Author Topic: AZ Velocity MIDI FX  (Read 16504 times)

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
AZ Velocity MIDI FX
« on: January 08, 2016, 09:52:21 PM »

What it is
MIDI FX (MFX) plug-in for Sonar to change MIDI Notes velocity. A complimentary plug-in to Cakewalk Velocity MFX with "free hand" curve drawing.

The result is normally called "Dynamics" or "Response curve" in keyboards/DPs world. Such functionality is build-in into most piano VSTi and some general purpose synths. But not in all of them and usually with some limitations on the curve (linear, fast, slow). 

Installation package includes two DX format plug-ins (32 and 64 bits). So far tested with 32bit Sonar X2 and 64bit Sonar Platinum.

Why it is there
Other DAWs support MFX in VST format, so current third party products are VST only. Sonar does not support VST MFX (they can be used, but not convenient way and with some general problems).

Installation
  • Close Sonar
  • Visit AZ Velocity download section and download the installer
  • Run the installer, on modern Windows you get a warning that you run unsigned executable from the Internal. In case you trust me and you get the installer from this (my) site, you can ignore the warning
  • The plug-in is in DX format, no VST scan required

How to use
Insert "AZ Velocity" into MIDI track "FX bin" (Track Inspector for Instrument Tracks can be switched to MIDI in the bottom right corner).
Open the interface. By default the curve is linear (means no changes in values). You can draw arbitrary curve yourself.

Horizontally are 128 (from 0 to 127) input velocity, vertically also 128 possible values for output velocity.
NOTE: I strongly suggest to keep the first value (zero) mapped to zero, even if all other values are the same ("no dynamics"). MIDI Note with Velocity 0 is normally interpreted as "Note Off". Mapping it to something else can produce side effects.

Draw by "click" or "click and drag" (with left mouse button).

Default linear curve can be restored by double clicking.

Input velocities (live of from the track) are displayed for orientation.

You can save curves for future use by standard Cakewalk preset management (the top of the window). Import/Export can be done with Cakewalk Plug-in Manager (Utilities menu).

As with other MFXes, you can permanently apply the effect on MIDI Clips using "Process/Apply effect..." in Sonar.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 09:13:17 PM by azslow3 »

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
Re: AZ Velocity MIDI FX
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 07:13:14 PM »
Changelog
13.01.2016 - UI enhancement

Offline mudgel

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 03:44:48 PM »
Hi Alexsey,
Sorry I've been so long getting to this!
Is this your plugin? From your post in the Cakewalk>Software forum it sounds like a program you found on the net and here it sounds like it's one of yours? I think it must be yours but I missed something with your English and my understanding.

Thanks,
Mike V

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 05:39:05 PM »
Hi Mike,

As you can see in the screen-shot of UI, it is from "www.azslow.com". It is also called "AZ Velocity". During the installation you agree with my license...  So I have thought the origin is well defined  8)

Offline shep

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 06:43:44 PM »
I'm looking for a velocity program that may not exist - anywhere. I'd love to have a Midi app that allows you to make a custom velocity map per note across the keyboard. I have so many soft synths that I want to control this way. Playing a piano that has a dozen notes that always have to be raised/reduced in a 5 minute song is painful. And every piano is different. Do you know of such an app, sir? Much appreciated! - Shep

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 10:23:56 AM »
Have you tried this plug-in? If yes, do you think that in case I will allow to define separate curve for each note it will do what you want?

If curves you want per note are systematic and you want define them using some algorithm, AZ Lua can be a better choice. But it has no graphical curve editor, all curves will have to be defined by tables (numbers) or some parametric functions.

Offline STEPHANVS

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2021, 11:28:26 AM »
Sorry for the necro, BUT since shep did not answer, I will do it: YES, I am too looking for a per note velocity mfx plugin just like this one!