Author Topic: How to use 2 independent sets of Mackie MCU/XT/C4 in Sonar  (Read 21798 times)

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
How to use 2 independent sets of Mackie MCU/XT/C4 in Sonar
« on: June 21, 2016, 10:13:20 PM »
Created in cooperation with toneblaze.

Installation instructions
  • Check either you use 64bit version of Sonar or 32bit version. It can happened that you use 32bit version even on 64bit Windows. From Sonar menu "Help" open "About Sonar...". In the lower part you should see the string with version. If it ends with "x64", you are using 64bit version.
  • Close Sonar
  • Download the plug-in. It is on github and it is open source brach from Cakewalk orginal plug-in
    [li]In the Windows Explorer find the directory where all control surface plug-ins are. By default they are in "C:\Cakewalk\Shared Plugins". If you can not find it, search your disks for "MackieControl.dll" file. It is in the required directory (if you have 32bit AND 64bit installed, you will find both locations).
  • Copy downloaded MackieControl2.dll into this directory
  • You need to register this plug-in manually. For that:
    • Start command line interface as Administrator. You can either find in as "Cmd"/"Cmd32" in the Start menu, right click and "Start as administrator"; or press Win+R, type "cmd" and press Ctrl+Shift+Enter. Note that if you register as a normal user, while you probably will get no error, it will not work
    • Change to the director with plug-in, by default cd "C:\Cakewalk\Shared Plugins"  quotas are important since the name includes space!
    • type regsvr32 MackieControl2.dll you should get confirmation dialog that registration was successful. If you get an error, you do not have Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 runtime installed (recent versions of Sonar should install it, but older versions not). You can download it from the Microsoft site: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145. After installation, repeat the registration attempt
  • In the same directory there is MackieControl.ini file with plug-ins mapping. If you want make Mackie Control work nicely with ProChannel EQ and Compressors, backup old file and replace it with http://github.com/AZSlow3/Cakewalk-Control-Surface-SDK/raw/SecondMackieControl/Surfaces/MackieControl/MackieControl.ini. That is going to work correctly with moded plug-ins only
  • Open Sonar, and configure your second MCU (XT,C4) using "Mackie Control 2"/"Mackie Control XT 2"/"Mackie Control C4 2"
  • Your devices should be completely independent now, you can assign different functions, WAI regions, select different FXes and other modes

If you like how your second MCU is working with ProChannel EQ and Compressor, you can replace original plug-ins with moded. Sonar should be closed, but no registration required after files replacement (but do not forget to make a backup before overwriting these files!).

If you have any problems or comments, you know how to find me  ;)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 10:57:28 PM by azslow3 »

Offline toneblaze

Re: Re: 2 mackie mcu with 2 different fader banks for 16 chanels
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 11:45:05 PM »
Wow thanks trying now.

Offline toneblaze

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 12:49:56 AM »
Tried and no luck

Offline MarKo

• Power user
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 12:58:53 AM »
Tried and no luck
really useful encouraging input.

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 01:37:06 AM »
Tried and no luck
From the first screenshot, you are using 32bit Sonar version. Is that correct?
If yes, you had to download 32 bit version of plug-in.

In the second screenshot, if you try to choose the plug-in to use (combo-box with "ACT MIDI"), do you see "Mackie Control 2" near "Mackie Control"?
If not, you have not registered it (or not under Administrator account).

@MarKo: people can have different experience with computers, also the reply was more informative then no reply at all.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 01:39:28 AM by azslow3 »

Offline toneblaze

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 03:57:11 AM »
yes 32bit program on 64bit system windows7 2nd screen shot says i downloaded the rite one.
i am running the program as admin in properties dialog. No I dont see  "Mackie Control 2" near "Mackie Control"
btw what do you mean by register it?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 04:06:01 AM by toneblaze »

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 10:09:26 AM »
Please excuse me, I had a typo in the installation instruction (5.3). Correct command is: regsvr32 MackieControl32.dll
Please follow instructions 5 again.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 10:51:06 AM by azslow3 »

Offline toneblaze

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 04:24:14 PM »
to change directory what am i doing wrong (see picture)

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 04:33:13 PM »
The second line is close to what you need... But you have types "C;\..." instead of "C:\..."

If you have/can install TeamViewer we can solve all problems on-line within several minutes.

Offline toneblaze

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 11:47:35 PM »
ok working great had to update my computer and the  Correct command was regsvr32 MackieControl2.dl you where rite the first time.  in fact it works so good they can do two different time displays. i thank you again, you should give me your paypal email i would feel guilty if i didnt donate, even tho im a hobbyist.
now i need to learn how to do the sends and the equalizers.   

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 11:02:01 AM »
With commands I had to be more accurate. The first time I put "runsvr32" instead of "reg...", the second I forgot "dll" at the end. Sorry and thank you for the patience.

It is good to know the result is working, I have no way to test 2 MCUs in parallel.

For EQ/Sends in general, please check the help file. Press "F1" key (on computer keyboard) when configuration window is open. Cakewalk explain everything there. If you have copied my MackieControl.ini, ProChannel EQ should work out of the box. To change parameters order and behavior for other plug-ins, that find can be edited (with notepad or other text editor). There is a combination on MCU (I do not remember it right now) which reload that file without Sonar restart, that makes the process not so painful.

I will all send you a PM in a minute.

Offline Silar

Re: How to use 2 independent sets of Mackie MCU/XT/C4 in Sonar
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2018, 10:52:37 PM »
I have been using your plugin in the new Cakewalk by Bandlab.  Just set it up today and using with an Icon Qcon pro.  I also have an Icon Qcon EX (Extender) to add an additional 8 faders and buttons.  It's working great with the Qcon Pro, but I can't get the Expander unit to work.  I've downloaded and registered the MackieControl2.dll file, and that seems to be fine in Cakewalk, but it keeps just showing still connecting and doesn't allow the Expander to work at all.  Any chance you could add the 'Disable handshake' feature to the MackieControl2?

Offline Silar

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2018, 12:29:07 AM »
I actually just figured it out.  Wow.. This is pretty awesome.  I have a few buttons not working exactly right on the main QCon Pro (loop, marker, etc), but otherwise..  awesome.  Thank you for such an awesome dll!

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2018, 02:54:00 AM »
So you are using 2 sets of controllers, right?
Please note there was several fixes since that second instance was added. I have to port these changes in case you are going to use it (I guess you are the only one...).

Offline Silar

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2018, 06:57:40 PM »
I'm using an ICON Qcon Pro and an ICON Qcon EX (Extender).  I apparently wasn't setting it up correctly.  I Assigned your MackieControl.dll to both, but they both were controlling the same tracks.  What I was missing was clicking the 'configure layout' button and assigning each their own set of tracks using the pan knob on each.  Everything works for me just using your original .dll file.  You are awesome!!!

The only things I don't have working are the Loop and Marker buttons.  Still trying to figure out if I can remap those..

This is what I have: 

Thank you very much Azslow!