Author Topic: Capture pre project load  (Read 6359 times)

Offline sdupayage

Capture pre project load
« on: October 26, 2015, 07:15:01 PM »
Hi,

On the normal Mackie surface module when Sonar is opened but no project is yet loaded the control still displays a message over the MC LCD basically saying that no project is loaded. This is quite nice because it cleans the LCD display and make sure when you load a new project you don't have garbage staying there. Especially when you unload a project it cleans the display out too.

Is this something your controller can handle?

Many thanks,
Stéphane

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
Re: Capture pre project load
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 08:12:55 PM »
Not in current incarnation... There is a good reason why i actually not load preset before I see that project is loaded (depending on preset, Sonar can crash).

Once some project is loaded, there should be no garbage (if preset is constructed correctly).

But in case you need that "cleaning" initially and after unload, I can check how I can implement it without breaking the rest.

BTW which preset are you using and for which device?

Offline sdupayage

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 12:27:51 AM »
Thanks I'm trying to build my own based on your Mackie directions. It could be good then to be able to identify when a project loads and when a project unload so that you can do some cleaning first and after. Some sort of onload, onunload events...

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 12:46:43 AM »
Mackie preset is in fact not the best example how to do things... It was written before many improvements in the workflow (originally there was no functions, parametric Software Sets, etc) and this preset was never really tested (I use modified version of it with TouchDAW, just for very simple but very special operations).

I can detect when project is loaded and than at some point when it is no longer loaded. But I can not allow arbitrary actions, in fact I do not want allow any actions which interact with Sonar (since I have made such restriction, I have no Sonar crash on startup). What I can do is introduce some "no project" SysEx/MIDI sending to surface as a separate (not in Actions) block.

Offline sdupayage

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 10:33:16 AM »
That could work, yes if there we can send some specific LCD, Button & Fader reset. It would help "clearing" the device status.

I am not actually reusing your preset but getting inspired by your tuto notes on the mackie preset but that being said what would be the best preset to have a look at to see what could be the best approach? The BCD one?

Thanks,
Stéphane

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 01:40:26 PM »
The last relatively complex preset I have created myself was Alphatrack. BCR is a good source as well. Note that Mackie preset is program generated, creating some parts manually can be nightmare.
In general, once you know which functionality you want do not hesitate to ask which approach to implement it is better. I probably can not answer on all such questions, but we have found reasonable solutions for many problems. Also in case I see something is hard to implement using existing functions, I schedule code modification for that.

I put initialization MIDI into TODO. I have several tasks at the moment (CS and not CS related) and that should be implemented properly (without activating preset). So please be patient.

Offline sdupayage

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 02:09:09 PM »
Ok I'll have a look at those two. I'm more into starting from scratch than using pre existing presets mainly because like this I know exactly how it works instead of doing heavy reverse engineering. May take longer but experience gained is priceless.

I'll be patient here of course no problem with that.

Take care,
Stéphane

Offline MarKo

• Power user
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 06:26:27 PM »
Hi,
Ok I'll have a look at those two. I'm more into starting from scratch than using pre existing presets mainly because like this I know exactly how it works instead of doing heavy reverse engineering. May take longer but experience gained is priceless.
i took the same way, and although it took quite some time and experimenting to understand how all this is working, the result was it really worth for me.
Maybe you are interested in my beginnings and progress - you can read the long story how this evolved in the BCR-threads.
Just a tip from me: don´t try to fully understand a comlex preset, which was written by someone else, it´s really complicated.
Instead i learned most with short sample-presets, which Alexey provided when i had a question/problem. Then putting together the pieces, when you understand how it works.
If you are interested in something specific of my preset, i can try to help/explain or show you the relevant parts of the logic.

Offline sdupayage

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 12:00:55 AM »
Thanks. I'll definitelyhave a look at your BCR thread and keep on going with my experiments :)