Author Topic: Try to configure Novation LaunchControl Mini  (Read 13100 times)

Offline binbinhfr

Re: Try to configure Novation LaunchControl (small one, not XL)
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2021, 08:03:11 PM »
well I understand that a toggle is not enough to know the current state,
BUT I have an idea !
Could we have 2 bottom "zeros regions" ?

0-7 : every time you ENTER this very low and smaller region, you toggle TO/BY once and only once.
8-37 : in this region, just set snap to off (but do not toggle TO/BY yet...).
38-52 : set snap by whole
53-....... (by +15 increments)
113-127 : set snap by 1/64

So if I go in the first low values, I can disable, and if I go completly to the left, I toggle TO/BY.
Could be nice ? no ?  ;)
If you have time...  ;D

« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 08:36:37 AM by binbinhfr »

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2021, 10:19:43 AM »
If you switch between TO and BY often, it is way simpler press a button (on computer or MIDI keyboard). I will say the same for on/off, but at least I understand the logic when off is the first (or the last) position on the knob (even so I think more natural to have off next to 1/64, not 1/1...). But I don't see a logic in assigning a knob region to toggle something, especially after off position (after switching you want set some specific snap value, otherwise there was no reason to switch...).
Even when something is possible, it is not always a good idea  ;)

Offline Bassman

« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2021, 12:31:44 PM »
Hi:)

This is how I set it up, Snap Settings on a Rotor and Toggle To/By on a Button.

Greetz;)
Heinz.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 01:00:19 PM by azslow3 »

Offline binbinhfr

« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2021, 01:04:03 PM »
> If you switch between TO and BY often, it is way simpler press a button (on computer or MIDI keyboard).

Alas, I have no more pads left on the Novation... And I'd like to keep all these functions on the same "mode", because I use them a lot (I'm used to record and arrange at the same time, I do the mixing/sound polish afterwards)

> I will say the same for on/off, but at least I understand the logic when off is the first (or the last) position on the knob (even so I think more natural to have off next to 1/64, not 1/1...).

most of the time, I'm moving clips around to arrange the song, so I switch between no snap and whole snap (usually "by"). So in my case, I prefer to have them in decreasing size.

And for the by/to toggle, I was very proud of my idea, but no problem, you already did a lot.
I'll try to do by myself on knob A7, we'll see if I learnt something  ;)

> But I don't see a logic in assigning a knob region to toggle something, especially after off position

Note that the "toggle" area is very small : i'll have to go and bump into 0 position to trigger it. The OFF area is far bigger.

> (after switching you want set some specific snap value, otherwise there was no reason to switch...).

Yes, but these knobs are easy to manip, so to switch from 1/8-BY to 1/8-TO, I'll just have to make a quick full-left and right back in the same position.

> Even when something is possible, it is not always a good idea 

You're right. And we all have a different way to use this nice Cakewalk sequencer.  ;D

Have a nice day guys !

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2021, 02:30:54 PM »
You still have long press on 5 pads and 4 buttons. Dedicated knob for toggle also make sense, while less convenient.

BTW for moving clips you use a mouse, having 102+ buttons of computer keyboard under other hand gives more direct possibilities then just 12 + 8 controls.
One of my projects for REAPER was dedicated computer keyboard as a DAW controller, so normal extra keyboard can work as 102+ buttons MIDI controller. I have not ported it to AZ Controller, at least not yet.

What is really inconvenient is changing continuous parameters with buttons. Faders and knobs are way better for the purpose. I personally was fascinated by DJ touch sensitive disk configured for the purpose, I am surprised no one is using that. On one side they are precise, on the other they can be shinned fast when jogging. Unfortunately the controller I tested had bad buttons and I have returned it.

Each control type has own advantages. Knob like mechanical switches and multi-switches exist, so MIDI knobs are more or less ok for the purpose (encoders with ticks are better). At the same time, I can't remember toggle switches implemented knob like... and I think there have to be a good reason for that  :)

Offline binbinhfr

« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2021, 08:59:41 PM »
> At the same time, I can't remember toggle switches implemented knob like... and I think there have to be a good reason for that 

ha ha, ok ok, no problem, I'll continue to use the usual keyb shortcut for snap TO/BY.  ;D

Offline binbinhfr

« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2021, 10:07:08 AM »
Hi Alexei, I just read the presentation of your X-touch-Mini plugin, and that's sure that, with its endless encoders,  it would be a nice complement to the Novation Launchcontrol you programmed recently. I'm looking at buying one used for 30E...

Thanks again for your great job Alexei, and what a pity that you stopped Cakewalk.

I tried it, and had problems to "enter" it. Did not find it very intuitive. I'm so used to cakewalk/sonar...

What about AZSlow in Reaper ? Did you transfer it ? Is it possible under Reaper to have the same functionnailty that you developped on my LaunchControl ? I need this now  ;)

PS : What about publishing your LaunchControl "mini" preset in the preset section ? It could benefit to other users ?

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2021, 10:33:01 AM »
I still have nothing for REAPER. So when I want a bit more than transport from controllers, I start Cakewalk...
When I had time, I have invested it into accessibility tools for REAPER instead of AZ Controller. And I think that was a good decision. Big projects take time, a lot of time.

