Author Topic: [Boblev] X-Touch One  (Read 12304 times)

Offline boblev

[Boblev] X-Touch One
« on: December 23, 2018, 01:38:34 AM »
I'm attaching two files: (a) an SPP file with my current setup for using the X-Touch One with AZ controller; and (b) a PDF file with a table that shows the functions of all the keys on the X-Touch One using this preset.

In this version, I believe that all of the keys, meters, and other controls on the X-Touch One are working. I've assigned the F1 key on the X-Touch One to be the M1 modifier key found on the Mackie Controller. This provides the possibility of a second command for each key when pressed in combination with the M1 key.  In version 6.0 these second functions are assigned for most of the X-Touch One keys (see table in document file for all current assignments).

A few comments on the version 6.0 preset:

a. I am using the latest version of AZ controller (0.5r8) and the current version of Cakewalk by BandLab (Version: 2018.11 (Build 31, 64 bit).
b. I upgraded the X-Touch One to firmware version 1.07 and am using it in Mackie Control mode.
c. The level "meters" on Cakewalk for the selected channel are displayed on the LED strip on the X-Touch One except when the Master bus is selected (this is also the case when using the Mackie control surface interface that comes with Cakewalk).
d. The X-Touch One indicator lights should work properly for all the transport keys and the major channel keys (record, solo, mute) and will stay in "synch" with the same indicators in Cakewalk. The indicators also work and stay in synch for the keys that toggle looping and punch-in. The lights for the other custom keys (F1-F6, and the Marker-Solo row) are not active
e. To label the X-Touch One I used the LOGIC cutout that comes with the X-Touch One and added custom labels for the F1-F6 and Marker-Solo rows of keys. The rest of the labels on that cutout are pretty accurate for the functions of this preset.

I am happy to share this preset with other users if you think they would find it useful. I'm not 100% certain that I generated the .spp file correctly, but hope you can check and verify. Other users may want to make different assignments to the custom keys, add additional modifier keys (there is coding in your original controller for M1-M4 modifiers), and hopefully expand the indicator lights. The brilliance of your work is how it makes it possible for interested end users to make these kinds of changes. Bravo!

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
Re: [Boblev] X-Touch One
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 09:38:44 AM »
Thank you for sharing. I will later move your post into "Presets" section.

I can not test how it works, but at least I can confirm SPP is correct.

Offline sludge

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 04:06:40 PM »
Interesting post.

I'm also trying to use an XTOne with my Sonar DAW. Didn't realise AZ Controller cold help with that. Couple of questions though.

• What does 'M1' mean or signify for the F1 key
  • How do you create a 'selection' with the XTOne as implied by
    "Set Loop Times to Selection" for the Cycle button?

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 11:49:02 AM »
I do not have XTOne, but from the documentation...

F1/M1 (Modifier 1). When you use it other buttons change functionality, as in PDF.

I guess there is no key to set selection, assuming you are working with mouse as well. But as everything in AZ Controller you can add it yourself, if you need that and time time to do that.

Offline MrSwizard

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 02:49:15 AM »
First off thanks AZ Slow for this software, amazing stuff!

I have loaded this preset and everything works great except moving the fader on the X touch One does not change the fader in cakewalk (additionally after a few seconds after moving the fader it moves itself back to where it is for that channel in cakewalk).

But moving the fader in cakewalk moves the physical fader on the x touch one.

I do not see anything happen in the overview tab when moving the fader (but I do for any other button / knob on the device.

Thanks!

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 10:23:34 AM »
Check "Last MIDI event" (on the top). There should be (a) something when you just touch the fader (and a bit different message when release) (b) something when you move the fader.

If at least something does not produce messages, check that you have latest firmware. In worse case your device is defect...

If you see messages, let me know and I will check the preset (I do not have the device, so I can only check "theoretically". Better if you can write exact messages you see when operating the fader).

Offline MrSwizard

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2020, 09:51:34 PM »
So...super late reply, sorry for that (life sometimes gets in the way). On the latest firmware and latest version of az controller & cakewalk. I see nothing in "last midi event" when moving the fader. I don't think it's necessarily a hardware defect though.

When running midi-ox I get the following data when moving the fader:

TIMESTAMP IN PORT STATUS DATA1 DATA2 CHAN NOTE EVENT               
 000B92A9   2   3     90    6E    7F    1  D  8 Note On               
 000B92A9   2   3     E6    20    31    7  ---  Pitch Bend           
 000B9362   2   3     E6    04    32    7  ---  Pitch Bend           
 000B9377   2   3     E6    04    34    7  ---  Pitch Bend           
 000B938C   2   3     E6    34    36    7  ---  Pitch Bend           
 000B93A1   2   3     E6    54    38    7  ---  Pitch Bend           
 000B93B6   2   3     E6    74    3A    7  ---  Pitch Bend           
 000B93CB   2   3     E6    04    3D    7  ---  Pitch Bend           
 000B93E0   2   3     E6    48    3F    7  ---  Pitch Bend           
 000B93F5   2   3     E6    68    41    7  ---  Pitch Bend           
 000B940A   2   3     E6    10    43    7  ---  Pitch Bend           
 000B941F   2   3     E6    34    43    7  ---  Pitch Bend           
 000B9542   2   3     90    6E    00    1  D  8 Note Off             

I'm wondering if the issue is the X-Touch sending the master fader as pitch bend and that is why it's not recognized?

Again thanks for the help!

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2020, 01:02:56 PM »
Messages from MIDI-OX is what they should be. In Mackie, faders are sent as PitchBend since it is the only "simple" MIDI message which allows 14bit resolution.

Check that PitchBend MIDI message type is enabled in Cakewalk preferences. Unfortunately, these "recording" settings influence control surfaces as well.

Offline MrSwizard

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2020, 06:32:02 PM »
That was the fix!!!

For anyone else that comes across this same issue:

Preferences -> Midi -> Playback & Recording

check the box next to "Pitch Wheel"

Thanks again AZSlow!

Offline Cecelius2

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2021, 12:00:20 AM »
Thank you for this preset for Cakewalk.  I downloaded and installed.  It works perfectly in Cakewalk by Bandlab.
Thanks for doing this!

C2