Author Topic: Novation Launch Control (not XL)  (Read 46901 times)

Offline bbergen

Re: Novation Launch Control (not XL)
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2015, 04:52:52 PM »
On a side note, I wish Cakewalk would add an option to use "friendly names" for controllers.
I put in a request for that feature, maybe you could too?

Offline bbergen

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2015, 05:05:53 PM »
Are the up and down buttons supposed to change tracks?
The up is sending Ch. 15 CC114 value 127 when pressed.
The down button is sending Ch. 15 CC115 value 127 when pressed.

Can we use the right and left buttons for on/off instead of button 6?
The right button (which could be on) is sending Ch. 15 CC117 value 127 when pressed.
The left button (which could be off)  is sending Ch. 15 CC115 value 127 when pressed.
That way we could use buttons 3 and 6 the way I had originally imagined with the following color change:
Button 3 - Low Shelf Enable- Yellow On/Amber Off
Button 6 - High Shelf Enable - Yellow On/Amber Off
and use them all at full brightness.

Offline bbergen

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2015, 05:55:23 PM »
Just noticed an irregularity, when I hit the stop button on the transport control on the screen in Sonar, the LC changes from the factory template mode to the user template mode and the lc stops working as intended until you hit the factory template button.
There are no midi events associated with the factory template button here's what's associated with the user template button:
SysEx:<00 20 29> 2 a 77 0

Offline bbergen

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2015, 12:23:34 AM »
Ok, took care of the SysEx/User Template Button issue by disabling System Exclusive in Sonar.

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2015, 11:47:02 AM »
I have updated the preset:
1) On/Off colors are changed to LowRed/LowGreen
2) Shift colors are Amber/Yellow (and so for buttons with Shifted functionality)
3) EQ Style colors are Greed/Red/Amber/Yellow (full).
4) Up/Down move strip focus

I have not changed Left/Right since you write Left has CC115, but you also write down has CC115...
Note that buttons have one LED only (red).
Once you clarify that, I can move:
a) Shift (current 3) to "Left"
b) On/Off and style (current 6) to "Right". Style and On/Off are forced to use the same color, Red. Not sure buttons have intensity, I hope so.
c) 3 and 6 change to your original proposal

About SysEx and preset, check in Sonar preferences:
1) MIDI Playback and Recording: unset "Echo System Exclusive" and any ports under
2) Project MIDI: unset  (in case you do not need it) Transmit MMC, MIDI Start/Continue/..., MIDI Sync Output ports, Transmit MTC and MTC Output Ports.

Offline bbergen

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2015, 12:22:56 PM »
Oops, left button is Ch:15 CC116 value 127 when pressed.
right button is Ch:15 CC117 value 127 when pressed.
I apologize.

The double checked what messages the up and down buttons are sending and what I wrote is correct but they are working in opposite order with the preset, up is going down and down is going up.

Go ahead and take them all back to full brightness, the low brightness is kind of useless.

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2015, 01:30:09 PM »
Preset updated. Changes:

1) normal pad colors are again Red/Green (full)
2) Style colors: Black, Yello, MidAmber, Amber (so, different from normal)
3) Pad 3 - LF Shelf
4) Pad 6 - HF Shelf + EQ Style with shift
5) Up/Down fixed
6) Left is Shift now
7) Right is EQ On/Off now

Left/Right are indicated with Red when On. No light when Off.

Offline bbergen

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2015, 11:04:52 PM »
This is working incredibly!!!

Can you make one color change to buttons 3 & 6?
Button 3 - Low Shelf Enable- Yellow=On/Amber=Off - Both colors at full brightness
Button 6 - High Shelf Enable - Yellow=On/Amber=Off - Both colors at full brightness

Not quite sure what purpose the shift button does now, how about the left button turning gloss on/off instead of being a shift button...
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 11:11:33 PM by bbergen »

Offline bbergen

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2015, 11:39:24 PM »
One other thing, since this preset is geared towards the LC controlling the PCEQ, what do you think about renaming the preset to LaunchControl-PCEQ so if you add this preset in your builds, it will be evident that this is a specialized preset?

