Author Topic: AZC for Stream Deck transport controls for Cakewalk - sysex? key bindings?  (Read 2235 times)

Offline freddie_tane

hi AZSlow -

Thanks for having this forum! Some newbie questions about transport and control surfaces and AZC.

First a description of the problem I'm encountering!

My hardware is an Elgato Stream Deck, and in the Elgato plugin "store", they have third party plug-ins for MIDI
and I've been using one called MIDI Music by Trevliga Spel.

It supports the Mackie Protocol through a widget named "Mackie Control".

However, there is a sequence of Transport actions that are available when using the PC Keyboard for Cakewalk that
behave differently than using the Mackie plugin with the Cakewalk Mackie Control choice.

Case #1: Record in Cakewalk behaves this way:
Arm a track
Press "R" on PC keyboard
Transport rolls, engages record mode.
Press "R" on PC keyboard,
Transport continues to roll, just disengages record mode - like a punch-out would work. <<-- this is apparently unique to Cakewalk??

Record in "Mackie Control" surface definition behaves this way:
Arm a track.
Invoke Mackie Record through PlugIn.
Transport rolls, engages record mode.
Invoke Mackie Record through PlugIn.
Transport STOPS <<-- this is what is different.

Case #2: Play in Cakewalk behaves this way:
Press "Space" on PC keyboard.
Transport rolls.
Press "Space" on PC keyboard.
Transport stops at that spot (when the options are set in Cakewalk).

Play in Mackie Control behaves this way (regardless of Cakewalk's options):
Invoke Mackie Play through PlugIn.
Transport rolls.
Invoke Mackie Play through PlugIn.
Transport stops, and REWINDS to ZERO
 (or to nearest "Landmark" which is either a loop start-point or a "Now" Time")

Does the AZC control surface plug-in provide functionalities that are more equivalent to the actions that are invoked by the PC Keyboard?

Is there a defined set of sysex or cc# or note#'s or MMC commands that the AZC would recognize if they were sent to the Cakewalk software on the dedicated MIDI in/out ports created in loopMIDI.

Thanks for you advise!

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
Re: AZC for Stream Deck transport controls for Cakewalk - sysex? key bindings?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2023, 08:07:54 AM »
Sorry for late reply, I was in vacation (and was not connecting to the Internet, what at nice time  ;) )

AZC supports all kinds of transport operations. In addition, for cases something work better just with computer keyboard shortcut, you can generate keyboard shortcuts.

For sending messages you can use any MIDI messages, alternatively you can use OSC (I don't have Stream Deck but I see there is at least one OSC plug-in).

But if you switch from Mackie Control you somehow will have to organize feedback (so changes on Stream Deck according to the DAW state).