Author Topic: [AZ, Lunatech, MikeyB] A&H QU16/24/32  (Read 39353 times)

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
[AZ, Lunatech, MikeyB] A&H QU16/24/32
« on: May 11, 2015, 06:48:04 PM »
Produced in cooperation with Lunatech.
Qu EQ control is developed in cooperation with MikeyB.

How to use it:
  • Install AZ Controller plug-in first (download the latest released in the News section version and run it).
  • Configure QU MIDI Input/Output in SONAR as described in its documentation.
  • Insert AZ Controller in the "Control Surfaces" section of SONAR preferences and attach ZED MIDI Input/Output to it. It is good idea to detach it from other plug-ins, in case you have already used it with sonar.
  • Open AZ Controller configuration dialog
  • Switch to the "Options" Tab and in the "Tweak current configuration..." drop box select "QU24".
  • Select your model. In case you have changed MIDI port throw which your mixer communicate, leave the default if you did no MIDI settings changed on device
  • Press "Generate preset"
  • In the preset name box (on top of the window) type "QU<your model>" and press "Save" button. Select just saved preset to reload it (that should setup WAI correctly)

What is working:
  • BankDown turns on and of "Shift" mode. BankUp turns on and of "Alt" mode. The mode is indication inside "Control Surface" Module on control bar
  • 12/20/28 first channels control tracks. In "Shift" mode Mute1/Mute2 move Track bank left/right by current number of controlled tracks (20/24)
  • 4 last channels control tracks or buses. Mute3 in "Shift" or "Alt" modes switch the mode. In "Alt" mode Mute1/Mute2 move Bus bank left/right (if "Shift" and "Alt" modes are activated, both tracks and buses are shifter simultaneously)
  • Each channel control: Volume (Fader), Mute (Mute), Solo(Solo), Record Arm (Select in "Shift" mode) of the corresponding strip. Select button in not "Shift" modes focus the strip in Sonar. LEDs indicate corresponding parameter state
  • Transport buttons alone control Sonar transport. In "Shift" mode FF/RW move current time to Loop Out/In, Stop toggles Loop. In "Alt" mode FF/RW move current time to Next/Previous Marker, Stop inserts Marker.

EDIT: Starting from v0.5r8b192 , during preset generation there is an option to control ProChannel EQ from Qu own EQ controls. Note that unlike custom layout, that modifies Qu Mixer parameters. The synchronization is done for all 32 channels. That features is current in testing phase.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 11:03:36 PM by azslow3 »

Offline Hermu

Re: [AZ, Lunatech] A&H QU16/24/32
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 12:29:25 AM »
perhaps this documentation is helpful:
http://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/qu-24/#tab4

in Qu-MIDI-Protocol-V1.5.pdf you can find necessary infos to fader, buttons, etc.
http://www.allen-heath.com/media/Qu-MIDI-Protocol-V1.5.pdf

DAW Control Setup Notes:
http://www.allen-heath.com/media/DAW-Control-Setup-Notes-V1.30.pdf
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 07:13:44 AM by Hermu »

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 08:01:53 AM »
The discussion was on OF...

I have seen the documentation, but I am not sure I understand it. I do not have QU, so I can not test.

DAW Control is Mac only translator. And in the protocol document it is unclear either "DAW Control" messages are translated by this software or device can send them (and when). For example, there is Fader in DAW Control and Fader in NRPN, Mute in DAW Control and "separate" Mute...

Offline Lunatech

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 03:07:59 AM »
Hi Azslow3,

Here is a text file of a translator I have done for the QU 24. This should be helpful in seeing the midi commands used for functions.

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 12:14:56 PM »
The latest test version include the basic preset (see the first post).

In the translation table, I could see "Button off" has MIDI code "Button ON" with value "3". Most probably coming from the fact that is the behavior for the mixer (own channels) Mute control. I have followed the specification, not the mapping you have provided. Sure I can change that if required.

I am not "pinging" the device. It can be required in case you use Ethernet.

Some tips for possible extending the functionality:
* While it looks like there is no other dedicated DAW controls on the device, we can use already existing buttons. Ffor example, "Bank Up can be Shift, doing something like "Arm" when used with Select button on corresponding channel (Shift+BankDown can become BankUp) and so on.
* it is possible to split 24 channels between tracks and buses, in any relation.

