AZ Controller plug-in for Cakewalk SONAR > Discussions

Accessing the Cakewalk Track Output router

<< < (5/5)

azslow3:
Hi Robert,
I know you have fun with Cakewalk. But I have recently looked at some DAW <-> Mixer solution: https://sites.google.com/site/patrickmaillot/x32#h.p_DUz7OP4Wmg0-
May be you can get some information/inspiration from that project (it is open source, so you can check how that is done).
And while AZ Controller still works with Cakewalk only, I have sufficient experience with coding for REAPER to say... REAPER is way better prepared for such projects (strips are more flexible and so can represent almost any logic), it is better coded and Justin put all possible effort to fix any kind of bugs (f.e. such slowness will definitively be considered as a bug). REAPER is almost one man project, but there is one other person who support some parts (John) and it is possible to communicate with both of them.
Also REAPER works on RPI, so good for "embedding" (mixer + RPI + monitor).
Cakewalk's original author has left Cakewalk more then 10 years ago. They had and still have good people, but from strait use observations it is clear that most modifications are like "hacks" on top of each other, instead of rework of core engine. I am surprised they still can keep the thing stable, it must be titanic job changing anything without breaking something else (in practice control surface API is usually a part of that "something else"...).

norfolkmastering:
Hi Alexey

I had a look at the X32Reaper interface and it looks to have a lot of possibilities.  I also had a look through a few of the Reaper intro videos to get a feel for Reaper as a control surface.  The GUI seems to be more flexible in layout than Cakewalk (I love the ability to make the faders longer!) but not as developed from a visual perspective.  It also had MTC generation so it should be easy enough to get my tape machine to slave to it.

At some point I will have a look to see if I can get some basic control working between Reaper and my mixer ... would be fine to try!

Best regards
Robert

azslow3:
Visually REAPER by default is... let say "conservative"  ;)
But it is quite tunable. Not only each strip can have different representation (quickly changeable), it can look f.e. like: http://www.houseofwhitetie.com/reaper/imperial/wt_imperial.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version