Author Topic: Controlling Behringer mixers possible?  (Read 6384 times)

Offline madoues

Controlling Behringer mixers possible?
« on: October 25, 2017, 05:02:59 PM »
Hi,

I am interested to know if Novation LaunchControl XL could remotely control a Behringer XR18 mixer using your program/plugin? I presently use an Acer Aspire One netbook to control the XR18, but it seems to me the Novation controller would be a really nice addition to my setup. But for me the question is how can I do this, or is it even possible?

FYI, I have some computer and music software skills, but almost no remote controller experience.
Dan

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
Re: Controlling Behringer mixers possible?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 08:43:20 PM »
Hi Dan,

The following information is from the Internet, I do not have any related devices to test myself.

The mixer understand many control protocols:
* MIDI directly (throw MIDI connectors)
* MIDI throw Ethernet (lets call it XCtrl, that way it can communicated with X-Touch)
* OSC
* ??? other ???

AZ Controller speaks MIDI and OSC. XCtrl is planned.
So theoretically all that can play together.

But I have 3 comments for your idea:
1) AZ Controller was written to steer Sonar from something else, not as a bridge between 2 devices. While till some degree that is possible, that is a "wrong gun type" for such "target".
But if you plat to use XL for controlling Sonar and just want assign some knobs from it to control fixed parameters in XR (f.e. input gain), that is a good argument to give it a try.

2) Once of the big advantages of Digitar Mixers is the ability to "instant recall" all settings. So they can be well controlled by devices which also have "install recall", to stay in sync with the mixer. F.e. X-Touch since it has endless encoders and motor faders. LauchControl XL has finite controls only, so it can be used "one way" only, ignoring the mixer current settings.

3) Such project will take quite some time. For sure you can test how that works (see tips below), but assigning all control the way it is really helpful in reality, in other words "designing" the layout, is an iterative creative process. So first think either it worse the benefits.

---------
Possible scenario:
1) Sonar + AZ Controller, LauchControl is enabled in Sonar and set as "input" for AZ Controlelr. Check with "Quick start" tutorial that you can control track volume with some knob.
    You will need to learn at least basics of AZ Controller. I attach preset (required Test version of AZ Controller, at least b378, you can find it in Download section).
    I have tested that my MPK Mini knob can control TouchOSC fader using that preset. You will have to reassign MIDI for the Knob to some knob from your XL. And then modify OSC parameters.

2) find in internet how to control XR18 by OSC, you will need OSC "name"  for parameter in question. Replace "/volume" in the OSC Action for the Knob in AZ Controller to that name. Find IP of XR18, find which OSC port it has. Open OSC options in AZ Controller and set "Client port" to this port and "Fixed client" to XR18 IP. Set "Enable" (leave "No MIDI over OSC" as it is, XR18 probably understand such way as well but we are using direct OSC approach).

With some luck, it should work as expected.
-----------

Do not hesitate to ask questions, but if you have a bit of time, please read "ACT MIDI Explained", try "Startup preset" with your XL, read more about OSC. What you plan requires some background knowledge to not be lost in all that...

Offline madoues

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 02:51:01 PM »
Wow, thanks for your detailed answer azslow3!  :)

It will obviously take a bit of time for me to first digest your explanation
and then to decide which of the 2 scenarios (or both) to test.

I can see from your explanation that the mixer is much more flexible than I initially thought
in being able to be controlled by computers and interfaces.

However, I do like the occasional technical challenge which this will be for me, so I will take the time and give it a go.
I may be coming back with more questions for you depending on how it goes.

Dan

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 04:39:11 PM »
Just as a note, (1) and (2) and 2 required steps for one possible scenario, not 2 different scenarios...

Yes, they have made these mixers flexible. And you can find in the Internet how different people try to deal with that. From X-Touch surfaces up to custom OSC layouts. I have not seen many attempts to control the mixer with arbitrary MIDI devices, but I guess someone is doing that as well.

Offline gadeuvall2000

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 06:08:04 PM »
If Behringer X air 18 can control by OSC, then I'd like to get my hands on one so I could use it in a work environment with the OSC controller that uses screen reader/accessibility.  That would make my job so much easier!