Author Topic: [AZ] OSC Phone  (Read 46129 times)

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
[AZ] OSC Phone
« on: April 25, 2016, 05:31:43 PM »
Note: AZCtrl v0.5r0b310 or later is required
Note: for preset 1.1 AZCtrl v0.5r4b357 or later is required

YouTube installation and short demonstration video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5Gl61MvEuQ

Functions

Tab One (Strip):
 * sync button to (re)sync with Sonar
 * one strip control, with volume, pan, mute, solo, echo, arm, automation read/write
 * transport control with Markers (buttons), Jogger (measures), Stop/Play/Rec
 * current "Now time" display, color is changed during Play and Record
 * Current strip selection, current strip button toggle between Tracks and Buses (color indication). Selection is synced with the focused track in Sonar (bidirectionally).

Tab Two (Mix):
 * Time/Stop/Play/Rec as in the Tab One
 * 16 channels (WAI indicated in sonar), pressing channel name focus it (in sonar and so for Tab one), Mute/Solo can be "swiped" for fast operations.
 * No separated switch for buses, but switching in the Tab One and Sonar also affect the list
 * Next/Previous bank (long press) or shift to next/previous (short tap) buttons

Tab Three (ACT):
 * current ACT map in focus is displayed, it can be changed in Sonar independent from focused track
 * switching to this Tab from other automatically focus the first FX in the bin
 * FX button round throw all FX effects for focused tracks, including ProChannel modules
 * Synth button focus corresponding to the track Synth
 * Faders / Knobs buttons on the left/right side select corresponding parameter for control by the (only) fader. Current parameter is indicated separately on top of the faders.
 * Bank change buttons show next/previous 8 ACT faders/knobs
 * 8 ACT buttons work directly, with color indication

Tab Four (Send), v1.1:
 * current strip with switches between strips and strip types (as in the Strip tab)
 * transport section (as in the Strip tab)
 * 4 sends from the current strip, including on/off (press target name to switch), pre/post, send volume and pan

Requirements
 * Sonar (any version, tested with X2 and 2016)
 * (i/A)Phone with TouchOSC from http://hexler.net/software/touchosc
 * AZ Controller (see minimal version on the top)

Installation
 * Close Sonar
 * Install AZ Controller (download required version and run installer)
 * Download attached ".SPP" file
 * Start Sonar
 * From "Utilities" Sonar menu, start "CakeWalk Plug-in Manager", select "Control Surfaces", "AZ Controller", "Import..." and choose SPP file.
 * In Sonar Preferences / Control Surfaces add "AZ Controller" with both Input and Output set to None
 * From Utilities menu, open AZ Controller preferences, select "OSC Phone" preset (top left corder)
 * download attached ".touchosc" file, load it into TouchOSC (see its documentation how to do this)
 * start TouchOSC
 * in the AZCtrl Options Tab, press "Configure" in the "OSC" section. Check "Enabled". Put the ports you see to/from TouchOSC configuration. Put the Host you see into TouchOSC configuration. Press Ok in the AZCtrl OSC configuration dialog (observe "Active, 0 clients").
 * Press Done in TouchOSC. Observer "Active, 1 clients" in the AZCtrl and working preset (with some luck  ;) )
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 02:32:13 PM by azslow3 »

Offline balinas

Re: [AZ] OSC Phone, Adding several buttons/functions to TouchOSC
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 08:56:15 PM »
Alexey,

I have installed TouchOSC on my phone and can easily connect with Sonar PLT using AZ controller and your OSC-Phone-1-0 layout.  Everything works as you have set up.  I would like to add several buttons at this time.  One for 'UNDO' and one for 'place new marker.'

In TouchOSC editor, I can make the rectangle boxes and add the labels.  I am not sure how to now get TouchOSC to send the correct messages. 

Can you walk me through this step by step?

thanks!

Bart

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
Re: [AZ] OSC Phone
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 10:36:45 PM »
Hi Bart,

Nice to know you have decided to give it a try!

In TouchOSC the simplest way to define new button is to copy existing. Let say "Stop" button. It has 2 elements, the button and the label. Copy/paste the button first. In the left side, change the Name to "Undo" (not really important) and "/stop" to "/undo" in the OSC section (that is important). Copy/paste the label then. Also change the name, OSC (to "/undo/label") and the text.

On the AZ Controller side, follow "Quick start" step-by-step tutorial in the Manual section. With the following changes: you start from current OSC preset instead of "blank", during hardware learning, press the button on your phone (you should see "/undo" in the "Last MIDI event") and press "Assign OSC" instead of "Assign MIDI". As the action, you need only one (instead of 2 in the tutorial): "Command" "<Menu>" "Edit | Undo".

In can be a bit hard to define your first button, but once done you will be able to add another one in no time (tip: you can use "Dup." button in the "Options"/"Hardware controls", with your first button selected).

Please do not hesitate to ask if something is still unclear, any questions are welcome.

Offline balinas

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 01:39:07 AM »
Thanks!  That works well.  I have added a small 'undo' and Marker box.  I will also need to add a small 'enter' to be able to clear the Marker dialogue box.

