Author Topic: [Hermu] NOVATION Impulse 49/61  (Read 46269 times)

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
Re: [Hermu] NOVATION Impulse 49/61
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2019, 10:34:49 AM »
Documentation and Tutorials explain how you can created good preset for any controller. But depending from complexity you want to achieve, be prepared to invest some time.
Without minimal background in MIDI and programming, that can be difficult.

Offline smasha

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2020, 04:17:15 AM »
Can't see anything on the Impulse or in cakewalk to show it is working.

I don't have a clue how to use this.

:'(

Is there a guide for dummies?

Or are we left to rot in the corner?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 05:04:33 AM by smasha »

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2020, 09:15:42 AM »
Have you done the installation sequence mentioned in the first post?
So AZ Controller should be installed and instantiated inside Cakewalk, pointing to Impulse MIDI IO. Preset installed and selected.

If yes, I can help to troubleshoot why it does not work. If no, write which part of the installation sequence is unclear.

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2020, 05:22:33 PM »
Please stop spamming all places you can find about the topic and explain at which stage you are stuck with setup. Assuming you are not 2 years old... because in that case it will be difficult to proceed.

Offline keki

« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2020, 02:50:17 PM »
Hi,

Does this preset already have the mappings for the built in Plug-Ins?

I'm looking at the SI-Electric Piano and in AZ Controller GUI I can see in the ACT tab it looks like there are mappings but none of the Plug-In params change when I turn the rotors.

Thanks,

Kevin.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 02:59:51 PM by keki »

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2020, 09:31:12 PM »
Hi Kevin,

AZ Controller presets do not come with plug-ins mappings. You need to "ACT learn" plug-ins you want (eventually use AZ ACT Fix utility, to backup/fix/clear/create mappings).

Usual procedure apply, as described in Cakewalk documentation. Important to set your controller (the preset) into ACT mode. You should see the mode on AZ Display (not the same as ACT tab in AZ Controller GUI, see the first post in this thread).

In short, once you switch controller to ACT mode, press "A L" button in plug-in window, move parameters in plug-in with mouse, turn/move/press corresponding controls on device (in the same sequence), press "A L" button again, confirm assignment in appeared dialog, done.

PS. Note that such way produce different result from MIDI learn inside plug-in. ACT is used to control parameters throw automations, MIDI does that throw the track MIDI input.  In case of software instruments, MIDI learn sometimes is preferred way for recording performance (simper to edit in PRV to sync with modified notes). I do not think this preset supports switching controls into MIDI mode, so you will need to switch on the hardware side (so controls are sending events not defined in the preset). That is just for info, not to confuse you ;)

Offline keki

« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2020, 03:40:16 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I noticed that if I change:

Overview -> Current Software State -> Mode

From Track to ACT then controller works on the Plug-Ins (but no longer on the Mixer) based on the mappings in the ACT tab.

I guess the question now is, is there a way to toggle between Track/ACT quickly?

Thanks,

Kevin.

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2020, 02:55:15 PM »
The documentation is in the first post, from Hermu. Including:
[Shift]+[Button 2] - Select Mode: Track
[Shift]+[Button 3] - Select Mode: Bus
[Shift]+[Button 4] - Select Mode: ACT

Offline keki

« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2020, 04:29:59 PM »
Thanks! I did read the whole thread a couple of times - guess I missed it - just a lot to take in  :)

Offline Unsafe Sax

« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2020, 07:11:07 PM »
So far, so good.  I just need to know where the Novation Impulse .SPP located.

Thanks!

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2020, 07:15:41 PM »
You can download it from the first post in this thread. Then you have to import it using Cakewalk Plug-in Manager (from Utilities menu in Cakewalk)

Offline Unsafe Sax

« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2020, 09:07:24 PM »
Thanks, AZ!  Went by it several times.  Sorry to be such a newb  :o

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2020, 11:37:34 PM »
Thanks, AZ!  Went by it several times.  Sorry to be such a newb  :o
Don't worry, I have written AZ Controller mostly because I have not understood Cakewalk documentation about control surfaces. Only after I have written "ACT MIDI explained", I have realized for my purpose Cakewalk own plug-in could be sufficient.  8)

Offline smasha

« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2021, 11:36:15 AM »
I finally got this working with Cakewalk by Bandlab but there are  two problems.

When I turn the Master Fader or volume slider 9 on the Impulse to minimum and turn track 1 up on the Impulse,there is still sound coming out of the right speaker,the left is muted like it should be.

Also when I move ENC 1 (pan) to the right on the Impulse and turn down slider 9 (master Fader),I still hear the right channel,it is only when the left channel is set to 0  with  the master fader (Volume slider 9)set to 0 -INF that there is no sound.

Awesome utility besides those two issues.

P.S. I am using the latest beta version of AZSlow.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 11:52:59 AM by smasha »

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2021, 12:00:04 PM »
That is a combination of preset definitions (which you can change... well, with some effort ;) ) and Cakewalk long existing definitions (from Sonar, but still in CbB).

In the preset from the first post in this thread Fader 9 is controlling the first WAI Main (hardware) channel. By default, that will be left channel of the first pair of outputs of your audio interface. By default, hardware outputs are not linked in Cakewalk (there is an icon to link them), so the right channel stay untouched.

Usually Cakewalk users are not touching hardware outputs in projects, leaving them at 0dB. For the purpose of "Master" volume people use a Bus named "Master". AZ Controller supports "named strips", so the preset can be changed to control the bus "Master". But the author of this particular preset has decided to control hardware output (probably he link them). Everyone is free to have own approach  8)