Author Topic: Novation Launch Control (not XL)  (Read 46941 times)

Offline bbergen

Novation Launch Control (not XL)
« on: December 14, 2015, 03:45:19 PM »
Getting my Novation Launch Control this week, what do you suggest I read up on since you do not have a preset already for it like the one that I use for my FaderPort?
I'm getting it to control only my Pro Channel eq in Sonar Platinum.

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
Re: Novation Launch Control (not XL)
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 05:36:32 PM »
I suggest I prepare the first preset for you, it will take less time for me then explicitly explaining which part of the documentation you should understand and that approach let you concentrate on more music related tasks  ;)

To start using the result, you will need to understand at least principal of Novation Launch Control (NLC) MIDI assignment (Novation Lauch Control Editor) and how to assign controls in AZCtrl  preset (Quick start tutorial). In practice, any factory preset will work on NLC side and you do not have to edit something. And "Quck start" tutorial will take 5 minutes at most to complete. For assignment within preset I give you, you need to understand just a small part of it: touch control, select corresponding control in preset and press "Assign MIDI". Plan 10-15 minutes to assign all controls. I also can connect to you with TeamViewer to help with that task in case you have some problem (will take ~5 minutes).

But... before all that we should agree with layout. NLC has 16 knobs (not endless), 8 pads and 4 buttons. 2 template switching buttons can not be used for DAW controlling. Pads have Red/Greed LEDs, buttons Red LEDs.

PC EQ has:
* 4 full bands with Freq/Gain/Q, On/Off switches, LH and HF with Shelf switch
* HPF, LPF with Freq/Slope and On/Off switches
* EQ type
* Gloss
* EQ On/Off
In total we need 16 knobs and 11 buttons. And NLC has sufficient controls for that. But controls are places in 2 rows and 4 separate buttons, so it is up to you to decide which knob/button does which function. You can decide that during assignment, but I need to know which (3) switches you want assign to buttons to program LEDs correctly.

LED. We basically have On/Off. Off is LED off. Which color you want for On?

NLC has normal Knobs. That means when you change track they will be not "in position". There are several approaches to deal with that:
1) parameter jumps to knob position when you start changing it.
2) knob should be moved to current parameter value before it does any changes.
3) knob change current parameter smoothly from whatever position, but when value and position mismatch initial resolution is lower (till/if they are matched)
4) endless encoder imitation with dead zone (value is not changed when you turn the knob left in the right part and turn knob right in the left part)

MIDI knobs have resolution 128, depending on purpose that can be too coarse, especially for the Frequency. The only variant with hi resolution support is (4), but practical combinations are (2,3,4 coarse)+(4 fine) with "Shift" button (we still have 1 button free for that!). So without shift pressed you set coarse value, with shift you fine tune it.

While you can change the settings later (5-10 seconds per knob), what you prefer to have initially?

Once you give me the answers on these 2 questions, I will prepare the preset.

Offline bbergen

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 08:29:12 PM »
I have color-coded knobs on order which should arrive at approximately the same time as the NLC.
I'll post a pic so it'll make sense once I have color-coded the NLC to match the PC EQ.
Thanks so much for your help!

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 12:13:36 AM »
I have started preparing the preset (since it is not big, I am also close to the finish... just need colors and control mode), and I propose to use Shift for buttons. That will free quite some buttons/pads you can use for other purpose later.

Proposed combinations:
* EQ On/Off,  Shift: EQ Style
* HP On/Off, Shift: Track focus. When track focus is enabled (default), you control EQ on the strip (track/bus) which you focus in sonar. When it is disabled, you "lock" the EQ you currently control.
* LF/HF On/Off, Shift: Shelf
* LP On/Off, Shift: Gloss

Shift will function as shift when you use it (press other button(s) while it is pressed) or CapsLock when pressed/released alone.

LED under pads with Shift combinations will show correct current status based on Shift. We can also use colors for coding, for example EQ On/Off LED: Off/Green when means On/Off and  Dark/light red +  Dark/light cyan when indicates the style.

What you think?

Offline bbergen

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 01:59:37 AM »
Sounds great, you are wonderful!
 ;D

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 09:08:37 PM »
The choice of colors is limited (only 2 LEDs per pad), I have assigned what I think is reasonable. Also I have constructed preset in "object oriented" style, so changing Knobs reaction can be done in one place for all knobs (the same for LEDs, except special cases with Shift, EQ Style and Track focus).

WARNING: in case you already use AZCtrl and you are going to insert yet another instance of it into Sonar, you can hit nasty Control Surfaces presets bug in sonar. NEVER open property pages of 2 instances simultaneously. NEVER save preset without typing correct name for the preset. You will always see the same preset name in all instances, but they will use whatever presets you set. So, everything works fine but looks funny. Make a backup of all your good AZCtrl presets periodically in case you change them (from Utilities/Cakewalk Plug-in Manager/Control Surfaces/AZ Controller/"Export..."). You will overwrite presets at some unlucky moment when you forget about the bug...

You need 0.4r2 AZCtrl, still in Test downloads section (it could be released long time ago).

Using approach described in "Quick start", assign MIDI to all controls with names "B:" for buttons/pads and "K:" for Knobs. Do not assign anything to other "controls" (with underscored names).

