Author Topic: Future for AZ and Sonar CbB  (Read 4647 times)

Offline Peltz

Future for AZ and Sonar CbB
« on: August 01, 2019, 01:49:08 PM »
Frist of all. Thank you Azslow for all your work with the AZ controller and in this forum. It’s so much appreciated for me as a Sonar/CbB user.

I would just like to hear from you what your future plans with regard to CbB and development with the Az controller and and MCU presset. Thanks :)

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
Re: Future for AZ and Sonar CbB
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 04:36:18 PM »
Sorry to say, but I have no plans to seriously advance AZ Controller for CbB nor advance complicated presets for it.
I doubt CbB will ever be my DAW again, in fact I am still using it periodically just because there is no AZ Controller (yet) for the new DAW...

But I am still going to support what is there, fix reported bugs and may be extend something when requested.

When and if AZ Controller 2 is written for REAPER, and what are the chance it will have CbB incarnation is unclear at the moment.

Offline Peltz

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 09:45:23 PM »
Sorry to hear.

I doubt CbB will ever be my DAW again, in fact I am still using it periodically just because there is no AZ Controller (yet) for the new DAW...

Can I ask why you dropped Sonar/CbB and mobed to Reaper, and what you mean by "because there is no AZ Controller (yet) for the new DAW..."

On a side note, I hope there will be done work by Bandlab to make controllers more compatible with CbB in the future upgrades.

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 08:08:09 AM »
I have written that in http://www.azslow.com/index.php/topic,400.0.html

Cakewalk/CbB has dropped one of primary advantages I saw in Sonar: offline authorization. CbB, while free, is even worse in that respect. It EXPIRE at its own will (not even showing when exactly).
They have not really "compensated" with anything serious, MIDI routing still does not exists, MIDI processing is still archaic. Audio engine was not advanced in 20 years.

REAPER, while supporting more surfaces then CbB, has no AZ Controller (like) thing (there is one project on-going, but I see several problems with approach they have chosen). So when I want to use controller, I start Sonar or CbB.

Offline Cheese

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2019, 08:48:45 AM »

Cakewalk/CbB has dropped one of primary advantages I saw in Sonar: offline authorization. CbB, while free, is even worse in that respect. It EXPIRE at its own will (not even showing when exactly).

this is why i do not support bandlab version also .. the download manager is also needed to join the forum ...

im not on that either

best wishes to you AZ :)

Offline Jashk@

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 12:50:50 PM »
Hm.. after I've picked up non-professional music production projects again (after many years), CbB seemed a good choice at first: 'SONAR Platinum for free'. However, after considering BandLab's 'free' licensing model and reading azslow3's post explaining his reasons for seizing further development on AZ Controller for SONAR / CbB, I seriously consider moving to Reaper aswell -especially as I currently don't have too many existing projects that require converting.

One should question what BandLab's reason was for releasing a free version of a full-featured DAW. Building a Facebook-alike community of musicians/producers? Sooner or later only allow free use of CbB if you actually share your projects in their community? Only continue free use in exchange for royalties for any published work?

With this in mind I'll definitely give Reaper a try.