Author Topic: Using AZ Controller for Cakewalk control of external audio mixer  (Read 148 times)

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
Re: Using AZ Controller for Cakewalk control of external audio mixer
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2020, 05:17:01 PM »
Try Send number 0... Its "programmers" world  ;)

Offline norfolkmastering

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2020, 05:47:56 PM »
Hello Alexey

I tried send number 0 but still not working.

I have attached three screen shots showing the three actions programmed for Rotor 2.  Could you have a look please.

(and just to assure you that Rotor 1 - which I programmed before to control the Track 1 fader is working, so the MIDI between my nektar keyboard and AZ/Cakewalk is working okay)

Regards

Robert

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2020, 09:59:17 PM »
Hello Robert,

Do NOT use Cakewalk AUXes for your purpose,  use Buses (name them AUXes if your want).

Cakewalk has "hacked" AUXes into original engine as the way to record soft synthes and FXes live. When someone really "play" soft instrument live, the sound can be significant different from re-play of recorded MIDI. That is the only reason to use them.

From the beginning, this "hack" was quite buggy. On of the bugs you have just hit yourself: sends to them can not be controlled by surfaces  :)

Offline norfolkmastering

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2020, 11:04:19 AM »
Hello Alexey

Thanks for the advice.  I was able control bus sends from tracks, so that is a big step forward.

Can I check one more point with you for now please:-

Could you explain how to achieve a latching function for buttons please.  One example:-

I can programme a button on my nektar keyboard to operate a track SOLO function, but when I release the button then the SOLO is also released.  So it provides a non-latching action which is not what is required.

Can you please tell me how to achieve a latching action for the button?  So I PRESS and RELEASE the button, and the SOLO function changes state.  I mean:-

If the SOLO was "OFF" then it switches to "ON".

If the SOLO was "ON" then it switches to "OFF".

I have many requirements for this type of latching button, so your advice would be appreciated.

And I have to say that the AZ Controller is amazing!  Yes it will take me some time to learn but the very deep level of control and feedback is incredible.

Very best wishes

Robert

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2020, 08:02:33 PM »
Hello Robert,

What you call "button latching" is reaction on button press only. Some surfaces just send "button", but more "smart" devices send "button is pressed" and "button is released".
If the code does not take that into account, it does not distinguish between "pressed" and "released" and so toggle f.e. Solo when pressed and when released.

Press and release send different value (you can see that in the "Last MIDI event"). Normally press is value 127 and release is value 0.

AZ Controller tries to help you with processing that. In case you look precisely, there is "Note:On" condition on every action by default. So no action is executed when "Note:Off" (Note Off MIDI event or Note On with Value 0 MIDI event). But in case a button send not Note MIDI event but something else, what to do is not obvious. F.e. when you turn a knob which sends CC you want Value 0 is processed as any other value.

The solution in AZ Controller is explicitly declare a hardware control as a "Button". In the Options tab select button control as set its type from "Unknown" to "Button", do not forget to press "Save" near that combo box. In this case CC with value 0 will be interpreted as "Note:Off" and so there will be no reaction on release (till you change Note conditions for particular actions, useful f.e. to implement modifier keys like Shift).

Offline norfolkmastering

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2020, 11:32:53 AM »
Hello Alexey

Thanks for the advice.  Changing the button type to "pad" (which I think was your reference to "button") provided the require action.

For information, I am experimenting with a Microchip PIC demo board to map out the structure of how the MIDI commands sent as feedback actions from AZ Controller will control the hardware control elements of the analogue mixer.  These are mostly VCAs (level) and FETs (switching).

I am building a small two channel analogue audio mixer to check out the basic hardware control elements.  After that, I will look to design the full size mixer.  Current plan is:-

24 channels (tracks)
8 + 2 + 1 stereo group buses (8 groups, 2 "auxes", 1 master).

The mixer will receive its audio for mixdown from a 24 track analogue tape machine also under remote control and sync from Cakewalk.

I will study the use of OSC for the communications between AZ and my hardware controller.  It looks like a good solution.

I will be in touch again once I have decided on the protocols.

Again, thank you for your good advice to date.

Regards

Robert

Offline norfolkmastering

« Reply #21 on: Yesterday at 10:34:29 AM »
Hello Alexey

As I will be controlling a digitally controlled analogue mixer from Cakewalk via AZ controller, using Feedback actions, the monitor refresh frequency is important for me.

When I set the Cakewalk controller refresh frequency to 50ms and the Parameter Value Monitor to Ultra (let us use the example of track volume monitoring) then I get a maximum of 20 track fader values per second (corresponding to the 50ms refresh setting).  This is as expected.

Here is my question please:-

It is possible to set the Cakewalk controller refresh frequency below 50ms by editing the Calkwalk.ini file.  I tried setting to 25ms in Cakewalk.ini and the value appears to be accepted; i.e. 25ms is displayed in the preferences/MIDI/controller surfaces display.

However it does not increase the frequency of monitor messages output on to my MIDI stream.

Can you tell me if this is due to a configuration setting in AZ Controller? So I mean is the 'ultra' setting limited to 50ms?  Or do you think that Cakewalk is ignoring any setting below 50ms?

For my unusual application, I want to try to increase the controller refresh frequency if it is possible.

Regards

Robert

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: Yesterday at 10:36:33 PM »
From what I know, that comes from Cakewalk.

Note that values can not update faster then the buffer length... Which settings you use in Cakewalk for the audio device?

Also I think that 50-100ms is faster then you may need for any purpose. Everything you want to be "smooth" (motor fader movements,  volume automations, etc.) should be implemented inside your device by inter/extrapolation.

Note that some digital mixers I know (RME, Behringer) do not do this. If you ramp up volume you can easily notice that happens in "steps". And real reaction of the device on parameter changes seems like much slower then 100ms. For some purpose not nice, but that is by design. You can try to make it better, but that is a challenge. It is easy to have "usec" frequencies inside a chip, but it is not easy to keep that on a wire (Shannon and other slow us down...). F.e. you will need to communicate through USBv2 (or later) and forget about WiFi in case you need something with stable reaction under 50ms.

Offline norfolkmastering

Hello Alexey

I was running Cakewalk on a buffer length of 23.2msec.
So I tried reducing the buffer length to 5.8msec and setting the controller refresh frequency to 25msec in Cakewalk.ini
Again the Cakewalk preferences display seems to accept the 25msec value but it makes no difference to the actual refresh rate.
I will check with Cakewalk (Bandlab) if this is a restriction they place on the system.

The control voltage (linear voltage derived from DAC converter) applied to analogue gain control elements (VCAs) will have a time constant of around 7ms to help smooth the step transitions but it would be valuable to get as much control resolution from Cakewalk as possible.  Part of that resolution comes from the refresh frequency.

I understand your point about using inter/extrapolation to smooth control inputs.  It should be possible to do this within my microcomputer but of course it introduces some delay as I have to buffer MIDI values in order to make the calculations.  If it was feedback to motor faders then that would not be an issue, but in my application it delays the control signal to the audio mixer which is not desirable.

Once I have built the small demo analogue mixer, I will experiment to see what is practical.

Again, thank you for your advice on this project.

Best wishes

Robert