Unlike current Cakewalk, REAPER is still developed by the same person who has written it originally. So everything is as logical as it can be (in Cakewalk, there are clearly parts from the original versions and there are parts developed later...). But many things are in fact not intuitive and less user friendly in comparison to Cakewalk. There is no "perfect DAW" and I don't think it can be written, so it is good we can use more then one. REAPER never expires (offline authorization), is accessible, sufficient stable to not worry it crash at unfortunate moment, has open source projects format, has full API (for surfaces and processing plug-ins), use modern approach in audio engine ("pre-rendering" during recording, so only parts required for recording are in real-time, so PDC is normally not an issue and latency can be lowest all the time), stopping the transport is never required. But that does not mean it has no disadvantages, some are consequences of its advantages. 

I will publish our last version in Presets section later.

Offline binbinhfr

« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2021, 01:51:01 PM »
What I need more in a DAW (apart classical functionalities) is :
- possibility to draw automations for any parameters (volume, pan, bus sends, and especially VST / VSTi control.
- have lot of busses to make submixes, with FXs on busses.
- possibility do make sidechain compression between buses (it was not possible in old cakewalk versions)
- I also like the ProChannel of Cakewalk that avoid inserting basic VST on every channel.

Is it possible into Reaper ?

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2021, 04:44:27 PM »
In REAPER:
- automations are supported, unlike in Cakewalk they can also be "items" (clips). So, a bit different. All parameters are exposed. All parameters are homogeneous. They also support "modulation" (you can drive any parameter by some other, with flexible logic). When possible, waveform is rendered in real-time (f.e. when you draw Pre-FX volume automation, a kind of Gain in Cakewalk).
- there are no separate buses, everything is a Track. But tracks can be folders (in Cakewalk a folder is more an interface element) and sends target can be any track. Topology is absolute flexible. Each track also has 16 MIDI buses and support MIDI sends the same way as for audio.
- every track has up to 64 channels. And so Sidechain is nothing special, you just send let say to channels 3-4 and assign channels 1-4 to FX (sidechain FXes are normal VSTs with 3+ inputs). And you can assign normal FX to process "sidechain" on the same track (so input and output on 3-4), if that is more logical then having it on sidechain source track
- ProChannel looks not so "fancy" in REAPER. But it was introduce more logical way then in Cakewalk: plug-ins which support that (tiny GUI) have an option to be shown embed in TCP/Mixer.

Now some things which I personally don't like (compare to Cakewalk): takes in REAPER are a property of Items, not tracks. So f.e. you can't move a take in time nor have take specific cross-over; you have to "record arm" to monitor (also for MIDI); no Track inspector, there are workarounds and extensions to imitate it but I don't like all of them; I miss step sequencer and some other Cakewalk modules/features.

BTW you can try REAPER ("demo" is full feature, ~12 MB in size, support "portable install" and doesn't expire, so registered version differ just in title and has no demo dialog at startup). Install ReaCWP plug-in (my creature) and open some of your Cakewalk projects (open a FULL COPY, not in place!). You will see how project structure can be mapped into the REAPER's world (but that is just my mapping, you can arrange things differently). On Cockos side there are tutorial videos how to do everything, I strongly recommends to watch them to avoid frustration right at the beginning... (the reason I have not considered REAPER long time ago).
REAPER is cross-platform (Windows/Linux/Apple) and works on RaspberryPI as well (some people really use it such way, no unexpected OS updates, 6W power consumption and "nano" form factor).

PS. "Cakewalk must be reactivated within 13 day(s)"... right now (not updated it last half a year). The first time I got "Demo" mode was with Sonar Platinum, right at the middle of video recording about AZ Controller. That alone made me rather suspicious about all versions above X3. REAPER is the ONLY DAW which doesn't require Internet connection nor dongle when you run it on arbitrary computer. You can run it even in case you currently don't have your license file. Download ANY version (you still can download REAPER 0.0) and/or run it from any USB stick. I like a DAW which I am able to run anytime anywhere, I can sacrifice many other features just for that...

Offline binbinhfr

« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2021, 05:09:57 PM »
Thanks for these pros and cons.
I will try it on a brand new project, and watch the numerous videos by Kenny Gioia !  ;D

Offline binbinhfr

« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2021, 10:46:59 PM »
following your advice, I finnaly bought a used Behringer Xtouch mini for 30 Euros...
So I will use it for single track with the potential of infinite encoders, and use Novation for multiple tracks.

BTW, is it possible to open AZSlow for several controllers at the same time ?

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2021, 11:01:10 PM »
You can register arbitrary named extra AZ Controllers, related program is in AZ Controller folder.
Note that SPP files are registration specific, but you can transfer presets using Binary save/restore in the Options Tab.

You can instantiate 2 AZ Controllers without that features, but working with presets is nightmare in this case (Cakewalk easily mix which preset should be used for which instance).

You can start with existing Mini preset. Or you can create your own from scratch. I recommend MC mode, in this case A/B buttons are normal extra buttons and don't switch anything on the controller. Note that LED rings feedback is special in MC, not 0-127 (there is an action for it).

Offline binbinhfr

« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2021, 11:18:10 PM »
as soon as I receive the toy, I will let you know how it works  ;)

Offline binbinhfr

« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2021, 09:27:36 AM »
This Reaper is quite powerful with a lot of custom addons from users.
But the learning curve is steep. Especially because tehre is a lot of menu/submenus (eventually with contexted right-click).
Some things are not obvious.
example : I first set track icon using the right clcik menu. If I want to change it, I could hope that I could just double click on the newly created icon. No : I have to do the whole menu/submenu thing again... Or am I missing something ?  (same behaviour with a lot of other features).
But I will continue to learn it, because it seems a nice software, with a lot of dedicated people.