Author Topic: OSC not working  (Read 9905 times)

Offline Soundman32

OSC not working
« on: August 14, 2016, 02:01:15 PM »
I am trying to hook up my Behringer X32 via OSC.  I have followed the OSC setup instruction page, but I get no active clients.

I have server and client ports set to 10023 (which is correct according to the X32 documentation). 

I also have the "X32 Edit" program running and it does respond to fader movements, so I'm pretty sure the packets are arriving.

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
Re: OSC not working
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 10:56:21 AM »
From what I know, OSC in X32 is implemented to control the device, not to control DAW by device. If that is true, there is no settings in X32 to specify AZ Controller address. At the moment, AZ Controller is also not able to initiate connection to X32.

You can think as about remote controlling TV from DVD player. Both have infra-red receivers, but they are not prepared to control each other, they both expecting "controlling device".

I have an idea how that can be done. I put that into future plans, but please remind me at the beginning of October if you see no changes till that time.

Offline Soundman32

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 11:08:33 AM »
I'm not sure what you mean. 

X32 is effectively a surface controller.  It will output OSC when you move a fader and will move a fader when OSC is received  (same as MIDI controller).

It is true your program needs to be a client (i.e. you need to connect to the X32, not the other way around), but isn't that how any surface works?

Offline Soundman32

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 03:31:35 PM »
It took me an hour to work out what you mean, but now I get it.

I've knocked up a very simple proof of concept .net app, that connects to my X32 as a client, and connects to AZ as a client, and I can now see the X32 events in AZ!

I'm going to play with it a little longer just to verify things, and then maybe make a more efficient C++ version.

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 07:54:25 AM »
I was not claiming that is difficult to do  :)
But since I had no use for such feature and you are the first who ask, it does not exist in the current version. Effectively I just have to add "permanent client" to make it work.

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 12:26:21 PM »
Implemented in the test version (in Download section).