Offline Lunatech

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 12:45:01 PM »
Hi Azslow3,

Yes the note off came from the Midi guide from Allen and Heath. The normal (81) would not also turn off the mute/sols/select led's on the mixer. I am assuming that you are taking on of the 10 soft buttons to program the combo shift function which is cool. Again thanks for the tool and your efforts.

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 03:20:37 PM »
Sorry, but I have not understood you. Is the preset working correctly or not? Do you see LED changing On and Off? Are faders moving?

They write explicitly, that 81 will not turn off LED. But that does not clarify either my preset can working  or not (I interpret 91-0 and 81-0 the same way for "Pad" controls and I send 91-0 in this preset on "off").

Either you want the Shift and for what (which controls should produced which actions when shifted), either you need bus controls (and either switching the whole 24 faders to buses, some subset of them or you prefer some subset is always mapped to buses), either you want ACT mode and with which controls you prefer the switch, etc. is all up to you to write me explicitly.

Offline Lunatech

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 08:05:17 PM »
Hi Azslow3,

Quick update. Loaded the preset. Do not have Device to DAW (faders) control. Do have DAW to Device Control. Mute/Solo/Select all work.. Led's for each come on and do not turn off. This is what I was mentioning about in the Midi guide earlier . I had the same behavior until those changes. . I will have more later when I get back in.. Thanks.

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 11:11:27 PM »
I have updated the preset. Please try again.

Offline Lunatech

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 11:36:52 PM »
All button function and LED's are good to go (Mute/Select/Solo. Still only DAW to Device for faders... At this point.. But grateful for the progress and the effort. Thanks

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2015, 11:53:26 PM »
Stupid me... I forgot to unset NRPN mode. Please redownload again.

EDIT: just to speedup problem hunting for the future. The first thing to check when some control is not working is to look at "Last MIDI Event" when engaging it. You should see some MIDI code and (!) the control name after. In case you do not see the control name, I have mapped something wrong. In that case just inform me like "Fader 1 report CC:0, but I do not see the control name". If you see the control name, but reaction is not as expected, look at "Overview" tab while using the control. You should see the list of (successful) Actions and somehow (in text or picture) let me know what you see. With that simple procedure, you can save time testing not working versions and my brain has less work to go throw all possible reasons for the problem  ;)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 12:18:12 AM by azslow3 »

Offline Lunatech

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2015, 03:31:21 AM »
Hi Azslow3,

It maybe be just late. Same result. On the faders under Last Midi Event , I see the code but not control name after it. This is true of all of the faders. Thanks.

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2015, 09:30:43 AM »
Yes, it was late yesterday. I have made a mistake during upload of fixed version. Sorry.
Please download one more (I hope the last) time.

Offline Lunatech

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2015, 02:36:10 PM »
Hello,

Downloaded this morning before I left for the office. This worked. Thanks so much . Will put some time into it this weekend. Very interested in the banking options and bus control. One challenge I see may be panning. One button for all channels. Not sure how to work around that since the encoder only sends the same message. Anyway...Thanks again and I will be following up.

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2015, 03:37:37 PM »
Nice.

Excuse me for asking one more time, but I want to be sure before implementing any fancy buttons operation. What exactly you see in the "Last MIDI Event" when you depress let say "Mute 1" button ?

While it can look like my definition is working, it most probably "double triggering" actions by now. And that is very important in case I try to implement some "Shift" staff.

For the encoder, which one you mean? I do not see any additional encoder for DAW Control. If you mean QU "Pan" encoder, that is on "other level" of complexity. I will have to prepare AZ Controller engine to work with that first (to process "not RPNs safe" CC are used on channel 2 and NTPNs on channel 1 at the same time, my plug-in is not yet able to handle such case). But there is other problem with that:

If I understand that right, in case you start turning this encoder you are changing Pan on some real QU channel. While I can try to use that information to control some Pan in Sonar, I do not think I can prevent QU from changing QU internal pan. Also from monitoring, I will change that pan even if you do not touch the control. While we can just try to use some unused by you mix bus, I hope it is possible to find in the documentation (or by asking A&H) how to do this correctly.