Author Topic: WebTransport: remote transport control for Sonar using web browser  (Read 3216 times)

Offline azslow3

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1121
The topic has shown no interest from community (surprise? not really...), but I just post here from CW Forum.

 For those who likes fancy toys for free and those who really need remote transport control without cables and apps, from any device which has network connection and a web browser or several such devices, also simultaneously:
 
AZ Web plug-in for Sonar.
A tiny Web server for your DAW.

You can check either it is going to work on your device without installing anything, visit: http://www.azslow.com/files/azweb/transport.html
You should get more or less the same picture as on photo. Do not be shocked on 32'' desktop monitor, it was thought for small devices

If everything looks and works as expected (press the buttons), you can control Sonar transport from that device:
  • close Sonar
  • download and run the installer from: http://www.azslow.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=41
  • start Sonar
  • in the Sonar Preferences, Control Surface section, add "AZ Web". Set "Input" and "Output" to None.
  • open its control panel (Sonar Utilities menu, "AZ Web")
  • check "Enabled" and then "Apply changes". Your firewall will probably start to warn you about new "server". That is ok! It IS Web server (very small one... it does not serve files from your computer and I believe it is rather hard to hack... still, do not enable it in public networks, someone can control your Sonar then )
  • if everything is ok, you should see "Active" as status and one (or several) possible web addresses. These addresses can be wrong, especially if you have customized network infrastructure. But in this case you probably know correct IP of your computer.
  • check with some browser on local PC, visit "http://localhost:4242/" first, than proposed address
  • check with browser on other computer/phone/tables/game console in your network

To avoid misunderstanding. This program does not require Internet connection to run, just IPv4 network. The web page has a link to my site, but otherwise no analytics/spy/etc. scripts. This program does not try to access anything in the Internet, but it tries to find correct (local) URL for your computer (when you open its Property Page, otherwise there should be zero network activity from it except replies to the browser).

Offline orchardhouse

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 5
Re: WebTransport: remote transport control for Sonar using web browser
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 07:26:43 AM »
I'm very interested. I sometimes record in large spaces where it is impractical to run multiple long cables, so I use two recording rigs; one at each end. Remote transport control would be great, but only if I can get positive feedback confirming current operational status.

Offline azslow3

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1121
Re: WebTransport: remote transport control for Sonar using web browser
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 11:46:59 AM »
Have you tried it? If demo page is shown correctly on your device/browser, the plug-in should work as well (it has feedback).

Offline orchardhouse

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 5
Re: WebTransport: remote transport control for Sonar using web browser
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 04:24:32 PM »
I'll get to it this week, I hope. Feedback forthcoming  :)

Offline orchardhouse

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 5
Re: WebTransport: remote transport control for Sonar using web browser
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 06:35:05 PM »
It works like a charm on localhost, including proper status when working within the SONAR instance. I assume you're using a persistent socket. If so, do you have retry capabilities? I'd want a reliable connection in a location that uses WiFi or come other pervasive but disconnectable network technology.

Offline azslow3

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1121
Re: WebTransport: remote transport control for Sonar using web browser
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 06:52:21 PM »
If I remember correctly, you are right. I use persistent socket. I guess how well it works with unstable network is the browser dependent.

For Adnroid and iPad/iPhone, OSC apps can serve better. You can have much more control over Sonar, they have faster response then web buttons and can better behave on disconnects (the last should be tested, that is just a guess...). I have heard that Lemur is really good. I have tried TouchOSC (you can find the result in the Presets section), let say it was working fine in 95% of the cases I have used it (in the rest 5%, I had to "sleep/wake" the phone to cure somehow "delayed" feedback from Sonar. May be my old phone has some wifi bugs, may be TouchDAW. I am not sure).

For Windows I know nothing nice for OSC. So I slowly develop my own Windows OSC surface emulator.