'Track 2'
'Track 3'
'Bus 1'
'Bus 2'
'Bus 3'

I want to get the bus names and output names to my PIC.

So I created a test AZ preset called 'Bus Names' which I have attached.
For the output names I tried creating a Logic Control with three actions:
Strip:Track:Output
Text: Param. value
Parameter Value Monitor

Then a Feedback action:
SysEx/MIDI:SysEx:Send

But I get no output from this feedback action.

For the bus names I don't know how to focus on the name, so I set up a Logic Control with three actions just to test the preset was working:
Strip:Bus:Volume
Direct Linear
Parameter Value Monitor

Then a Feedback action:
MIDI:CC:Value

This works okay but of course does not output the bus name.

Can I ask you to help me with this test preset please, then I should be able to do some test code for the PIC.

Best regards
Robert

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version