Author Topic: Using AZ Controller for Cakewalk control of external audio mixer  (Read 21117 times)

Offline norfolkmastering

Re: Using AZ Controller for Cakewalk control of external audio mixer
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2020, 11:32:08 AM »
Hello Alexey

I am currently mapping out the MIDI control protocol which I will use to allow Cakewalk (via AZ Controller) to control my analogue mixer.

I need to be able to monitor the audio source which is selected to each track in Cakewalk.  I will use this data to control a source select matrix in my analogue mixer.

As a test, I set up a rotary control from my nektar MIDI keyboard/controller to select the audio source for Track 1 in Cakewalk.

Under the Logic tab, I have created three actions for this rotary control:-

- Track Input
Action Configuration 'Strip'
Track
Select Input

- Direct Linear, timeout touch
Action Configuration 'Value'
Direct Linear

- Parameter Value Monitor
Action Configuration 'Monitor'
Monitor parameter value

I can select the track input by moving the rotary control.

Next, I set up an Action for this control under the Feedback tab:-

- Ch7 CC:7 Use Value

But when I monitor this Feedback output using MIDI-OX, I get a constant CC value of 00 irrespective of the track source which has been selected.

Could you tell me if I have made an error in this configuration please?

Kind regards

Robert

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2020, 02:33:37 PM »
Hello Rebert,

I do not think someone has ever tried to use it... So that was in fact inconsistent. Please download b404, MIDI action should be fixed there.

Note that the value sent is (current input)/(max number of inputs)*127. "0" means "No input". So the last possible input is "127", no input is "0" and other inputs are in-between.
Since the number of available inputs in concrete setup can vary, that is rather meaningless value...

I would recommend to use:
1) separate from Cakewalk Input parameter (as I have written before for all parameters which do not have equivalent in Cakewalk)
or (if for some reason you want Cakewalk Input)
2) (a) define Friendly Names for inputs in Cakewalk preferences and enable use of them
    (b) define Software Set with "Unknown" + all possible input names
    (c) in the monitor, first use Text Value action to get the name of input, then use State By Text to find correct state in the set (preset with Unknown, just in case...) and then use State conditions to send predictable MIDI messages for particular inputs.

Cheers,
Alexey.

Offline norfolkmastering

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2020, 10:44:45 AM »
Hello Alexey

I downloaded B404 and the MIDI action is now working, thank you.

I agree that this is not a good method to achieve an output monitor of the track source selection, for the reason you stated.

Yes I do need to monitor the selected Cakewalk track inputs because I will use these selections to control the external analogue record matrix.  (This is partly for convenience of having source selection control from Cakewalk and also because I will record on to my analogue tape machine and to Cakewalk simultaneously).

So I tried to set up the parameters you suggested in point 2) of your reply but I cannot get it to work.  Here is what I did:-

1. I defined friendly names for my inputs in Cakewalk and enabled their use.

2. Under the 'Options' tab, I set up a new Software State called 'FriendlyNames' and added 'Unknown' plus all the friendly names (as they appear in the track source selection) - see Image-1

3. Under the Logic Tab, I added two additional actions to my remote control of Track 1 source selection:-

a. Text Value action - see Image 2

b. Set state by Value action with FriendlyNames set to <By text> - see Image 3

4. Under the Feedback tab I added different MIDI output values for some of the FriendlyNames - see Image 4

When I change the track 1 source select, I get no MIDI values outputted, so I must have made a mistake in the set up.

Could you tell me how to correct please.

Regards

Robert

Hello Rebert,

I do not think someone has ever tried to use it... So that was in fact inconsistent. Please download b404, MIDI action should be fixed there.

Note that the value sent is (current input)/(max number of inputs)*127. "0" means "No input". So the last possible input is "127", no input is "0" and other inputs are in-between.
Since the number of available inputs in concrete setup can vary, that is rather meaningless value...

I would recommend to use:
1) separate from Cakewalk Input parameter (as I have written before for all parameters which do not have equivalent in Cakewalk)
or (if for some reason you want Cakewalk Input)
2) (a) define Friendly Names for inputs in Cakewalk preferences and enable use of them
    (b) define Software Set with "Unknown" + all possible input names
    (c) in the monitor, first use Text Value action to get the name of input, then use State By Text to find correct state in the set (preset with Unknown, just in case...) and then use State conditions to send predictable MIDI messages for particular inputs.

Cheers,
Alexey.

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2020, 12:22:35 PM »
Sorry, there are some mistakes:
1) set "Monitor Parameter Value", not "Monitor Parameter Name" for the monitor: you want the name of value, not the name of parameter (which is always "Input"...)
2) remove "Set state" (last action) from Logic, everything happens in the Monitor (Feedback tab)
3) prior your actions in Feedback, add:
    (a) Text Value
    (b) Set state (as you did in logic)

Offline norfolkmastering

« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2020, 02:45:36 PM »
Hello Alexey

I have tried to update to your instructions but still no MIDI outputs, so there still must be mistakes.

Please see Image-5, Image-6 and Image-7 attached.

Thanks for your help to get this sorted.

Regards

Robert

Sorry, there are some mistakes:
1) set "Monitor Parameter Value", not "Monitor Parameter Name" for the monitor: you want the name of value, not the name of parameter (which is always "Input"...)
2) remove "Set state" (last action) from Logic, everything happens in the Monitor (Feedback tab)
3) prior your actions in Feedback, add:
    (a) Text Value
    (b) Set state (as you did in logic)

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2020, 09:50:21 AM »
6+7 looks ok, but they are for "Knob 1" feedback... in 5 you have other control, without monitor (btw with Text action at the end, make no sense).

