Author Topic: Novation Launch Control (not XL)  (Read 46942 times)

Offline bbergen

Re: Novation Launch Control (not XL)
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2015, 09:19:57 PM »
Thanks for that additional information!
You guys have a Merry Christmas!!!

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2015, 12:17:49 AM »
Today (I have 00:15 here) is mother-in-law birthday... And only then Merry Christmas  8)

Offline bbergen

« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2015, 02:35:37 AM »
I don't know how to word this but I'll try...
Is there a "refresh rate" setting available.
I was working on eq'ing a Kontakt piano library while the track was playing and the response was lagging quite a bit.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 03:42:31 AM by bbergen »

Offline bbergen

« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2015, 03:42:10 AM »
Another question, can the controller software determine if a track is frozen (effects are frozen too) so all buttons and knobs will turn off when that track is highlighted?

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2015, 11:20:35 AM »
This time I have bad news for you, sorry... So, the answers on both questions are "No"  :(

I am limited by Sonar API and plug-in reaction.

For the first question. Theoretically, everything is happening without delay. I mean the controller input is triggering AZCtrl as soon as you move the control and AZCtrl requests parameter change without delay. Unfortunately, plug-ins are sometimes reacting slow on Automation change requests. I am not sure about the exact place that is happening, either Sonar is "rendering in advance" or has some internal  locks or plug-ins themselves use updates not instantly. Note that changing parameters in GUI goes different route (GUI is a part of plug-in).

Freezing is simply not exposed for Control Surfaces. Unlike the first problem, that is more or less strait forward to change on Sonar(!) side. But I have no power to do that.

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2015, 12:52:26 PM »
(I had to leave while writing the last answer)

A bit more positive info  ;)

When I control some parameters, I get big "video lag". I mean if I rapidly change EQ frequency (in EQs GUI or by surface, not only in PC EQ), not even "Now time" is updating during playback. But the frequency is changed as expected and after a while the screen is updated. So please check that you really have significant to you lag in audio and not just in graphics. I have old and slow computers and I was thinking that is logical consequence of that. But may be there is something in Sonar on purpose to prevent audio drops (rapid asynchronous graphic changes can take significant CPU/GPU time).

While freezing is not seen from Control Surface, there is some generic trick for the problem. There is "Control Strips visible in" option in the Sonar Control Surfaces preferences. You can say CS work with Console View only, then decouple visibility between track and console views in the Track Manager and hide unwanted tracks from the console view. After that, CS does not "see" hidden tracks at all (also "Next/Previous track" buttons skip them!) while you still have mouse control in the track view.

Unfortunately, Sonar has several bugs there. For example "Strips/Hide frozen" is not working for MIDI/Instrument tracks. And even in case they fix that, CS is still observe tracks hidden that way. The only way to really hide something is explicitly mark it as hidden.

Note that you can follow track view, hide tracks there to still have full console. Till you use folders that normally works fine.

Offline bbergen

« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2015, 01:15:14 PM »
Ok, thanks!
The lag was substantial on soft synth audio tracks but not recorded audio tracks.
Thought I'd ask.
Thanks again!

Offline bbergen

« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2015, 12:33:16 AM »
I haven't figure out what to disable to prevent this from happening but on one template in particular (my mastering template), when I press the play button on the screen transport, it switches the LC from Factory Templates to User Templates.
Any ideas?

Offline bbergen

« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2015, 12:56:37 AM »
Found it
Preferences > MIDI > uncheck "Zero Controllers When Play Stops" did it.

Offline bbergen

« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2016, 12:14:17 AM »
Happy New Year!!!

How is it possible for me to change button colors?
I want to change buttons 1,2,4,5,7 & 8 to red = on and no color = off.

I have printed labels for all the controls and waiting on some new color-coded knobs, better than the ones that I had already ordered.
Once they're in, I'll post a pic.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 12:19:07 AM by bbergen »

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2016, 11:36:38 AM »
Hally New Year!

I try to explain first, in case you want modify yourself. But I can modify the colors and upload the result. I just have not understood which from these 2 variants you prefer by "is it possible for me" statement  ;)

Button/Pads colors are controlled from Monitors (Feedback section, everything started with "B:", so all feedback lists except "_Track focus"). Since colors represent different information, lists are not completely the same. General idea:
a) set state (variable) "Color" to required value dependent on conditions.
b) send corresponding comment to LC (implemented in _fColor2LED in the Logic, you do not need to modify it since all possible colors are already there)

One helper function (in the Logic list) is "generic On/Off" for Pads "_fPadLED On/Off" (HMF On/Off, LMF On/Off, HF On/Off, LF On/Off). Another is for pads with shift function, "_fPad LED With Shift" (LP On/Off +Gloss) . Other pads/buttons have explicit lists.

And so:
1) for HMF/LMF/HF/LF On/Off change colors in "_fPadLED On/OFF" (in Logic)
2) for LP On/Off + Gloss change colors in "_fPad LED With Shift" (in Logic)
3) for other change colors in the corresponding list (in Feedback).

Offline bbergen

« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2016, 12:04:20 PM »
Thank you for the explanation.
Had a chance to play with it and it's simple enough.
I appreciate it!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 06:45:41 PM by bbergen »

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2016, 07:18:51 PM »
I have updated the preset... and I have just realized that you have updated the last message  ;)

Offline bbergen

« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2016, 07:24:59 PM »
What does the shifted function of the HP button do?
What exactly is track focus in this particular instance?
Is it meant to fly out the eq display while in ProCh view?

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2016, 09:02:14 PM »
What does the shifted function of the HP button do?
What exactly is track focus in this particular instance?
Only one strip is Sonar can have "focus". The one you normally click, the one you see in the Track Inspector.

Shift+HP toggle following it. Let say you click on Guitar track. You can control its EQ then. Now let say you want adjust/edit VOX while still controlling Guitar EQ from LC. You press Shift+HP while the focus is on Guitar. From that point till you again press Shift+HP your LC should control Guitar EQ. Independent from what else you do in Sonar (well... in case you do not insert/move tracks before Guitar...).

Is it meant to fly out the eq display while in ProCh view?
Unfortunately that can not be controlled from surface.