Preset for NOVATION Impulse 49/61 to use in DAW-Mode

Last Update October 15, 2017:
- additional functional improvements
- Track, Bus and ACT mode support

How to use:
1. download and install latest AZ Controller version
2. Connect NOVATION Impulse 49/61 with BasicMIDI Setup
3. Start Cakewalk and load a Project
4. use Cakewalk Plugin Manager and import "Novation Impulse 61.spp" for AZ Controller
5. configure AZ Controller and assign NOVATION Impulse 61 Input-/Outputport
6. after attached plugin "NOVATION Impulse 61" is selected and loaded, NOVATION Impulse 61 is initialised to use in DAW-Mode
the NOVATION Impulse 49/61 buttons Mixer (near the faders) and Plugin (near rotarys) are now on and can be switched on/off
if NOVATION Impulse 49/61 did not work, please check connection and port assignements.

Preset Configuration (Mixer and Transport):
Mixer=On
Plugin=On

SHIFT:
=====

[Shift]+[Track >] - Shift Mixer to next track
[Shift]+[< Track] - Shift Mixer to previous track
[Shift]+[Bank ^] - Shift Mixer to previous track -8
[Shift]+[Bank v] - Shift Mixer to next track +8
[Shift]+[Page ^] - Select next Bank 1..4
[Shift]+[Page v] - Select previous Bank 4..1
[Shift]+[Button 2] - Select Mode: Track
[Shift]+[Button 3] - Select Mode: Bus
[Shift]+[Button 4] - Select Mode: ACT
[Shift]+[<<] - Goto Previous Marker
[Shift]+[>>] - Goto Next Marker
[Shift]+[Stop] - Goto Start
[Shift]+[Play] - Set Marker, Marker can also be set during playback

Bank select:
========
[Shift]+[Page ^] - Select next Bank 1..4
[Shift]+[Page v] - Select previous Bank 4..1

Button select:
=========
Mutes/Solos button switches Mute/Solo button functionality

Bank1,2,3:
- Button: Off = Track/Bus: Mutes - ACT: actual values
- Button: On = Track/Bus: Solos - ACT: actual values

Bank4:
- Button: Off - Track/Bus: Select Track/Bus - ACT: actual values
- Button: On - Track: Rec.Arms - Bus: Solos - ACT: actual values

Mixer:
====
Fader 1..8 - Track Volume with Track Select for Track 1..8
Fader 9 - Main Volume for Stereo Master
Encoder 1..8 - Encoder Value for Track Pan, Bus Pan and ACT Values
Mute/Solo 1..8 - see Button select
9/Master - see Button select

Transport:
=======
<< - Rewind or stops playback on actual playback position
>> - Forward or stops playback on actual playback position
Stop
Play - Start/Pause playback or stops active rewind/forward and continues playback on actual position
Loop On/Off
Record

rivers88:
I've been using this with my Impulse 49, and it is REALLY nice -
Thank you for the work that must have gone into this!!

One problem I have noticed -
Whenever I use the template with Sonar, it remaps the MIDI channel of my Mod Wheel.
Instead of Channel 1, like all the other controls, it changes the mod wheel to Channel 3.
I have to do a factory reset on the Impulse 49 to get the Mod Wheel channel back to Channel 1.

I'm still very new to the AZSlow plugin, so any tips on how to address & correct this issue would be appreciated.

Thanks!

azslow3:
Hermu's preset just activate one of Impulse presets, it does not remap anything. So you can reconfigure MIDI Channel for ModWheel on Impulse itself, the change can be saved and so it will be permanent.

My answer is based on Impulse documentation and how I understand it, in case that does not work or you need more precise instructions, try to ask on Novation related forums (I think that is not DAW).

rivers88:
Appreciate the quick feedback!

Unfortunately, this issue does appear to be caused to the control surface plugin preset -

I can do a factory reset restore for all the Impulse 49 settings, and everything reverts back to MIDI Channel 1, including the Mod Wheel channel.
(I'm using the default "BasicMIDI" keyboard preset on the Impulse)

Using the same Impulse keyboard preset, if I launch Sonar without the control surface setup, everything is sending MIDI Channel 1, as expected, but of course none of the mixer functions are mapped.

Using the same Impulse preset, as soon as I enable the control surface settings using this plugin preset, all the mixer and other keyboard functions are enabled properly and transmitting MIDI Channel 1, but for some reason the template resets the Mod Wheel to MIDI Channel 3.  I have to manually reset the Mod Wheel to Channel 1 - but the plugin preset sets it right back to MIDI channel 3, which definitely causes a problem when trying to use the Mod wheel with my synth plugins and external hardware.

Note that once the MIDI channel is changed by the plugin preset, and with the keyboard still at the default "BasicMIDI" preset, the Mod Wheel remains on Channel 3 even after I exit Sonar, until I manually reset the keyboard settings (i just use factory restore - quicker that way...)

I don't know if using the Impulse 49 with the Impulse 61 plugin preset might be part of the problem, but I haven't had the chance to spend much time with the plugin at this point, and am a bit of a loss a to where to look to try to figure out which settings are causing the Mod Wheel to change from MIDI channel 1 to Channel 3. So far, it appears that the Mod Wheel is the only control MIDI channel that appears to be changed by the plugin preset; all the other controls appear to be working as expected.

Appreciate the help with this!!

azslow3:
If you send me the documentation with SysEx sequences to change Mod Wheel channel (I have not found such information in the user manual), I (or you) can check where it is sent. Hermu is sending some text messages (for display), may be one of it by mistake change the channel.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version