Author Topic: Creating pre roll shortcut  (Read 3366 times)

Offline norfolkmastering

Creating pre roll shortcut
« on: December 26, 2021, 11:35:44 AM »
Cakewalk does not have a punch record pre roll function.  That is a way to automatically move the Now Time back by a preset amount of time before entering punch record mode.

I tried to use a Cakewalk CAL expression to create a keyboard shortcut which would move the Now Time back by 10 seconds but I discovered that the CAL function works only on 'ticks' which are part of the Musical Time format i.e. not absolute time.  So no good for my purpose.

Is there any way to use AZ Controller to:

Read the current 'Now Time'
Calculate a new target 'Now Time' (e.g. 'Now Time' minus 10 seconds)
Move the time curser to the new 'Now Time'

Could this be triggered from an incoming MIDI CC?

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
Re: Creating pre roll shortcut
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2021, 05:49:39 PM »
In AZ Controller that can be done by "Jog" "Decrement" 10 seconds action (in some control, assigned to required CC).

A button to pre-roll 10 sec before AutoPunch begin, independent from current Now time, when AutoPuch is enabled only, potentially followed by Record (so the button can be normal Record without AutoPunch) is also possible. And it can work as Stop when currently recording.... But that is a bit tricky since AZ Controller currently has no time math (so it first should move to AutoPuch begin, give Cakewalk time to do this, then jog -10 seconds, again give Cakewalk time to move, and then record). I have just checked that works, example preset is attached (do NOT forget to save your current preset if decided to check  ;)

Offline norfolkmastering

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2021, 07:22:43 PM »
Thanks Alexey, it works perfectly!
Regards
Robert

Offline norfolkmastering

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2021, 03:10:58 PM »
Hello Alexey
I had some problems to recreate your example pre roll preset within my own preset.

I have attached my own preset 'RECORD' into which I tried to create the exact same settings and actions as per your example.  My preset works with the 7th instance of AZ Controller.

I used the same control 'Record'
Here are the problems I can see when comparing versions:

Although I completed the details in the entry to match your example:
your action 'TransportRec' - Command 'Stop'*
my action 'Command 'Stop'*

Although I completed the details in the entry to match your example:
your action 'AutoPunch:Off' - Command 'Record'*
my action 'Command 'Record'*

In the Hardware tab:
you have OSC Address /PreRoll
I cannot find a way to enter this field in my version

Your preset 'Record' control works.  My preset 'Record' control does not work!

Could you help me to get my version corrected please.

Regards

Robert

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2021, 07:06:52 PM »
Hello Robert,

It seems lie MIDI/OSC loopbacks are somehow broken in latest versions (I guess regression). I have to check.
In the primary instance they work (but not "Play" from feedback, at least not always), in other instances seems like doesn't.

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2022, 12:39:49 PM »
I have checked. "Play" behavior in Feedback is a bit confusing (even for me, as you could see in the previous post...), but that is not a bug. When "Play" is used in monitors, related Monitor preparation (so, the Actions in the Logic Control where that monitor is defined) are still executed. And in case conditions prevent that monitor (as in current case), nothing is executed.

Changing that behavior will be good in that particular case but can be even more confusing in other cases, when played actions use preparation results... I mean I don't see better solution.

Ok, I will stop with rocket science ;)

You need to move "Time" in the "Record" definition to the top of the list. That will not change the whole logic, but will allow you to "Play" OSC in feedback (and so assign it to the control).

But your "fixed" to my definition in practice break indented sequences. Without "Transport:Rec" condition, "Command 'Stop' *" means you stop transport. Always. No record, no pre-roll. Since nothing else is ever executed. The same fro "Command 'Record' *".
These 2 commands should be executed in case you don't want pre-roll, so when you are already recording (and so want stop) or AutoPunch is not enabled (so there is no reason to pre-roll).

Offline norfolkmastering

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2022, 06:28:46 PM »
Hello Alexey
Thanks for staying with me on this issue.

So I moved the "Timer" action to the top of the "Record" definition but the pre-roll function is still not working.

The OSC Address in the Hardware Tab is still blank and I don't understand how to set it to "/PreRoll" as in your demo preset?

Regards

Robert

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2022, 08:43:29 PM »
Change to the Feedback and find the Monitor. There you select OSC Action and press "Play". You should see the message in the "Last MIDI event". Change to the Hardware tab and
assign it.

Offline norfolkmastering

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2022, 10:52:43 PM »
Hello Alexey

Okay now I have the OSC in Hardware Tab assigned in my preset.  Still not working!  I have compared the two presets.  The remaining differences are:

your preset action 'TransportRec' - Command 'Stop'*
my action 'Command 'Stop'*

your preset action 'AutoPunch:Off' - Command 'Record'*
my action 'Command 'Record'*

I do not see how to make my preset the same with regard to points 1. and 2. above. 

I cannot see any other differences.

Regards

Robert

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2022, 11:42:08 PM »
These are Action Conditions. There are somehow in the middle of the window, so between the Actions list and the Action definition.
Don't forget one in Feedback as well...

Offline norfolkmastering

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2022, 12:30:35 PM »
Thanks, the Pre Roll function is working now!

Best regards
Robert