Author Topic: mute/solo [explained]  (Read 13365 times)

Offline Hatstand

mute/solo [explained]
« on: September 11, 2015, 09:56:53 PM »
Hi there, I have really enjoyed using this tool to set up my Launchkey61 with Sonar.
I have managed with tweaking, reading the Novation programmers guide and your documentation to map virtually everything but cannot for the life of me work out how to get the mute/solo key to toggle the 8 x track switches from mute mode to solo mode. I have got them to work as mute switches though.
There is also an led on the mute/solo switch to show which mode you are in but to be honest I would be happy just to get the mute/solo switch working even if I cannot get the led to light up.
If someone can point me in the right direction and I manage to get it working, I will post the preset up for anyone who comes along in the future.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 05:44:13 PM by azslow3 »

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
Re: mute/solo
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 01:00:45 AM »
I attach a bit broken preset (I know there was several bug fixes in it, but I do not have final version...).
Look at S1 Mute definition as an example. It works with Software State which is switched my 9th button (under Master volume).
There is also InControl initialization (for MK2, for MK1 another channel should be used).
The preset is very specific, does not use LEDs at all. But that is possible (RGB pads highlight as well). If you will be unable to understand anything (which is unfortunately likely with my plug-in and complex presets...) I will try to explain in words.

You can also check BCR2000 thread for several nice concepts.

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 09:56:20 AM »
Yesterday I forgot to mention that I assume you have already followed "ACT MIDI Explained" in Tutorials where Shift/State/Bank approaches are explained in step by step example.

Offline Hatstand

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 08:43:29 PM »
Thanks Aslow, I will give the preset a try. Yes I had read all the documentation and managed to get the Mute / Solo led working in between posts but could only get it to latch on. I am using the main midi port as the input and the second (in Control) midi port as the output.
I will let you know how I progress.
Thanks again

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 12:50:07 AM »
From what I know, you have 2 sets. You normally need in Control Input and Output, but InContol mode should be activated. You can find MIDI Protocol documentation for Launchkey MK2. The difference with MK1 is the channel (my preset is for MK1).

"Normal" MIDI input/output can be used for additional controls. You will need second instance of AZ Ctrl with this ports attached. Put it in "Slave mode" in the options tab. Put the first instance into "Master mode" there. Then all configuration (for both ports) should be done in the first instance. You can then switch mode for particular control type by InControl buttons.

If you need a tip how to use RGB on pads, I can write you.

Offline Hatstand

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 08:18:28 PM »
Thanks for your help. I have added a couple of things and changed a few bits. I am running both input and output on the second midi channel and it all seems to work fine. I changed the << and >> to toggle rather than go all the way to the front and back and used the pads to manage record arm and WAI mode. Got the pads and buttons to light up using some of the colour palettes too. Will no doubt refine it some more but for now it does what I want.
Note to others: if you get one of the Launchkey Mk2's, update the firmware version via the novation beta site (out of the box mine came with v135 but when updated it went to v145 so they have obviously ironed out some bugs).
Can't see how to add an attachment if that is possible I will upload the spp file.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 08:21:39 PM by Hatstand »

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 09:14:12 PM »
You can create posts with attachments in the "Discussions" board only http://www.azslow.com/index.php/board,6.0.html. "Launchkey MK2 preset", or something in that direction as the subject. And it is good idea to describe the functionality (most annoying part of publishing presets, I know  ;) )

I plan to create separate board "Ready to use presets" and move all related topics there, but that is not done yet.

Thanks for giving it a try and publishing the result!

Offline Hatstand

Re: mute/solo [explained]
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 11:57:27 PM »
Hi There I have published my preset in the discussion boards, there are one or two little niggles which I will explain

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 11:35:22 AM »
My forum configuration had a mistake, so attachments was disabled. That should be fixed now.
I have separated your post.

About markers. There is no way to get marker(s) text. I will put it into my todo list.

Offline Hatstand

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 07:01:42 PM »
thanks, I will do it now. I think having the marker names come up as text would be great, similarly unless I have missed some thing a nice touch would be if the WAI next eight channels could say the track/bus numbers in focus
Thanks again for a great tool. If there is anyt5hing I could do like create a pdf help manual from your posts I would be happy to help

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2015, 12:20:10 AM »
thanks, I will do it now. I think having the marker names come up as text would be great,
I will add this soon.

similarly unless I have missed some thing a nice touch would be if the WAI next eight channels could say the track/bus numbers in focus
That is called "Origin ID" ("Text" Action option) once some strip parameter is selected.

Thanks again for a great tool. If there is anyt5hing I could do like create a pdf help manual from your posts I would be happy to help
Thank you for the confirmation it is useful!
I continuously update the manual, not sure PDF is the right format. I guess there is some forum mod which can generate it on the fly from that thread, I have to check.

What I think can help other is better text. I mean typos, grammatic errors correction. And may be more important to let me know which parts are hard to understand/need more explanations/examples/etc.

I was also asked several times about video tutorial(s). I do not have (sufficient good) own compositions, I have no experience in making such videos and I prefer spend my time improving the plug-in instead of advertising it. But something in that direction can attract the "new generation", which think that YouTube videos is the only source to learn new tools  ;)

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2015, 01:06:49 PM »
Marker names are exposed in the latest release (b285). See this example for use case.

Offline Hatstand

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2015, 08:39:23 PM »
Thanks I will try it today or tomorrow. I have sent you a message re: documentation