Author Topic: Problems with Komplete Kontrol Mk1  (Read 5286 times)

Offline Notecrusher

Problems with Komplete Kontrol Mk1
« on: April 15, 2019, 12:26:08 AM »
I'm running the latest version of Cakewalk Bandlab, NI Komplete Kontrol Mk1 with latest firmware and KK software, and AZ Controller (3/15/19) with the MackieTransport preset. AZC has been setup according to instruction here, and the keyboard's transport controls control Bandlab nicely.

My problem is when running multiple instances of the KK container.

When I load two instances of KK in Bandlab, the keyboard keys correctly trigger the selected track and its associated instance of KK. On instruments that display a virtual keyboard, the virtual keys depress in sync with the keyboard. I can load an instrument and multiple FX in the first KK instance, and the keyboard's rotary knob parameters will update correctly based on the device I click in KK.

But I cannot get the keyboard's rotary knobs to sync with the 2nd instance of KK. The rotary knobs ALWAYS display and control instance 1's parameters, even when the keys are triggering instance 2.

According to the KK doc, you're supposed to be able to switch KK instances by pressing the INSTANCE button on the keyboard. When you press the INSTANCE button, a screen overlay is supposed to display a list of all your KK instances to allow you to select the one you want to control. But this doesn't work. A screen overlay does pop up. But all it displays is the text "MIDI MODE", an image of a midiplug, and beneath that, the text "Switch to MIDI mode".

Clicking on the midiplug image or anywhere else on this display does nothing. The keyboard parameters remain stuck on the first instance of KK.

I have tried clicking the other buttons on the keyboard, including SHIFT+INSTANCE, as well as everything I can find to click in the KK property window of the 2nd KK instance, but nothing I do will get the keyboard rotaries to control the parameters of the 2nd KK instance.

Is there a way to configure AZ Controller to handle KK instance switching?

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
Re: Problems with Komplete Kontrol Mk1
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 09:17:00 AM »
What you describe sounds like a problem with Komplete Kontrol. I suggest you ask on Bandlab forum and/or NI directly.

Keys, transport and knobs in MIDI mode are routed throw the DAW. So DAW settings and plug-ins, including AZ Controller, can influence how that controls work.

Knobs in Instance mode are routed internally by NI, the DAW and AZ Controller are not involved.

What a DAW plug-ins can do is, taking a tip from particular instance automation parameter and currently selected in the DAW track into account, ask KK to switch into particular instance automatically. But that obviously is not going to work in case you can not switch manually.
Also such automation is possible, it requires a possibility to find KK for selected track (Cakewalk does not have such functionality to surface plug-in directly and AZ Control workarounds are not always working). And there should be a call to convert automation parameter value to instance, I guess AZ Controller should be modified to do this.
I do not have NI keyboard, so I can not test/develop such integration.

Offline Notecrusher

Re: Problems with Komplete Kontrol Mk1
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 07:37:54 PM »
Thanks, I found the solution in one of the KK tutorials. You have to click the little keyboard icon at the top of the KK instance you want to activate.