Author Topic: Informing Cakewalk as to how many strips are being controlled  (Read 1736 times)

Offline jdeacon

Hi all,

I've been migrating from a weird old, now unsupported, control surface (from Open Labs). I decided to use an Akai APC Mini.

It's going well. I've got MIDI OX turning some of the rows of clip buttons into C-1, C0, etc. key switch notes. And I've modified my AZ Controller preset to migrate transport controls to some of the other APC buttons.

I've been working on the faders on the APC Mini and I have them controlling eight track volumes. I have yet more buttons on the APC Mini moving the tracks under control one left or right and eight left or right.  All good so far.

But I can't find where the preset tells Cakewalk's WAI how many tracks are being controlled. Although eight tracks are being successfully controlled and moved around, Cakewalk is still showing just one colored WAI strip (the original control surface only had one fader).

Thanks for a great and indispensible utility.

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
Re: Informing Cakewalk as to how many strips are being controlled
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 11:46:01 PM »
That is controlled by "WAI" action. If WAI was used at all in preset you modify, that action should be somewhere in the preset. And it is better to find it, different "WAI" can start to "fight" otherwise, producing confusing results.

"WAI" action serve 2 purpose, it can define where WAI starts and the number of strips in WAI. Note that that number is just visual effect, in AZ Controller you use just the first WAI strip as reference for other operations (f.e. 7th WAI strip volume).

Check all options of this action, f.e. "initial" will set the number of strips in WAI when preset is loaded (so without any extra operations). So set "tracks" to 8 and "initial", save and reload preset, you will see 8 tracks in WAI.

Offline jdeacon

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 12:55:57 PM »
Thanks. I checked as best I could if that was already being done in the preset, and I couldn't find it anywhere*.  Perhaps because there was only one fader, I never noticed I hadn't set the number of strips.

I wasn't sure where to put the WAI action. I added it in the first fader's Logic entry's actions. And it seems to work fine.

* (Did I read somewhere that there is a way to do a text dump of an AZC preset?)

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 02:48:40 PM »
You can export as text in the options tab (that format is just for that, the result can not be imported).

I recommend to put "WAI" in a separate control, which is never called. The action will be executed every time you move the fader otherwise.
In any case, with "width only" and "initial" options set the result should be correct.

Offline jdeacon

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 05:02:27 PM »
I recommend to put "WAI" in a separate control, which is never called ...

Will do. Thanks again.