Author Topic: [Hermu] NOVATION Impulse 49/61  (Read 46216 times)

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
Re: [Hermu] NOVATION Impulse 61
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2016, 10:56:23 PM »
I have started implementing "midi throw" capability in AZ Controller, so this weekend I will probably make some preset...

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2016, 03:40:55 PM »
Required functionality is implemented, but I have to many questions about Impulse to modify the plug-in based on what I already know.

If you (or someone else with Impulse) have network connection from DAW computer and can install TeamView, we can organize Online session so I can check several combinations (I will remotely modify the preset and you will immediately check either it works and which side effects you observe). I think 20-40 minutes should be sufficient to answer all questions.

We can try to do the same "offline", by me writing questions / test presets there and you reporting the results. But that can take many cycles and a lot of time for me to type questions, explanations what you should try to do, etc...

If you do not like TeamView (I can understand, that is a remote control...), Skype is not optimal but still better then typing  ;)

Offline Boscoe

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2016, 08:14:48 PM »
Aw man, I hope someone can help with that. Unfortunately I'd have to do it by email. :(  Also, I'm about as clueless a noob as you could find right now, so not sure how helpful I would be. I'd be worried that user error on my part may end up confusing your efforts somehow! lol

But if no one else volunteers I'll do what I can. :)

Right now what I'm finding is that I actually have to set the impulse to send everything on channel 3 AND also set the softsynth to channel 3 for the MW to work correctly. I thought I could just set the track to receive omni, but the MW wasn't affecting the synth even though the meters show data going in until I set the synth specifically to channel 3. - EDIT: after some more testing it appears this may be an Onmisphere-specific issue (probably due to the way they've implemented multis), EWQL Play seems to work okay with just setting the track to omni and leaving the Impulse on channel 1...

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2016, 08:55:12 PM »
Right now what I'm finding is that I actually have to set the impulse to send everything on channel 3 AND also set the softsynth to channel 3 for the MW to work correctly. I thought I could just set the track to receive omni, but the MW wasn't affecting the synth even though the meters show data going in until I set the synth specifically to channel 3. - EDIT: after some more testing it appears this may be an Onmisphere-specific issue (probably due to the way they've implemented multis), EWQL Play seems to work okay with just setting the track to omni and leaving the Impulse on channel 1...
Have you tried to set MIDI track to channel 1 (in the track inspector, where you have "C: None")? That converts ALL information which is sent out of the track (so, before it is entering any synth) to this channel. So MW on channel 3 also become MW on channel 1.

That approach is also rather handy for multithembral instruments (f.e. TTS-1, SampleTank, etc) since you can create several tracks with output to one synth, force each track to one specific channel and do not bother about real data channel (so you can record all tracks from one MIDI keyboard without changing its settings).

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2016, 09:10:16 PM »
Also lets try to clarify things by mail. You will need no extra knowledge, just carefully follow instructions and answer on questions.
For all test, Novation should be in the mode set by unmodified latest preset (at the moment, the preset from the first post of this thread, but once we progress I will upload other test presets).
Also please use the latest AZ Controller version (0.5r1 at the moment).

The sequence:
1) open AZ Controller preferences and local "Last MIDI Event section" (near top of the window)
2) move the first fader, notice what you see as the Last MIDI Event (the information before 'value', the value will change when you move it but the rest should stay the same)
3) press "MIDI" button on the left side from faders (under "Mixer" button)
4) move the first fader again, notice what you see now

My questions:
a) "Mixer" and "Midi" buttons have leds. Is either from them lit before step (3) ? Are there any changes in these leds after you have pressed MIDI button during the step (3) ?
b) are there changes in what you have observed during steps (2) and (4) ?

Offline Boscoe

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2016, 02:41:49 AM »
Sorry for the delay!  :-[

"Have you tried to set MIDI track to channel 1 (in the track inspector, where you have "C: None")?"

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but that doesn't seem to work. If I set c: to channel 1 and the Impulse is NOT set to channel 1, then I get nothing. If I then set the impulse to channel 1, we're right back where we started with no modwheel.

"a) "Mixer" and "Midi" buttons have leds. Is either from them lit before step (3) ? Are there any changes in these leds after you have pressed MIDI button during the step (3) ?"

Yes, the mixer button was lit before step 3, which is how it defaults when I open SOnar. The only led change is the midi button lights up when I press it, after that the leds do not change, the midi light stays lit.

b) are there changes in what you have observed during steps (2) and (4) ?

