Author Topic: Direct Access to Parameter through touchosc  (Read 4914 times)

Offline C1974

Direct Access to Parameter through touchosc
« on: May 16, 2019, 09:36:18 PM »
Hi there ,
just downloaded az Control Today  and was Playing around with the osctemplate..it Looks very good ..but the task i am Lockung for is much more simple ..:-D

I dont know if its possible to Access a synthparameter directly via osc..
For example i have a cutoffknob in Touchosc and want to get the value of „cutoff“ and edit the Parameter ..not via the Actlearn Function..so i dont have to think about Banks etc..just like a
Hardpatched Midi-controller just bi-directional.
Hope someone understood and might give me advice.

Kind regards

Carsten

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
Re: Direct Access to Parameter through touchosc
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 10:39:27 PM »
In any case you need to explain Sonar/AZ Controller what you want to control. And the simplest way to do this is ACT.

You can also construct project specific preset, so your "cutoff" knob controls let say Track 5, FX 4, parameter 18. And so for each parameter you want to control... That is why Cakewalk has invented ACT, to avoid that  :D

ACT Dynamic map is just a "MIDI learn" in the DAW environment.

Interesting to think about the problem from the following perspective: you see a parameter and want control it with a knob. Sounds like that should be "easy", just "learn" it. But what exactly you want this knob control? Is that Track5/FX4/Par18? May be it is just FX4/Par18 of the current Track? May be it is FX4/Par18 in the 3d track of currently selected block? "EQ"/Par18, for particular EQ at any position? "EQ"/"Cutoff" for any EQ on current track? The list is endless...

Offline C1974

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 10:51:53 PM »
Hi and Thanks for the quick reply ..Thats right there are a lot of possibilties..i was thinking that it might be possible selected trackwise, as there is just one Instrument per Track possible ..will have a Look tomorrow regarding the preset Solution ..is it possible to Share presets between 2 pcs? So that the assignment i did, will work in Both ?

Thank you again

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 11:03:29 PM »
You can use "Cakewalk Plug-in Manager" in the Utilities menu to import/export SPP presets, that is preferable method (do not forget to name and save the preset in AZ Controller GUI first).

Just to avoid misunderstanding, all mentioned combinations (including endless part) IS possible to configure using AZ Controller. But you will need to learn a bit how AZ Controller works, there are examples and tutorials. When I am using it, I most of the time create presets on the fly (from some basis one). So that is supported by design.

Offline C1974

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 03:47:34 PM »
edit :
actually i found it out..its quite simple..thats what i thought before :-D

For Control under Logic Setting :
-ACT
-Parameter Value monitor
-Parameter Name monitor
-direct linear... (value)

under Feedback then send

thats mainly what i wanted , now I'm just curious if i can switch the AZ Controller-Presets via OSC

im glad i found out

old message:

Hi Alexey,
I have tried the way via preset-saving and im running into one problem all the time...

i explain what i do ..
lets say i have 40 knobs on my tablet and i named than from Rotary1-40

i add them in the way you describe that in one thread here..via Options-Hardware controls etc

then i attach them and assign them... in the logic tab i add then the actions for these controls...

but if i do that, all controls will control the same synth parameter and all controls will be treaten like there is just one knob..im not sure if it has to do with the /actpar/z
from my understanding it is that act just knows how many knobs i have and then you can assign the parameters of the plugin/synth by learning and assigning..thats what i do with my hardware controllers... but from the act side , act will just see one knob..from what i think atm

maybe could you explain how to assign to knobs , so that act sees them as two different knob and i can assign them to any parameter of the focused synth ?

im really confused know..

« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 06:20:33 PM by C1974 »

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 07:37:36 PM »
You can not switch AZ Controller presets, but you can define endless number of layouts inside single preset... And then switch layouts.
Software state set "Layout": "1", "2", ... "x"
In the action list for particular control, use "Layout:n" condition for actions which select the parameter.
Add a control to switch state inside the set.

Offline C1974

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 09:15:10 PM »
ah i see… will try that tomorrow… thanks a lot for your help !

:-)

Offline C1974

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 12:52:08 PM »
Hi Alexey, just have nother Question regarding the Sorting of the ACT- Slots
for example i have made act mappings for my hardware controllers before and now i do mappings within the azController, the Sorting of the az-slots is influenced by my previous mapping before? now if i go to my other pc , what i did not try out yet, do the mappings which i did before fit to the osc surface , as i use different controllers on that one? or is it , because i used the way to access the parameters via the slots , described in post above, that the sorting within the azcontroller-slot is different , so the controls dont fit... and might a solution be,  if this problems occurs, to import my act mapping from the first pc ? or is it possible to reset the mapping to a initial read-out , so the sorting is like the plugin was never mapped... so i could do a new mapping on one pc and it will fit on the other.
I'm just asking , because i dont know if the mapping in the way i used to do now accesses the parameters by slot or does find them by name also.

sorry for asking again :-)

wish you a nice weekend
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 12:57:26 PM by C1974 »

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2019, 06:05:47 PM »
ACT slots ar special. There are not influenced by Track X + FX Y + Par Z schema.

But you SHOULD use AZ ACT Fix. Inside that utility you can see default/controller specific mappings, reset them. But most important, that utility makes backups for the mapping and detect when it is corrupted. Sonar had a bug which was almost always corrupting the mapping. Along the way that bug was fixed, but there is still another bug which under some conditions corrupt the mapping during ACT learning. Once corrupted, Sonar no longer can read it and eventually evaporate it (so delete the information, but still leave the file corrupted).