Author Topic: [AZ, Watercourse, BobF] PreSonus Faderport  (Read 83136 times)

Offline BobF

Re: [AZ, Watercourse] PreSonus Faderport
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2016, 08:01:27 PM »
I got the az plug downloaded and installed, FaderPort working fine so far.  Is there a list of buttons & functions with default assignments?  Can I figure this out looking in the plug?  Any generic plugin info?

I have the FP running in Reaper with customized buttons and it is capital H Handy.  I would like to get the same setup in Sonar (Platx64).

Any "go look here" I'm pointed to will be greatly appreciated.
The first post in this thread list all assignments. But you can (re)define everything.

To understand how that works in general, check my "ACT MIDI explained" post. For the list of available functionality check the Manual. For inspiration you can have a look at BCR2000 thread.

I can answer on questions like "how to do ...?" by providing simple examples.

I can also make the complete modifications for you in case you provide the list of wishes, but that will take a while. I already have HUI preset and OSC in the queue.

Thanks ... I prefer self-sufficiency whenever possible.  Maybe a couple of examples to get me started.  The FaderPort with the original dll would move fwd/back one measure when unshifted FF/RWD were pressed.

What would I change where to make them work this way?

With that info I will try to figure out other changes.

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2016, 10:34:17 PM »
Thanks ... I prefer self-sufficiency whenever possible.  Maybe a couple of examples to get me started.  The FaderPort with the original dll would move fwd/back one measure when unshifted FF/RWD were pressed.

What would I change where to make them work this way?

With that info I will try to figure out other changes.
Lets try by words (I can prepare an example, but it will be either out of context or hard to spot the difference). For RWD:
* in the "Logic" tab, select "<<" Control (it is the first one, so it should be selected by default)
* here several combinations are defined, using "Shift", "Stop" and "Loop" conditions (they are switched in the corresponding buttons, by default they are "-" (off))
* You are interested in "Loop:-", "Shift:-", "Stop:-" reaction.
* At the moment, it is defined as "Shift:-", "stop:-", "Loop:-" - "Rewind on". Select this action (it is the second in the list)
* In the lower part, you need to change:
 1) "Function" -> "Command". Available parameters will be changed, and there you change
 2) "<Menu>" -> "Go to start of this measure or start of prior measure". The list of commands is long and commands are not sorted, but  you should be able to find it. This command is not so far from the beginning.

For FWD the change is the same, except you should select "... next measure" command.

PS. If you are using the latest Sonar 2016 update 3, please download the latest test version of AZ Controller. Current release is working fine with up to 2016 (Sonar version prior 22.x).

Offline BobF

« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2016, 10:38:24 PM »
Thanks.  I can work with that   :)

Offline BobF

« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2016, 03:46:52 PM »
Hmmmmm .... that was almost painless   ;)

Thanks for the quick start

Offline BobF

« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2016, 08:35:59 PM »
A couple of things:

1.  When I exit Sonar, the FP doesn't clear or reset.  Whatever buttons are lit stay lit.  In other words, no cleanup on exit.

2.  How the heck do I keep the bus window from opening in TV when I press [Output]?  That's very annoying.

One more thing - this is really great for the FP in Sonar!  Thanks for your efforts

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2016, 10:01:31 PM »
A couple of things:

1.  When I exit Sonar, the FP doesn't clear or reset.  Whatever buttons are lit stay lit.  In other words, no cleanup on exit.
I do not have "on exit" processing. Also I do not know either "clear" command exist for FP, but that can be implemented as "turn off all lights".
The real problem is that I already have some crashes during Sonar exist. I have no idea either they are AZCtrl related, but I had some crashes during startup/project loading till I have completely "silenced" AZCtrl till the project is indicated as loaded. So, while technically possible, I would prefer to avoid "on exit" actions to avoid possible stability problems.

As a work around, it is possible to reserve some key combination to turn of lights. That will need: "TurningOff" state with "No" as the default, set to "Yes" during that special key action, setting "TurningOff:No" condition for all Monitors which transfer lights, the list of MIDI sends to set off all lights (24 MIDI messages, in fact can be done with 2-3 "SysEx/MIDI" actions in MIDI mode). If you think that can be useful, I can make an example.

2.  How the heck do I keep the bus window from opening in TV when I press [Output]?  That's very annoying.
There are 2 methods to switch Bus<->Track. One is using Sonar "Command" (the same as for keyboard shortcut). It has "a bug", but it switch in all sonar versions and situations as expected. But it always open bus part in TV when switching to bus.

There is also special ACT call to change the focus. It does not open buses part in TV. But it was not always working, depending either console is open and may be some other conditions... I have just tested, and it works (may be I just forgot what was the bug, may be they have fixed that in some 2015-2016 version...). So, you can try to replace the actions in "Output" to the (complete list, the first 2 actions are unchanged):
* - State Monitor
* - Next Strip (loop)
* 'Strip:Bus' - Function, Focus Strip type, Buses
* 'Strip:Track' - Function, Focus Strip type, Tracks

One more thing - this is really great for the FP in Sonar!  Thanks for your efforts
Thanks  ;)

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2016, 06:40:07 PM »
In Cakewalk forum, there was reports that FaderPort someone does not work right at the beginning with AZ Controller, till some other method to start it is used (like with other DAW).

