Author Topic: Using AZ Controller for Cakewalk control of external audio mixer  (Read 21587 times)

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
Re: Using AZ Controller for Cakewalk control of external audio mixer
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2020, 10:01:08 PM »
You will need quite some (well, really huge number of...) parameters. Each of kind:
Strip <number>
FX  <name> <parameter number>
Monitor value (in which you do the same as for volume and other parameters).
Yes, one control for each parameter for each plug-in in question for each track on your mixer...

Offline norfolkmastering

« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2020, 12:35:58 PM »
Hello Alexey

Thanks for the advice
I got SSL Compressor to map to MIDI Feedback values using the actions in my attached 'Image-15'
I have one problem to solve ...

The controls which are rotary switches e.g. 'Ratio' (which can be switched between 2, 4 and 10) are giving out inconstant feedback values.
Is there a way to correct this problem?

Regards
Robert

You will need quite some (well, really huge number of...) parameters. Each of kind:
Strip <number>
FX  <name> <parameter number>
Monitor value (in which you do the same as for volume and other parameters).
Yes, one control for each parameter for each plug-in in question for each track on your mixer...

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2020, 09:19:54 PM »
Some plug-ins report inconsistent values, especially for switches. Values are always "normalized" by Cakewalk to 0..1 range. Translation to MIDI done by AZ Controller and it tried to be accurate (so reported MIDI value when used as input produce value in 0...1 range which when converted back to MIDI produce the same value, sound like obvious but most software I have observed does not have this property). So, I do not think something can be done on AZ Controller or Cakewalk side.

Offline norfolkmastering

« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2020, 10:42:59 AM »
Hello Alexey
Thank you for the explanation.
I have contacted the Waves support team and asked them to have a look at the values being reported for the rotary switches for this plug-in.
Best regards
Robert

Offline norfolkmastering

« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2020, 07:40:38 PM »
Hello Alexey

I got a response from Mark McLeod regarding the Bypass FX function.  Here is what he said:-

'I think it's already there.

Setting MIX_PARAM_FX to a value less than 0.5f should bypass the fx bin... 

Although within ControlSurface.idl, it claims to be a read-only parameter, there's definitely a handler for setting it within Cakewalk.'

Does this provide a means to hook into the Bypass FX function with AZ Controller?

Regards

Robert

Hello Robert,

1. Some 'all track' functions are controllable and have feedback, "Strip" action has "Rude ..." parameters for this. Exact strip selected does not matter in this case.

2. For Bypass Rack you will need to make future request to Cakewalk, that information is currently not available. Write on the forum, in case Mark (msmcleod) notice your post and reply, there is a chance such parameter is added...

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2020, 12:35:17 AM »
IDL mention fx# as parameter for MIX_PARAM_FX, so I was interpreting it more like "bypass particular fx" (also not supported by AZ Controller, I had no need for it). But may be it support some "-1" parameter, I will check.

Offline norfolkmastering

« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2020, 10:07:38 AM »
Thank you Alexey.

Offline norfolkmastering

« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2020, 10:01:54 AM »
Hello Alexey

I wanted to check if you were able to make any progress on the FX Bypass function?  It would be great if you can offer this function within AZ Controller.

Best regards

Robert

IDL mention fx# as parameter for MIX_PARAM_FX, so I was interpreting it more like "bypass particular fx" (also not supported by AZ Controller, I had no need for it). But may be it support some "-1" parameter, I will check.

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2020, 11:32:39 AM »
Hi Robert,

I have thought you are monitoring Cakewalk thread... mentioned parameter can bypass particular FXes, but not FX rack. So bypassing rack is not possible to implement on AZ Controller level.

If you want bypass particular FXes, that I can implement.

Cheers,
Alexey.

Offline norfolkmastering

« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2020, 11:58:33 AM »
Hi Alexey

Yes I followed the Cakewalk thread but I did not understand most of the technical details.

So yes, it would be great if you could implement Cakewalk bypass of particular FXs.  This would solve one of the issues I have (some of the VST plug-ins are not correctly reporting their Host Bypass so I cannot use that to monitor bypass status).

I will test the Cakewalk bypass of particular FXs when I hear from you it is implemented.

Best regards

Robert

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2020, 04:00:05 PM »
Hi,

Try just uploaded test version (b405), it has "Enabled" parameter (before 1 - xxx) in FX Action. I have checked it for "Set" and "Monitor value" in X2, seems like work.

Cheers,
Alexey.

Offline norfolkmastering

« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2020, 05:02:14 PM »
Hello Alexey

I downloaded test version b405 and the FX enable is working fine.  Thank you very much.

Question -> what would you need from Bandlab/Cakewalk to make the global FX enable possible in AZ Controller?

Best regards

Robert

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2020, 09:01:03 PM »
Hello Robert,

First of all, you will need to mention required feature correctly  :)
"Global FX bypass" (so for all strips) exist as a command and available as such in AZ Controller (without feedback).
"FX bin enable" (for one strip) exists as a button in Cakewalk, but does not exist in Control Surface API (at least I have not found the way to use it, note it was not available at least till 2015)
"FX enable" is possible and now work in AZ Controller.

Note that I can kind of imitate the effect, by enabling/disabling all FXes in specified bin. But that is NOT the functionality of Cakewalk button, it works independent from particular FXes enable status. So, when you disable FX bin and re-enable it, enable status of particular FXes is preserved in Cakewalk (but will not in imitation).

Cheers,
Alexey.

Offline norfolkmastering

« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2020, 02:28:59 PM »
Hello Alexey

I understand your explanations, thank you.

So I have added another message to the Cakewalk forum thread asking Mark to add the API hook for "FX bin enable".

I'll pursue that request.

Regards

Robert

Offline norfolkmastering

« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2020, 02:17:30 PM »
Hello Alexey

I've just read Mark's latest reply about the -1 error issue.  It looks like you will be able to implement the FX bin bypass once the next CbB release is available.  Hopefully good news!
Regards
Robert