STep 2: midi event is ch:1 cc:0
Step 4: midi event is initially ch:1 cc:33 until I start to move the fader, then it jumps to ch:1 cc:11

EDIT: Something I just noticed: during Step 4 I see the mute button led for fader 3 flickers on and off.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 02:55:06 AM by Boscoe »

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2016, 09:32:02 AM »
Sorry for the delay!  :-[
No problem, nothing in my life depends from Impulse 61 since I do not have it  ;)

"Have you tried to set MIDI track to channel 1 (in the track inspector, where you have "C: None")?"

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but that doesn't seem to work. If I set c: to channel 1 and the Impulse is NOT set to channel 1, then I get nothing. If I then set the impulse to channel 1, we're right back where we started with no modwheel.
There is some misunderstanding... I attach a picture. So in the upper part I set the channel (on this picture "channel 4 for Sampletank") and in lower part I set input to Omni.
My MPK mini was set to channel 16, as also indicated by Sampletank till I set the channel.

So, in total I have configured Sampletank (one instance) with Drums in the channel 1, Bass in the channel 2 and Piano in the channel 4. I have created 3 MIDI tracks, routed to Sampletank, and set channels in all 3. My controller is on channel 16. As soon as I focus specific track, I can play/record particular instrument. I do not switch controller, just focus track with mouse.

If that does not work for you, there is some problem in your setup.

For the test:
5. Press "Mixer button". Do you see Last MIDI Event for it? Does LED for Mixer lit? Is LED for MIDI button still there?
6. Move fader 1 again. Is it back to ch:1 cc:0 ?

Overall questions are the following (I want you understand why I am asking all that):
* Do Mixer/MIDI buttons change what faders send ? In one direction or in both?
* Do they both also inform DAW there are operated?
* Do they also operate LEDs on there own?

Offline Boscoe

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2016, 05:35:52 PM »
Oh, okay, I see what I missed! Thanks for the info! WHo knows how long it would've been before I found that myself? lol (told you I was a NOOB!)   :)

Step 5: if I press the mixer button after doing all the other steps, the last midi event changes to cc:34

Step 6: Yes, it changes to cc:0 when I move the fader

If I go back and forth between the mixer/midi buttons, the behavior I've described is consistent.

So yeah, it looks like the midi/mixer buttons do change what data is sent, both ways, and I'm guessing the initial cc:33/cc:34 is the DAW being informed about the button press? (I notice that when this happens it also says the value = 1 rather than 0 though it immediately changes to 0 when I start moving the fader)

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2016, 08:04:46 PM »
Ok, in general that means MIDI/Mixer buttons are operating internally... I have thought I have to do this in preset. So, I do not have to  ;)

While I guess channel assignment will solve your PB problem, we can assign "reset" (so disable control, return to the state the device was powered) to something. Let me know if you want that (and have an idea which button we can scarify for that).

Offline Boscoe

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2016, 10:29:58 PM »
INteresting... I was actually wondering about a "reset" feature because I've noticed that when I exit Sonar the Impulse stays stuck in whatever state it was left in, with messages scrolling on the little screen and any mute buttons that were engaged are still lit and unresponsive (meaning I can't toggle them off manually by pressing the button unless Sonar is running).

But it's not the end of the world. If that's something you want to add it would be appreciated, but I won't cry if you don't.  ;D

For me, I could sacrifice the "roll" button, but the impulse uses it for other things than just the roll feature, so I don't know if turning it into a reset button would cause other problems, especially for those who use the finger pads (I don't).

Either way, thanks for the help, it is much appreciated!  :)

Offline Hermu

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2017, 01:51:23 PM »
New NOVATION Impulse 61 preset released
all infos are in my updated 1st post with new updated NOVATION Impulse 61 preset version to download.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 05:46:28 PM by Hermu »

Offline J75Ogden

Re: [Hermu] NOVATION Impulse 49/61
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2019, 02:06:17 AM »
THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!!
I got a great deal on a used Novation Impulse 49 and have been using Cakewalk by Bandlab as it was a great free DAW. But, for the last 3 weeks, I could NOT get these two to interface correctly with each other. The Novation Automap 4 could not see the Impulse 49, and the CakeWalk ACT could not map the faders, rotary encoders or the transport controls.

AZ and Hermu, together you are the greatest!
Thank you so much, nothing else was working

J75Ogden

Offline drjeyoussef

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2019, 10:29:38 AM »
will this works with Impulse 25 ?

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2019, 09:23:04 PM »
will this works with Impulse 25 ?
Original preset is oriented toward faders and buttons under faders. Since Impulse 25 has no such controls, the functionality is original preset is not practical. It has to be reconfigured to work in one strip mode (using the only fader and its button) or in 4 strip banks (4 encoders as faders, 4 as original encoders).
So short answer is no, it will not work as described out of the box.

Offline drjeyoussef

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2019, 03:50:56 PM »
thanks for replying. so how can I reprogram it ? is there a way i can learn how to manually create a preset and assign my controla to actual functions ?