Author Topic: Is there anyway to rename an ACT controller?  (Read 9292 times)

Offline cbarn

Is there anyway to rename an ACT controller?
« on: September 28, 2015, 01:23:14 AM »
Is there any way to rename an ACT controller?  Currently I have two controllers, "AZ Controller-1" and "Novation Automap Universal-1".  The "AZ Controller-1" actually corresponds to my Korg nanoKONTROL2, I'd like to rename it to "AZ nanoKONTROL2" if possible.  I'm planning to remap a lot of the Novation through AZ Controller as well, and would like to rename that to "AZ Novation", so that's plain and obvious on the interface which controller goes to which device.

I'm assuming (correct me if wrong!) that there won't be a problem having two AZ Controller instances running on different MIDI ports.

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
Re: Is there anyway to rename an ACT controller?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 11:04:44 AM »
Names are formed by Sonar, I have no influence on that. Sonar takes reported by plug-in name (installation name, not preset) and adds "-1", "-2", etc.

Several instances of AZ Plug-in is not a problem, but Sonar has a bug:
1) Sonar always shows the last saved preset name for all instances (while each instance has own configuration/preset and they are loaded correctly on Sonar restart), and so
2) If you press "Save preset" in the instance which has different preset, this preset will overwrite preset from another instance (which name you see)
3) If more then one property pages for the same plug-in are opened, "Save preset" button always save preset to the wrong file.

So, you will see "AZ Controller - 1", "AZ Controller - 2", etc and you will always see the same preset name for all of them... Confusing, I know. But nothing I can do.

And so practical tips how to deal with that:
1) put the instance you modify often on top of the list. Sonar has no reordering feature, so you do this by reconfiguring all instances in proper order (changing input/output and loading correct preset)
2) never open 2 property pages for AZ Controller simultaneously.
3) when you want to modify not the first instance, close property page for other, open PP for this instance, reload proper preset (so you see its name correctly), modify it and save. Close this PP, open the first instance PP, reload its preset.

I guess you was waiting for another answer. But once you know these bugs and the way you do not hit them, it is not so annoying. But remember to make backups of presets often (in Cakewalk Plug-in Manager from Utility Menu) since you will incorrectly overwrite presets from time to time...

Another approach is to use "Master"/"Slaves" feature. You have only one preset for the first instance, and other instances (in your case can be 2, one for Novation and another for CCs you have mentioned in the Tutorial comment) will just have "Slave 1" and "Slave 2" (plus "Block all") in the configuration. For CC instance, try to set the Input to some dummy device which never generate anything, do not use Nanokorg as input or at least set "Ignore input" option which should appear in the next release update).

The advantages of the second approach:
1) you do not have to deal with preset bug (you never modify configurations for other instances)
2) you can use common logic ("Shift"/"Mode switch"/etc on novation can be used in Korg, track changing on Korg affect Novation and so on)

Disadvantages:
1) a bit more complex configuration
2) it will be hard to use one device without another

Offline cbarn

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 09:26:19 PM »
Thanks for the quick response - I'm not surprised that the name is set by SONAR and can't be changed, I'll just have to live with it.  Thanks for the heads-up on the problems with the property pages and presets - I'll give the master/slave option a try, that seems less likely to have me screw it up, and being able to tie the logic together across devices is pretty cool!

Offline Rungravee

• sbobet
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 04:34:29 AM »
I'm looking for a way to change the name of the ACT control to fit it.

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 11:05:39 AM »
In the latest test version (I should release it, looks ok for me) there is such possibility:
http://www.azslow.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=28

The explanation: http://www.azslow.com/index.php?topic=384.0