Author Topic: [Hermu] NOVATION Impulse 49/61  (Read 46259 times)

Offline smasha

Re: [Hermu] NOVATION Impulse 49/61
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2021, 12:09:42 PM »
That is a combination of preset definitions (which you can change... well, with some effort ;) ) and Cakewalk long existing definitions (from Sonar, but still in CbB).

In the preset from the first post in this thread Fader 9 is controlling the first WAI Main (hardware) channel. By default, that will be left channel of the first pair of outputs of your audio interface. By default, hardware outputs are not linked in Cakewalk (there is an icon to link them), so the right channel stay untouched.

Usually Cakewalk users are not touching hardware outputs in projects, leaving them at 0dB. For the purpose of "Master" volume people use a Bus named "Master". AZ Controller supports "named strips", so the preset can be changed to control the bus "Master". But the author of this particular preset has decided to control hardware output (probably he link them). Everyone is free to have own approach  8)

Aaah,I get you.
TY for the quick replay.

So I need to create a new software Master bus and assign split left and right channels to that bus as Channel 9 is controlling the hardware master bus.

I have an old E-MU 1212m card.
I can create an extra asio channel strip in the E-MU Patchmix and make a master bus from that.
Will the AZslow channel 9 recognise the new master bus or do I need to do some fiddling under the hood?

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2021, 02:51:51 PM »
The simplest you can do is just press "Lock" button in the Main section, to lock left and right channel of E-MU output. Fader 9 continue control just left one, but since they are locked it will work as expected.

If you go "Master" bus approach, the preset has to be modified. You don't need any new strips, just create a new bus "Master", move it to the first position (in the Track view) and assign its output to your usual hardware output. Everything else should be routed to that bus.
Open AZ Controller GUI, click on "Logic" tab, select "_fFaderPar(_Ch)" in the Logic Control section, click on "_Ch:9 - WAI Master Volume" action in the list, in the Action configuration section change "Master" to "Bus" and "<First in WAI>" to "<First>".

If you don't want "Master" bus always in the first position... Click on "Options" Tab, in "Software States" section select "<New set>" (in the first drop box), type "_BusName" in the input bos right of it, press "Save". Modify "Default" in the input box to "Master" and press "Save" again. Return to the "Logic" tab and change "<First>" to "_BusName". "Master" will appear on the right (since that is the only choice).

Offline smasha

« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2021, 04:14:25 PM »
You are a legend TY.

I tried the first approach ,I did not need to add a Master Bus in the track view,the master Bus is first in my console view but changing those parameters fixed the pan and balance issues.

Thank you very much.

Offline smasha

« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2022, 08:58:40 AM »
Getting problems with the Mod Wheel and Sustain pedal playing on midi Channel 3 instead of 1 with this latest preset and last release AZ Slow.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 09:01:15 AM by smasha »

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2022, 09:25:08 PM »
Do you mean it was working differently with some previous release?
As you can see on the first 2 pages of this thread, once Impulse is in DAW mode, it use channel 1 messages for DAW controls. And so it sends "normal" modwheel to channel 3. From my understanding, that can't be fixed by preset in AZ Controller.
You can force channel for any track to 1, so any message will be as from channel one (you will need to use Cakewalk MIDI plug-in to render that permanently into MIDI items).

Offline smasha

« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2022, 10:31:11 PM »
I have the latest release version installed.

I reset my Impulse to factory settings and upgraded the Impulse firmware.

Then I open Reaper to test the sustain pedal and mod wheel.

All is working fine.

Then I open Cakewalk,assign the Impulse to use the AZSlow in the usual way.

Then I test my Impulse and the Sustain and Mod Wheels no longer function.

AZSlow kills the Sustain Pedal and Mod Wheel in other DAWs as well.

Then I have to reset the Impulse to factory settings again to get my Sustain pedal and Mod Wheel back again.

I am on Windows 11.

P.S. I tried just re setting the Impulse to factory settings then using AZ Slow but the problem still remains.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 11:10:42 PM by smasha »

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2022, 11:59:15 PM »
"AZSlow" is my nick... And I don't kill anyone. What you try to use inside Cakewalk is "AZ Controller", the program I have written.
Also the preset you try to use is developed by Hermu, not by me.
So you can also write Windows 11 is killing you Sustain Pedal, just because Cakewalk is working inside, AZ Controller is working inside Cakewalk and preset is loaded into AZ Controller.
Or you can blame your computer manufacturer...

Note that nothing is "killed" and you don't have to do full factory reset. The reason and how to get it back from the DAW mode is mentioned on the first 2 pages of this thread.

Do you use HUI firmware on the controller and HUI plug-in in REAPER? Then Impulse should have 3 MIDI inputs/outputs, one of pair is HUI and you can try to use HUI preset for AZ Controller. It has limited functionality, but I guess your pedal and mod wheel can stay on channel 1. The preset in this thread is not working in HUI mode.

If you use Impulse DAW mode, both controls are on Channel 3. Novation decision. That is not a bug in AZ Controller nor inside preset from Hermu.

Offline smasha

« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2022, 02:15:32 AM »
I'll give it a miss for now.
All good.
Kill has many meanings mate.

;D
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 02:17:04 AM by smasha »