Author Topic: Nektar Impact LX88+  (Read 3926 times)

Paul P

Nektar Impact LX88+
« on: December 19, 2016, 12:04:08 AM »
Hi All, newbie here from the Sonar forums.  Santa is bringing me this keyboard/controller and I'm wondering if it is worth my while to become familiar with the AZ Controller.

I understand that integration with Sonar is already pretty good from the manufacturer (but I've only prior experience with an Oxygen 8 so I don't even know what that means).  I'm interested in knowing what, if anything, could be gained by also using the AZ Controller.  In general terms is enough for the moment.  I was a software designer in a previous life (realtime and office automation) so I can't imagine I'd have trouble with learning the ins and outs of using the Controller, but there wouldn't be any point if there's nothing to be gained.

Thanks.

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
Re: Nektar Impact LX88+
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 09:02:30 AM »
Hi and welcome!

The difference between AZ Controller and the native plug-in is the flexibility in the configuration. But creating smart configuration takes time. I would definitively try to use the native plug-in first. And switch to AZ Controller only in case you find something worse the effort.
But you are always welcome here in case you have any questions. I do not have LX but I know the API all surfaces are using with Sonar.

Paul P

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 05:37:02 PM »
Thanks Alexey.  I'll be reading your documentation (and watching your videos) just to get a feel for things (I like flexibility) but will probably wait to really dig in until I've learned how well the native plugin works.

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 09:21:50 PM »
There are many possibilities to "play" with AZ Controller apart from LX: you have mentioned Oxygen, maybe you have some Tablet/Phone so you can see what OSC can do (TouchOSC is $5, Lemur $25) or if you have some game controller (joystick or USB gamepad).

Usual sequence to understand AZ Controller: Quick Start, Youtube/Startup preset, ACT MIDI Explained, Buttons or Pads with LEDs (with reference to the Manual), read throw the Manual to understand what is possible/implemented.

But please do not make the same mistake as me, try to not sacrifice the time you usually spend for playing/writing the music  ;)

Paul P

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 12:23:35 AM »

But please do not make the same mistake as me, try to not sacrifice the time you usually spend for playing/writing the music

Good advice which I can have trouble following.  I can spend more time working on tools that making real things.
I usually limit my studying time to when I eat (which I just did while reading your docs).

I'll come back here if I encounter anything interesting with my keyboard.