Author Topic: Proposals for Az-Dialog [implemented]  (Read 6855 times)

Offline MarKo

• Power user
Proposals for Az-Dialog [implemented]
« on: September 24, 2015, 11:55:35 PM »
Hi Alexey,

You said you are interested in further feedback, so here are some suggestions.
But first i have to say that the possibilities of AzCtrl are really genious and so those suggestions are just meant as enhancements which could make preset-programming a bit easier/nicer.

- copy/paste blocks is fine, but i´d expect it at the current pos, not afterwards (that´s common).
- same with "new": should be inserted at current pos, not after
- deleting the last function in a list, selects and scrolls to first. this is very annoying if the list has more items than visible. So you always have to scroll to end again, after each action.
- supporting shortcuts Ctrl+c,Ctrl+v,Ins,Del would really speed up editing
- and if the UI would be resizeable, this would be great. I know this is hard work, but i think there is an easy solution. If you make it vertically resizable and just resize the Listbox, while keeping all lower controls at their relative position, the resizing-code should be easy.
ok, those are the "Top 5" of my proposals for the UI.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 05:28:21 PM by azslow3 »

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
Re: Proposals for Az-Dialog
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 04:12:35 PM »
Hi Alexey,

You said you are interested in further feedback, so here are some suggestions.
But first i have to say that the possibilities of AzCtrl are really genious and so those suggestions are just meant as enhancements which could make preset-programming a bit easier/nicer.
Thanks, feedback is always motivating! And as you could notice, I get it not so often...

Test version is updated.

- copy/paste blocks is fine, but i´d expect it at the current pos, not afterwards (that´s common).
- same with "new": should be inserted at current pos, not after
Sorry, but let me explain my logic.

I agree that "Add" and "Paste" should put new actions on the same place respective to currently focused one.

But unlike normal text editing, it is a list. I normally prefer to write "programs" from the beginning to the end, not reversed (and so I also was annoyed by "prepended" logic). So, let say you have finished configuration for the last Action and decide you need more. In case "New" will insert the Action before current one, I have to move it.

It is currently possible to Paste/Create on any position. To prepend the list, nothing should be selected (can be done by Ctrl+Click on selected Action or by changing controls, the first method I really like, especially for Play, because the second one was always boring). For any other place, previous Action can be selected. Sure, I could just reverse the logic, append when nothing is selected and prepend when selected. But normally I append more then prepend (I rarely want to change the very first action(s)).

But if you still want reversed approach, I can implement it as an option.

- deleting the last function in a list, selects and scrolls to first. this is very annoying if the list has more items than visible. So you always have to scroll to end again, after each action.
Yes, I just forgot to fix that every time I hit that myself... Fixed now.

- supporting shortcuts Ctrl+c,Ctrl+v,Ins,Del would really speed up editing
Done. Note that shortcuts are working only when either the list has focus or Control selection box has focus (handy for full list duplication).

- and if the UI would be resizeable, this would be great. I know this is hard work, but i think there is an easy solution. If you make it vertically resizable and just resize the Listbox, while keeping all lower controls at their relative position, the resizing-code should be easy.
The window you see is not from me... My part is just inside that window. Unfortunately Sonar does not react on changing its size. It does not update own controls, nor it inform me about the change. So I have made option parameter to set the height. It is not (at the moment) saved into preset and it does not work instantly (the reason is Sonar, I have tried to close/open, but that does not work).

My window is constructed dynamically (it is not build with Dialog Editor, unlike build-in preset dialogs and Sonar native plug-ins). So it was somehow prepared for resizing from the beginning. But as with Display, there is no "resize" processing, it is just created based on requested size.

ok, those are the "Top 5" of my proposals for the UI.
I remember 2 requests, one for strip dependent pasting and another about text incarnation for presets. They are in plans, but not yet in progress...

Offline MarKo

• Power user
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 05:57:02 PM »
Hi Alexey,

Sorry for the late response, but i did not notice the new version because it had the same version number(b283M). Now i redownloaded and see the changes - very nice.
Those improvements are very helpful - i wish i had that at the time i did most of the copy/paste editing stuff.
Window size and auto close/open is working for me! Also very very useful as all my action-lists now fit in the list without scrolling!
It is not (at the moment) saved into preset
that would be good.

And i understand the argument for paste/new position afterwards.
I didn´t work very long now, but as far all seems to be working!
Thanks again for those improvements!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 09:30:47 PM by MarKo »

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 02:38:05 PM »
It is not (at the moment) saved into preset
that would be good.
The height is saved now. The result is in the release (b284)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 05:28:01 PM by azslow3 »