Author Topic: Impulse 49 CC feedback issue or Sonar/ACT issue ?  (Read 7045 times)

Offline kashmate

Impulse 49 CC feedback issue or Sonar/ACT issue ?
« on: July 30, 2017, 06:12:52 PM »
Hello,

Using Novation Impulse 49 keyboard.

While using Automap, I can tweak parameters valuesin Sonar GUI and I see the parameters values change in Impulse LCD.
So switching between same VST instances - the values are "picked" right from the value displayed in Sonar GUI - as expected.

In Sonar/ACT - it's not:
When switching same VST instance (for example multiple EQ plugin instance)  the values are matched/jumped according to ACT configuration.
But this is just a "workaround" and not the "expected" behavior, as it appears that Impulse is capable of reading the values from Sonar GUI (Automap client to be correct)

So each time I switch focus, I need to turn the encoders until value is matched.

Is this something that can be some how resolved ? Achieving the same behavior of automap ?

Edit: I just tried to record midi automation and checked if it updates the assigned encoder in Impulse LCD - not happening. Value is not reflected in impulse LCD screen.

Any input will be much appreciated,

Thanks in advance!

« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 07:06:24 PM by kashmate »

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
Re: Impulse 49 CC feedback issue or Sonar/ACT issue ?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 09:33:28 PM »
Hello,

Impulse is supposed to be used with Automap for DAW interaction, pure MIDI mode was thought to control Hardware. And so the documentation is not so detailed/clear how to use MIDI mode to adopt controls for not Automap based DAW/plug-in control. If you know the link to (un)official Impulse MIDI (internal!) protocol specification (f.e. exists for Launchkey), I can read it and give you more details.

There are 2 used general way to control parameters with encoders without jumping/catching. Which are available for Impulse is not clear from the user guide (may be both, but probably at least one):
1) configure encoders to send changes instead of "absolute" value, so they send "+n" when turned right and "-n" when turned left (where n is 1 or more, when you turn fast). That it is not required to send current value back. Sure, Impulse display can not show correct current value, but you can modify parameters without jumping. In "ACT MIDI" plug-in, Ctrl+Click on corresponding control to open advanced configuration dialog where you can set that mode. But you need it to set it on Impulse first.

2) encoders get "feedback" from the DAW which tell them current value. "ACT MIDI" does not support that. Automap obviously does. AZ Controller also (since there is no general rule how to do this right, "Startup preset" does not include such "feedback" out of the box. In practice, for Novation, I guess one "Action" per encoder should be added in each corresponding Feedback list, "MIDI <Use Ctrl> <Value>")

Offline kashmate

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 10:13:55 PM »
Thanks for your fast reply, will try to dig some more info about it.

P.S - Regarding the feedback (option 2), is this the way that the recent X-Touch mini preset that you posted, got implemented?
e.g the way the led rings display current plugin in focus (along with update values) ?

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 08:52:07 AM »
P.S - Regarding the feedback (option 2), is this the way that the recent X-Touch mini preset that you posted, got implemented?
e.g the way the led rings display current plugin in focus (along with update values) ?
A kind of. Technically it is send differently, using special Mackie convention. That is why I wrote there is no general rules how to do this for all devices.

You can try preset from Hermu: http://www.azslow.com/index.php/topic,248.0.html
It has much less functionality, but it use option 1, so that should be possible.