Offline norfolkmastering

« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2020, 06:53:21 PM »
Hello Alexey

I found my mistake.  Because I had configured the logic tab - Parameter Value Monitor incorrectly, that control did not show at all under the Feedback tab and so I accidentally programmed the wrong Feedback control!

So now I corrected the mistake and it is working.

See images 8, 9, 10 and 11 for working configuration.

Can I ask a question please ...

Is there any way to get the source selection 'None' (i.e. no source) included? so I can output a unique code for this.  I tried including it in the Software Set.  Although I can select 'None' using an external rotary, I cannot get the feedback MIDI to work.  Any ideas?

Best regards

Robert

6+7 looks ok, but they are for "Knob 1" feedback... in 5 you have other control, without monitor (btw with Text action at the end, make no sense).

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2020, 10:50:00 AM »
Check which "Name" Cakewalk gives to None, in German version it is "--- Keine ---" (spaces and hyphens including).
To do this, use f.e. build-in AZ Controller display to output text (from monitor).

Offline norfolkmastering

« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2020, 01:22:55 PM »
Hello Alexey

Yes the English version had the same format "--- None ---"
So I entered this as the state name and it is recognised correctly.
Thanks for your help with this.

Regards
Robert

Check which "Name" Cakewalk gives to None, in German version it is "--- Keine ---" (spaces and hyphens including).
To do this, use f.e. build-in AZ Controller display to output text (from monitor).

Offline norfolkmastering

« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2020, 06:03:15 PM »
Hello Alexey

I have been able to map most of the required functions from Cakewalk for my remote controlled mixer project, using AZ Controller.
First to say what a flexible controller app you have created, thank you!

I have two functions which I need your help with.

1. There are a number of 'all track' functions which I can programme for remote control but I cannot figure out how to programme their feedback actions?

Example is the Cakewalk button called 'Solo (UnSolo) all tracks'
I have been able to assign this Cakewalk button to an external control but I cannot figure out how to derive a feedback from it?
See my attached screenshot (Image-12)
Could you help me with the correct Monitor action please.

2. I need to find a way to monitor the state of the track 'FX (Bypass Rack)' pushbutton.  I will use this to switch my analogue mixer insert points.  I remember you mentioned there are issues with remote controlling the FX chain but my need is much simpler.  I only need to monitor the state each track FX button.  Can you help with this?  It is a core element in my analogue mixer so I need to find a way!

Best regards

Robert

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2020, 09:52:36 PM »
Hello Robert,

1. Some 'all track' functions are controllable and have feedback, "Strip" action has "Rude ..." parameters for this. Exact strip selected does not matter in this case.

2. For Bypass Rack you will need to make future request to Cakewalk, that information is currently not available. Write on the forum, in case Mark (msmcleod) notice your post and reply, there is a chance such parameter is added...

Offline norfolkmastering

« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2020, 12:19:45 PM »
Hello Alexey

Thank you for your continued support.

1. I was able to get feedback working for 'all track' Solo, Mute and Arm.  I also want to get feedback for 'Exclusive Solo' and 'Dim Solo'.  These have no 'rude' feedback.  I tried using action Monitor Command feedback (see Image-13) but this does not work.  Is it possible to get feedback for these two functions?

2. Thank you for your advice regarding 'Bypass Rack'.  I will post in the new Cakewalk forum today.

May I ask two questions about presets please ...

I will be using two instances of AZ Controller in my project.  One instance to communicate between Cakewalk and my Analogue Tape Machine, and a second instance to communicate between Cakewalk and my Analogue Mixer.  Each instance will have its own MIDI port.

3. My intention is for each instance of AZ Controller to have its own preset but I cannot get both presets to work at the same time.  To further explain:-
For AZ Controller-1, I have created a preset called 'TC1'
For AZ Controller-2, I have created a preset called 'TC2'
My problem is that I can only get one of the preset to function at any time.  Could you tell me how to get them both working at the same time please?

4. Could you tell me if AZ presets are loaded automatically when Cakewalk is started?  Or do I have to load presets manually, each time I start Cakewalk?

Best regards

Robert

Hello Robert,

1. Some 'all track' functions are controllable and have feedback, "Strip" action has "Rude ..." parameters for this. Exact strip selected does not matter in this case.

2. For Bypass Rack you will need to make future request to Cakewalk, that information is currently not available. Write on the forum, in case Mark (msmcleod) notice your post and reply, there is a chance such parameter is added...

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2020, 04:41:08 PM »
Hello Robert,

1. What is not there is not provided by Cakewalk, so the same advise as was for (2).

3. http://www.azslow.com/index.php/topic,384.0.html

4. In general yes. But current latest version of CbB has a bug, there is a workaround but it does not work well when you creating presets. So use previous version or wait for the next release, the bug will be fixed there.

Alexey.

Offline norfolkmastering

« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2020, 05:10:01 PM »
Hello Alexey

1. and 2.  Understood.

3. Working now.

4.  No problem, I will wait for the next release.

Best regards

Robert

Offline norfolkmastering

« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2020, 05:28:37 PM »
Hello Alexey

I am beginning to look at mapping some VST plug-ins so they can be used to control the same function in my MIDI controlled analogue mixer.
As a first test I want to map the controls in the Waves SSL Compressor plug-in.  I have attached a screen shot of that plug-in.
My objective is to generate a Feedback MIDI output for each control in this plug-in.
As it is possible to have the same plug-in used in multiple tracks, I need the Feedback output to be strip related, if this is possible.

Could you tell me if this kind of feedback mapping is possible using AZ Controller and if it is possible, some guidance as to how to do the feedback mapping.

Best regards

Robert