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2015, 12:49:44 AM »
This is working incredibly!!!

Can you make one color change to buttons 3 & 6?
Button 3 - Low Shelf Enable- Yellow=On/Amber=Off - Both colors at full brightness
Button 6 - High Shelf Enable - Yellow=On/Amber=Off - Both colors at full brightness

Not quite sure what purpose the shift button does now, how about the left button turning gloss on/off instead of being a shift button...
Shift is still used for:
a) Follow focus/do not follow focus
b) Gloss
c) EQ Style.
So, there are is 1 button (left, which is currently Shift) and 3 functions required to cover all.
When a button has shifted function, it is lighted Yellow/Amber when Shift is pressed. In case I change 3/6 colors, that will be easy to overseen.

Also (I know you do not want it now, but just in case...) to add more functionality we need the Shift. For example Shift+Up can switch between EQ and Comp mode. I think it is always good to keep something in reserve, and in case we eliminate shift, we loose such reserve.

What you think?

One other thing, since this preset is geared towards the LC controlling the PCEQ, what do you think about renaming the preset to LaunchControl-PCEQ so if you add this preset in your builds, it will be evident that this is a specialized preset?
Good idea!
Just one note: I am not adding manually made presets into builds, I just post them on forum in the Presets section. In builds are code generated presets only (like Faderport) which was easier to construct for me using "C" (due to complexity, but mostly historically).

Offline bbergen

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2015, 12:59:50 AM »
Ok, I understand what you mean, in that case, can we just change 3 and 6 as I suggested and make the shift function buttons low brightness?

Offline bbergen

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2015, 01:00:50 AM »
Also, I sent you a PM

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2015, 01:24:11 AM »
Ok, I understand what you mean, in that case, can we just change 3 and 6 as I suggested and make the shift function buttons low brightness?
The preset is updated (btn 3 and 6 Amber/Yellow, EQ Style on 6 Green/MidGreen/Red/No light). Note the new name (of file and preset)

Also, I sent you a PM
Answered ;)

Offline bbergen

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2015, 01:34:20 AM »
Thank you, thank you and thank you!!!

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2015, 03:02:45 PM »
Thank you, thank you and thank you!!!
:)

I forgot to remind you about Shift use with Knobs. In current configuration, knobs in shifted mode work like fine tuning endless encoders with "dead zone". I have found it useful for my MPK mini, but you can try other settings:

a) open AZCtrl property page (SONAR utilities menu)
b) switch to the "Logic" tab
c) in the "Logical Control" drop box select "((None)) _fSetValue". You should see 2 actions, one with "Shift:Off" and another with "Shift:On".
d) Select the second one (with "Shift:On"). In the "Action configuration" you can adjust "0.2% per tick" to adjust granularity (fines).
e) Select the first one (with "Shift:Off"). In the "Action configuration" you can try to change "Catch" to "Direct" or "Instant". You can also change the response curve from "Linear" to "Convex".

The effect is immediate (no preset save/load required), use any knob to test the result. But "Logic" Tab will switch to this control action list, so you need to reselect "_fSetValue" for future adjustments.
There is a way to avoid switching for particular knob: in the "Options" Tab "Hardware controls" section, find the knob in question, change "Rotary" type to "System" and press "Save" near it. That will work correctly for knobs, but not for pad/buttons

I am personally a big fan of "Instant" "Convex" combination. It works best when the knob is near center position. "Instant" takes away annoying for me "no reaction" till the value is matched. "Convex" gives more precision in the middle (where I normally need it) while reducing precision toward ends. Sure that does not work nice with "linear" parameters like frequency...

At the moment, the settings are common for all Knobs. Just to make them easy adjustable globally. But it is possible (and easy for me, also I can write how you can do this with several clicks) to make different settings for each knob separately.

In case you still prefer "Catch" approach. I can make some Pad change the color (or/and blink) for some time (let say 2 second) in case you use any knob and it is in "Unmatched" region, once "Matched" the pad will revert to normal indication immediately.