Author Topic: UI - text box labels  (Read 4848 times)

Offline Metamo

UI - text box labels
« on: February 01, 2022, 11:52:12 AM »
Thanks so much for creating AZController! I am reading the user manual and trying to learn how to use it.

Wish:
Could you add labels to more text boxes and drop downs? This would really help newbies like myself understand your program.
For example, in the attachment, could you label these lists? Here are my guesses about what these lists could be labeled, but I could easily be wrong, I still don't understand these yet:

A = SSS1   (where SSS means "software state set")
B = SSS2 
C = State   
D = Offset   

I realize these options change depending on what action is selected, but this would be really helpful start.

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
Re: UI - text box labels
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2022, 05:32:50 PM »
Action configurations are already overwhelming with information... If every drop box has additional label, which (as you correctly notice) will have to change on selection in other drop boxes, that will be too much even for me  ::)
In practice, I have made selections more or less self explaining.  So when you open the list of drop box you can easily understand what it is about (or simple label will not help to understand the meaning).

F.e. Strip Action has to somehow identify the strip. The label for the first drop box (A) is "Type". The label for the second (B) is not so short... it is "The way to find reference strip for the strip in question". The third (C) is really the second dependent. It can be "State based shift from the reference" (so, selects Set) or "Search the strip with this name" (so, selects State from the Set specified in (B). Finally (D) is really offset.
But... If you are going to choose some strip, it is obvious you need its type. So there can be nothing else in (A). As mentioned, reasonable label for (B) is too long. Between (B) and (C) there is already label, "+" or "->", so it explains what it is going to do. Offsets are "+-<number>". What else that can be, other then offsets?