Author Topic: Soft synth focusing  (Read 13956 times)

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
Soft synth focusing
« on: October 16, 2015, 04:44:56 PM »
Note: b289 or later version is required for attached test preset.

Reading advertisements for new controllers (I guess you know names), I have remembered one feature I was missing. If I select some track, I would like to open the interface of corresponding Soft Synth. That is especially handy in case there are several instances of the same synth, so you can be sure you see what you really want to see.

Attached preset requires no real hardware and should work once loaded. It opens Synth every time you select some track related to it (and it closes whatever Synth it has opened before, not interesting on modern Sonar since it can do that automatically, but useful for older versions). If several tracks are related to the same synth, the result should be as expected (no "flickering").

Tested in X2 and SPlat.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 10:36:56 AM by azslow3 »

Offline MarKo

• Power user
Re: Soft synth focusing
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 09:57:06 PM »
Hi Alexey,

i just tried this and i like that, i will have to include that too ;)
i only have to find a free place for this function  >:(
because i don´t want it to execute on every track-change - just on button press.
i think i understand how it works, but the last "Open" seems not neccessary?

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 10:46:11 PM »
but the last "Open" seems not neccessary?
You are right, I have just forgot to "clean up" it.

Offline MarKo

• Power user
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 11:04:35 PM »
You are right
maybe not...
now i want that on a button press. i thought that should be simple - and it was - until i found the problems.
if i do the same on a button, i can open/close the current synth just once.
i think it´s because the same synth-name is stored in both slots after the first press, so it opens/closes very quickly. so i thought that maybe your last "open" was perhaps on purpose and tried that. but this did not work  :(
although it should?
it works only, if i focus another track and press this button there, so the stored synth "slot" gets updated. so i can open/close each synth just once.
how would you code this to open/close synth on button press?

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 12:22:53 AM »
I remember now for what that open was good. When I close "previous" synth, while the focus is stay on the new one, closed synth get "highlighted" in the Rack window. This extra "open" fix that.

There is no "toggle" for the interface and there is no way to check either it is opened. The strategy is still monitor the change and close previous only in case it was really opened (remembering switches and open/close status in extra states). I will try to make such preset tomorrow.

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 10:45:00 AM »
I have uploaded modified preset. It is also "not perfect" for your case: if you have kept UI open, then you change the track (without opening other UI) and then you have returned to your original track and press the button, it will close it as expected but then not open on next press (only on one more press).

I can introduce "comparison" either saved parameter is equal to current selection and that can solve that problem, but I still can not detect either UI is already opened. So there still will be some imperfection. But for me it looks like current preset is reasonable compromise.

So, with current preset, to not open UI automatically you should delete "Send MIDI" from the monitor and assign MIDI from your control. The button should open/close UI for current synth. It should also close previously opened UI of other Synth.

Offline MarKo

• Power user
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 10:22:36 PM »
Thanks for example, but i have strange effects.
I deleted the MIDI-loopback and assigned a button.
if i´m on a synth-track, the synth is opening on note-on, but immediately closes on release, which i can not understand, because there is no Note-off-action? Sometimes it does also quickly open/close.
so it´s somehow working, but currently i can´t figure ..

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 10:58:12 PM »
Can it be that you have not configured "off" correctly? I mean in case button is sending "CC 0" when released, you should declare it with "pad" type (so CC 0 is interpreted as "off") or insert "value:0 undefined final".

Offline MarKo

• Power user
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 08:59:53 AM »
yes, this could be the reason.
to stupid that i did not think of that, instead i was wondering from where the note-off action came >:(
i will look in the evening.

Offline MarKo

• Power user
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 07:15:41 PM »
yes, this could be the reason.
of course that was it!
really too stupid, esp. because i saw the note-off action and wondered from where that came...
thanks.