I guess that FaderPort can be in different mode, which according to documentation can be switched on device itself. But since I see original plug-in send "something" at the beginning,  I decide to add this "something" to my preset as well. May be someone with that problem can test attached preset and five definitive answer either my initialization guess was correct.

Note v0.5r3b342 or later is required to load this preset (at the moment it is the latest test version, can be found in Downloads section).

EDIT: attachment removed, see later posts
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 12:26:22 PM by azslow3 »

Offline BobF

« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2016, 03:20:08 PM »
A -

Thanks for doing this.  My FaderPort preset is attached.  To verify I have exported the correct preset, check that [User] executes the Input Echo command

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2016, 03:39:27 PM »
Here is modified version (not different file/preset name).
I have checked it has "Echo" command

EDIT: attachment removed, see later posts
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 12:24:59 PM by azslow3 »

Offline BobF

« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2016, 03:46:09 PM »
Thanks A.  I'll get it loaded up and we'll see how it goes.

Your generosity and willingness to help is commendable.

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2016, 12:37:30 PM »
Here is yet another test:

1. try to use it after complete power off. I think power off for FaderPort should be sufficient, I do not think computer shutdown is requited. But check that is really the case before testing this preset: so make FaderPort NOT working in Sonar, then switch to this preset
2. Even if it makes FaderPort recognized under all conditions, please still check (3)
3. In the "Overview" tab you should see "Initialization". What you on right of it? ("Pending" or "Done")
4. If FaderPort is recognized and you can see "Done", you can stop here and just let me know it works.
5. If you see "Pending" but FaderPort is working, I do not think FadePort was not working before... please power cycle and try again.
6. If FaderPort is not working...
6.1. Do you see "Pending" or "Done" ?
6.2 Switch to the "Logic tab", you should see "((None)) Init Test". Select the very first action (with "2000" at the end), press "Play" (in this dialog, not Sonar). Is FederPort recognized now?
6.3 If still no luck, select the 4th action (with "... 31 20 f7"), press "Play". If you see any changes in the "Last MIDI event", please notice what you see (exactly). Repeat the procedure with the last action.
6.4 Finally, repeat the procedure with the third action ("6 1 f7"). Do you see something in the "Last MIDI event?", does the action list has switched from "Init test"?

Thank you in advance for testing.

EDIT: test attachment removed
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 04:59:33 PM by azslow3 »

Offline BobF

« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2016, 01:49:55 PM »
This latest preset won't import.  Plug-in manager goes thru the motions, but it doesn't end up in the list.

Yes ... I renamed it prior to attempting import :)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 01:52:26 PM by BobF »

Offline BobF

« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2016, 02:43:43 PM »
I think I have it sorted out, but the FP remains unresponsive and there is nothing in "Overview" about Initialization

See the attached image

I initially had a name collision with the new version that renaming the file didn't seem to resolve.  I selected a different preset in AZ_Control and deleted the original via PIM.  I then imported this new version.

I had powered down the whole machine, restarted and opened SONAR.  Lit [Write] and no response.  I changed presets to this new version.  The attached shows the results ... still unresponsive.

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2016, 02:59:02 PM »
Sorry, you in fact was unable to test even the first version. As I have mentioned, you need 0.5r3b342 or later to use that preset (the latest TEST version of AZ Controller). When preset can not be loaded, AZ Controller keeps absolute silence and does nothing... I just think that in case you get "AZ Controller could not load preset for future version" during Sonar startup is more confusing than silence, but may be I am wrong.

Offline BobF

« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2016, 03:49:20 PM »
OK, says "Done" but still non responsive.  See inline results below

Here is yet another test:

1. try to use it after complete power off. I think power off for FaderPort should be sufficient, I do not think computer shutdown is requited. But check that is really the case before testing this preset: so make FaderPort NOT working in Sonar, then switch to this preset
2. Even if it makes FaderPort recognized under all conditions, please still check (3)
3. In the "Overview" tab you should see "Initialization". What you on right of it? ("Pending" or "Done")
4. If FaderPort is recognized and you can see "Done", you can stop here and just let me know it works.
5. If you see "Pending" but FaderPort is working, I do not think FadePort was not working before... please power cycle and try again.
6. If FaderPort is not working...
6.1. Do you see "Pending" or "Done" ?

FP not working, but says DONE

6.2 Switch to the "Logic tab", you should see "((None)) Init Test". Select the very first action (with "2000" at the end), press "Play" (in this dialog, not Sonar). Is FederPort recognized now?

The display is (UNRT 7f 6 2 0 1) Init ... I manually select ((None)) Init Test
No changes when I [Play] first action

6.3 If still no luck, select the 4th action (with "... 31 20 f7"), press "Play". If you see any changes in the "Last MIDI event", please notice what you see (exactly). Repeat the procedure with the last action.

Still no response, no change in Last MIDI event

6.4 Finally, repeat the procedure with the third action ("6 1 f7"). Do you see something in the "Last MIDI event?", does the action list has switched from "Init test"?

No change in Last MIDI event
Display changes to (UNRT 7f 6 2 0 1 ) Init