Author Topic: Github hosted source! :D [refused]  (Read 6872 times)

Offline ikatsuke

Github hosted source! :D [refused]
« on: September 27, 2014, 05:40:06 AM »
Depending on how you feel about sharing the code I'd say hosting it in github will bring a lot of attention, bug reporting and collaboration. I am decent at a few languages myself and wouldn't mind providing some help with the coding if you needed it :)

But I understand if you were to prefer to keep it private ^^
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 05:37:23 PM by azslow3 »

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
Re: Github hosted source! :D
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 12:36:47 PM »
I am working in science near all my life, so everything I normally write is open source by definition.

But the plug-in is an addition to commercial, not open source and relatively expensive program.

Original idea still was making the source open. But once I have understood that I can not compile CW code out of the box without spending ~$300 on compiler, I have changed my mind.

Note, that I do not use the CW code at all, only COM IDL. They have released the code under MIT license and you can find direct replay to me from CW that I am free to choose license I want.

Looking at related projects (BCF, etc.) with open source I do not see that helps in any case.

Offline ikatsuke

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 08:41:40 PM »
Fair enough. Guess I was thinking more along the lines of enabling pull requests so that you could bring in changes from other people to help when u were busy. But all good :)

Offline microapp

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 11:40:50 PM »
Awhile back, I took a the look at the source provided by CW with the intention  of possibly creating something like what you have done. I was going to start with a programmable jog/shuttle. However the source seemed overly complex and I became bogged down with major projects at work. You mention $300 for a compiler. I was under the impression that the CW source could be compiled with the free VC++ Express V10. Is this not the case ?

Michael

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 09:10:48 AM »
I have started with installing VC Express. But I have not found MFC here.

I have found several "tricks" how to use MFC with Express, but I have not tried them. In fact for what I want I hardly could use big parts from the CW code.

Offline microapp

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 08:08:21 PM »
I felt the same way. What I wanted to do required very little of the example project. The documentation is so poor (sparse) that modifying the example(s) seemed overwhelming. 
When I have the time, I intend to simply use the provided IDL and build around that.

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 12:20:24 AM »
I am not going to disclose my source code, but if you want some tips how to use IDL under gcc (MinGW) that is not a problem. I am ready to open that part under the same conditions as the original CW source. But it will take some time to prepare, so in case no one really need that, I prefer spend the time to advance my AZC.

Offline microapp

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 04:55:25 AM »
I do not believe I asked for your source code. Not really interested in gcc anyway. The only thing I have asked you is what in your tool chain cost $300?

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 11:53:41 AM »
In my tool chain nothing cost $300.

1. I have downloaded the source from CW
2. I have downloaded VS free version (not 90 days trial)
3. I have tried to compile the example - without success. After short investigation, I have understood that MFC is required.
4. I have checked which VS version has MFC and how much it will cost. The cheapest price I have found was ~$300
5. I have converted manually the IDL into C (not C++) and I have found out how to write and compile COM libraries just with C compiler (can be gcc, MS, Intel or whatever). That I can publish on my site/github, but it requires some preparation (structuring, simple working example, comment). So I have not done that yet.
6. I am developing universal Control Surface plug-in using (5) as the basis. The plug-in has no open source.