Author Topic: [Solved] TouchOSC receiving from Sonar but can't control anything...  (Read 5452 times)

Offline symetrk

Hi there...

So, as mentioned on the Sonar forums, I have had some trouble setting up the TouchOSC controller, despite following instructions from the video pretty closely and then reading at your documentation - as much as I could get my brain to understand, that is, as I'm not deeply versed in IP issues and such.

So at the moment I've got it set up so that it will receive information from Sonar - it stays current with clock, selected track, volume, mute/solo etc - pretty much everything works as far as I can see - but it cannot actually control anything; Sonar seems to just ignore it.

I'm using the latest preset files, and the latest Test version of the AZ plugin, which is working brilliantly with my other controllers - an Alphatrack and a NI Kore unit which I made the preset for myself, so I am not completely new to your plugin. My suspicion is that it might be a firewall issue, but as far as I can see in my firewall settings everything has full incoming and outgoing access - both Sonar and the TouchOSC editor program. Is there another program I need to give access?

A few more details: first, I entered the IP address of my tablet under Fixed client in the configuration menu - if I didn't do that, then it says "Active, 0 clients" and there is no response in either direction, meaning neither computer nor tablet react to each other at all. If I enter the IP in that field, it says "Active, 1 client" and works as described above, i.e. tablet reacts to computer but not the other way around.

Second, I have checked the OSC Incoming and Outgoing ports and they match the settings under your plugin controller panel. I have also tried changing the Outgoing port - and the corresponding Client port setting in the plugin - and this changes nothing. The Server/Incoming port I have left at 9000, as it seems to work - it's the other direction that is not happening.

Hopefully that gives you enough detail to form an idea of what might be wrong, and I appreciate any help you can offer... let me know if I'm missing something obvious or if there's something else I need to do on the firewall side of things.

Thanks in advance! -t

« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 04:46:55 PM by symetrk »

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
Re: TouchOSC receiving from Sonar but can't control anything...
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 03:22:06 PM »
I will check that the latest version still can work with OSC when I back home, there was some internal change and I am not sure I have tested it...
But in my development environment it works.

But from your description, it seems like you have wrong settings in the "Host"/"Port outgoing" (TouchOSC).
"Fixed IP" is not required for TouchOSC since it should contact AZ Controller itself (initially, with "ping" or on any control press), "Fixed IP" is for the case AZ Controller tries to be "the client" for some hardware (f.e. OSC capable digital mixers). You setup correct IP and Clients Port inside AZ Controller, that is why you see updates, independent from TouchOSC settings correctness. 

Let say in AZ Controller:
Server port: 8000
Clients port: 9000

Then in TouchOSC:
Host: IP address of your PC with Sonar (there can be several! you need right one, with which your tablet can communicate. AZ Controller not always show it, check network settings on PC).
In general, it is better to fix it on your router so your do not have to change TouchOSC settings later.

Port (Outgoing): 8000   (that is the Server (AZ Controller) incoming port, "send to" port. "Outgoing" term is normally used to specify "send from" port when desired, so TouchOSC is a bit confusing. The best labeling could be "Peer incoming" vs "TouchOSC incoming" labeling, in fact real outgoing port on TouchOSC side is random)
Port (Incoming): 9000  (so the Client (from AZ Controller perspective) incoming port, in this case the labeling is correct)

I hope that helps.

Offline symetrk

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 04:33:35 PM »
Hi again and thanks for your time!

I double-checked everything and, well, I'm not sure how since I was pretty sure I had everything set up correctly before, but it now seems to work perfectly. Maybe it was the Virtual MIDI thing that was conflicting, or (of course) it's always possible that I *thought* I had it set up correctly, but...

Anyway, so it goes, I now have a working wireless controller which is what I need to do the next thing I need to do... Onwards and upwards!

Thanks as always for your brilliant work and support for a product you don't charge for... when the PayPal funds bounce back I will send a little something for your flowers fund...

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 04:41:25 PM »
Thanks, you are welcome ;)

As I wrote, the setting which can be "correct" and "incorrect" without changing is the IP address of PC. If not done yet, make it fixed. That is better for any kind of networking and can avoid rather strange behavior (with printers, media servers, online games, etc.). AZ Controller speaks with TouchOSC "directly", MIDI in/out are not used.

Offline symetrk

Re: [Solved] TouchOSC receiving from Sonar but can't control anything...
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 04:48:18 PM »
I will do that, I just have to figure out how first ;)

Offline symetrk

Re: [Solved] TouchOSC receiving from Sonar but can't control anything...
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 11:23:43 PM »
I posted a complicated question here a minute ago but never mind, I figured it out... heh...
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 11:27:13 PM by symetrk »