Keep in mind that I have constructed the preset without a possibility to test it, especially LED reaction. So there are some bugs for sure, just let me know and I fix them.

EDIT: preset updated 20.12.15
EDIT: preset updated 21.12.15
EDIT: preset updated 22.12.15
EDIT: preset updated 08.01.16
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 07:17:26 PM by azslow3 »

Offline bbergen

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2015, 08:43:36 PM »
Received the Launch Control today and re-knobbed it.
How's this for knob and button assignments?

Top Row Knob 1 - HP Slope
Top Row Knob 2 - Low Freq
Top Row Knob 3 - Low Gain
Top Row Knob 4 - Lo Mid Freq
Top Row Knob 5 - Hi Mid Freq
Top Row Knob 6 - High Gain
Top Row Knob 7 - High Freq
Top Row Knob 8 - LP Slope

Bottom Row Knob 1 - HP Freq
Bottom Row Knob 2 - Low Q
Bottom Row Knob 3 - Lo Mid Gain
Bottom Row Knob 4 - Lo Mid Q
Bottom Row Knob 5 - Hi Mid Q
Bottom Row Knob 6 - Hi Mid Gain
Bottom Row Knob 7 - Hi Q
Bottom Row Knob 8 - LP Freq

Button 1 - HP On/Off - Green On/Red Off
Button 2 - Low On/Off - Green On/Red Off
Button 3 - Low Shelf Enable- Green On/Red Off
Button 4 - Lo Mid On/Off - Green On/Red Off
Button 5 - Hi Mid On/Off - Green On/Red Off
Button 6 - High Shelf Enable - Green On/Red Off
Button 7 - High On/Off - Green On/Red Off
Button 8 - LP On/Off - Green On/Red Off

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2015, 09:03:08 PM »
I can change the color in the preset, but I can not do the assignment. Have you tried that alignment already?

Offline bbergen

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2015, 10:01:15 PM »
Not yet, was waiting until I received the controller.
Will try it today.

Offline bbergen

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2015, 10:20:17 PM »
Ok, I give, what do I do with the .spp file that you attached earlier?

Offline bbergen

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2015, 11:04:13 PM »
Ok, I'm not seeing anything under Last MIDI Event.
I guess that means it's not going to work with AZController...

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2015, 11:32:12 PM »
Ok, I'm not seeing anything under Last MIDI Event.
I guess that means it's not going to work with AZController...
ANY MIDI controller can work with AZ Controller  ;)

1) check that SONAR see it.
1.a) check that corresponding MIDI IN is enabled in Preferences/MIDI
1.b) check that you can record it into MIDI track (it will probably produce some CC, but still you should see something in PRV after recording)
2) check that some AZCtrl instance (as I understand you have several instances!) has LC as the input. You can access AZCtrl property page from Utilities Sonar menu, here you should see all defined.

SPP file you "Import" using Cakewalk Plug-in manager from Utilities menu, select "Control surfaces", "AZ Controller", "Import..." and select SPP file that. It will add "Launch Control" to the list of AZCtrl presets. Note that you need test version, 0.4r2.

We can organize short TeamViewer session tomorrow to setup everything withing 15-20 minutes.

Offline bbergen

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2015, 02:43:25 AM »
It wasn't until I inserted a midi track on a blank project assigned the LC as input did any midi events get recognized.
Now AZController is recognizing midi events.

All the knobs and buttons are transmitting on Ch. 15 as follows
Knobs - 1st Row
1 - CC21
2 - CC22
3 - CC23
4 - CC24
5 - CC25
6 - CC26
7 - CC27
8 - CC28

Knobs - 2nd row
1 - CC 41
2 - CC 42
3 - CC 43
4 - CC 44
5 - CC 45
6 - CC 46
7 - CC 47
8 - CC 48

Buttons
1 - N:9 Value:0 OFF (value 127 when pressed)
2 - N:10 Value:0 OFF (value 127 when pressed)
3 - N:11 Value:0 OFF (value 127 when pressed)
4 - N:12 Value:0 OFF (value 127 when pressed)
5 - N:25 Value:0 OFF (value 127 when pressed)
6 - N:26 Value:0 OFF (value 127 when pressed)
7 - N:27 Value:0 OFF (value 127 when pressed)
8 - N:28 Value:0 OFF (value 127 when pressed)

I can change all of them to whatever you'd like with the Launch Control Editor...

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2015, 10:30:56 AM »
I have updated the preset, so re-download / re-import it.

Everything should work, I have made all assignments and I have changed colors.

One difference: buttons 3 and 6 are "Shift" and "EQ On/Off" respectively. May be not the best "Shift" placement, but you at least can check how all that works.

Offline bbergen

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2015, 04:32:01 PM »
Everything works as you said it does!
Woot! Woot!
Are you using full brightness for the buttons?
According to page 3 of the LC Programmer's Reference Guide, each led can be set to four values for brightness.
0 Off
1 Low Brightness
2 Medium Brightness
3 Full Brightness
For the on state, can we use the yellow color instead of green for button 3, use Low Brightness for all buttons except 6 and Full Brightness for button 6 to differentiate their functions by sight?
For the off state, can we use the amber color instead of red for button 3, use Low Brightness for all buttons except 6 and Full Brightness for button 6 to differentiate their functions by sight?