This will also help with redoing a few of the MCU PRO buttons.

I will play with this for a while and see what else I 'need' when sitting back in the 'isolation' room.

thanks,   -Bart

Offline balinas

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 01:42:48 AM »
HA!  the time difference was screwing with my head there for a minute!  I was wondering, 'How did he answer me "yesterday" to a post I just did today?!'

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 08:07:59 AM »
HA!  the time difference was screwing with my head there for a minute!  I was wondering, 'How did he answer me "yesterday" to a post I just did today?!'
:)
That you can try to fix in Profile / Modify Profile / Look an layout / Time offset.

Offline balinas

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 10:35:09 PM »
I have added an 'UNDO', 'New Marker', and 'Enter' buttons for the TouchOSC.  They work well.  Seems easy to add the simple push button/single command switch.  eventually I would like to add a new page to your template that has an input level monitoring meter and a slider to adjust the input gain.  This is because from where I sit to record, the computer screen gets awfully small and hard to see.  And if the gain needs adjusting, I need to get up, navigate back to the computer, reset the gain, go back to the recording area, then try it out. 

Is this possible?  If eventually it is, what do you suggest that I look at next?

thanks,
Bart

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 09:57:27 AM »
Touch OSC has no direct support for level indicators, so it is better I create corresponding configuration. Please upload your current preset and I will add 4th page to it (otherwise you will have to redo your buttons).

With gain it depends from what you mean. Sonar track "gain" is digital, probably you want adjust the gain on your audio interface. Which interface you use? Most of them unfortunately have analog gain, but then you can not adjust it on computer as well. If it is MIDI adjustable, we can try to make it work.

Offline balinas

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 10:51:08 PM »
I am not sure what preset file to send back.  When I look at the preset folder, there are several files: MCU, Quick start, OSC Phone 1.0, and OSC Phone 1.0a.

None of these appear to have the file extension allowed to be sent.  The OSC Phone 1.0a is the saved configuration with the couple of added buttons.

What would i need to do to get this to you?

I understand the difference you describe between the digital gain in Sonar and the analog gain.  I am using a VS-100 for my Audio input.  The recording input meter signal alone would be a help, so that I can see if I am getting signals close to what I want.  I usually adjust the input gain on the VS-100 with the sensitivity knob, but having some ability to even tweak the digital gain in Sonar may help. 

thanks,

Bart

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 10:05:22 AM »
To save the preset:
1) open AZ Controller interface
2) in the top left corner, enter new name, f.e. "OSC with commands". Press Diskette icon to save it (internally)
3) open Cakewalk Plug-in Manager from Sonar utilities menu. Select "Control Surfaces" / "AZ Controlle" and press "Export"
4) select the file name and select the preset you have saved before in the lower list, press Save.

You can attach resulting .spp file to posts in this forum.

Offline balinas

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 02:36:54 PM »
Ok.  Here are the files attached.  The one labeled OSC_Phone_1_0a.touchosc is the template changes I made in TouchOSC editor.

thanks. 

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 12:07:11 PM »
I attach modified version. Please note that you need b356 or later version of AZ Controller (currently the test version, you can find in Downloads).

The implementation is a bit dirty, but should work. As I wrote, TouchOSC has no direct support for level indicators.

Also note that you have created some "orphaned" controls (Detached), I have not cleaned them.

May be we should check either we can digitally control the gain on VS100. On VS20 that is possible.

Offline balinas

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 05:17:57 PM »
I downloaded the b356 version of AZ controller and installed it.  The control surface dialog for AZ Controller confirms it is the b356 version.

I downloaded the two files in your last post, and brought up the latest TouchOSC template in the editor, and imported the lasted OSC with Commands into the plug in manager. 

The editor confirms the added 4th page.  The AZ Controller dialog box confirms the /gfader changes.  The Gain fader works in increasing/decreasing the digital input gain for the selected track.  The only thing I don't see is any input levels on the meter on the 4 th page of the TouchOSC template. 

The one mechanical slider on the VS-100 is currently response to the 'volume' control of the selected track.  This is probably set somewhere in the preset controller info that is in Sonar, but I don't know how to confirm or change that to having the slider change the input gain.  I know you can make the VS-100 a total ACT surface, but I believe in that mode it can't be used as an audio input device.

Offline balinas

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2017, 05:50:44 PM »
With the 'gain' input working, I decided to start recording something.  Then all of a sudden the meters on the 4th page start working!  So I will work with this right now.  Not sure why it took a while to start, but it finally has.  I will play with this for a while, and let you know. 

thanks,

bart

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2017, 07:29:16 PM »
If level it not working, you can "troubleshoot" that.

First of all, that is not "input level". It is the same level as in Sonar, so post fader.
Second, you should "switch" to the 4th page when communication is established. Switching pages is also a signal ("/1", ... "/4"), it set the "Page" state (you can check all states in the "Overview" tab).
Third, check that LvlLED states are changing when you start playback (again on the overview page).