Author Topic: [AZ, Lunatech, MikeyB] A&H QU16/24/32  (Read 39355 times)

Offline Lunatech

Re: [AZ, Lunatech] A&H QU16/24/32
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2015, 03:48:06 PM »
Hi Azslow3,

Yes the Pan encoder is what I mean and A&H will not be much help as when I asked about it per there midi guide it was " too complicated to implement at this time" So what you are thinking lines up with that statement.

I will report back on the Last event for the Mute button once back in the studio. Thanks for all of the work you have put into this.. I wish and look forward to a way of showing its value..

Offline Lunatech

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2015, 01:20:22 AM »
Hi Azslow3,

See the attachment for a screenshot of the Mute 1 press. Mute 2 has the same information except for strip. Thanks.

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2015, 08:08:13 AM »
So, at least they send "0" on button release.

If we follow my proposal for PageDown as a Shift, you can decide what you prefer:
* Shift + Transport key: can be marker navigation + insert or Goto Loop Begin/End + loop switch, etc.
* Shift + Strip buttons (Mute/Solo/Select) : can be Record Arm for strip, but we can also use particular button for global actions (track/bus switch, commands, etc)

We can assign some strips to buses permanently, or make them switchable. For example, 20 strips are always tracks while last 4 can be switched to control buses.

I will also make modification to support A&H style NRPNs, then we can think about using some other controls for DAW.

Offline Lunatech

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2015, 01:37:31 PM »
Hi Azslow3,

I think that you proposal for shift is great.  There are two button programmed for bank up and bank down. I am assuming that you want to use the bank down as shift. Is that correct? Will it still do bank down? Also these suggestions are most appealing to me: With the track/bus switch option does that mean all strips become busses or is it related to the second statement where certain assigned strips can become busses and are activated as such by the switch?
Also if we go with the 20/4 fader-bus configuration, If track counts increased (or bus counts) could the bank up/down still be utilized to accomdate?

* Shift + Strip buttons (Mute/Solo/Select) : can be Record Arm for strip, but we can also use particular button for global actions (track/bus switch, commands, etc)

We can assign some strips to buses permanently, or make them switchable. For example, 20 strips are always tracks while last 4 can be switched to control buses.

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2015, 04:15:32 PM »
So, what I propose:
BankUp - move Track strips to next position (it we have 1-24, then it is 25-48)
BankDown + BankUp - move Track strips to previous position (what normally BankDown does)

We can split 24 strips as you like them:
12 tracks + 12 buses, 20 tracks + 4 buses, and so on. The split can be permanent or toggled by some key combination,
for example Mute1+Solo1 switch last (12,4,...) strips from track to buses.
BankUp/DankDown+BankUp still move Track Strips to other tracks, while Mute1+BankUp/Mute1+BankUp+BankDown move buses strips.
BankUp+Select (1..24) Arm corresponding track.

And we still have BankUp+Solo (1...24) and BankUp+Mute(2...24) for other actions.

As I have also mentioned, BankUp+Transport keys can get some actions as well.

Offline Lunatech

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2015, 05:05:19 PM »
Hello Azslow3,

Lets run with it: My responses are in parenthesis at the end on your comments.. Thanks.

BankUp - move Track strips to next position (it we have 1-24, then it is 25-48)- (OK)
BankDown + BankUp - move Track strips to previous position (what normally BankDown does) - (OK)

We can split 24 strips as you like them:
12 tracks + 12 buses, 20 tracks + 4 buses, and so on. The split can be permanent or toggled by some key combination,
for example Mute1+Solo1 switch last (12,4,...) strips from track to buses. (OK) (20 + 4)

BankUp/DankDown+BankUp still move Track Strips to other tracks, while Mute1+BankUp/Mute1+BankUp+BankDown move buses strips.(OK)
BankUp+Select (1..24) Arm corresponding track. (OK)

And we still have BankUp+Solo (1...24) and BankUp+Mute(2...24) for other actions. (Need to think about but excellent)

As I have also mentioned, BankUp+Transport keys can get some actions as well.(Goto Loop Begin/End + loop switch, etc) (is a great start)

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2015, 08:25:34 PM »
Please download and test the latest test version.

I have updated the first post in this thread to describe complete functionality.

In short, "BankDown"/"BankUp" are now "Shift" and "Alt" keys only (they no longer have Bank switching functionality).
But BankDown/BankUp+Mute(1,2,3) have special meaning to work with Track/Bus/Banks.
BankDown+Select is 'Record Arm' (with LED indication when BankDown is pressed).
BankDown+Transport control Loop, BankUp+Transport control Markers.

Offline Lunatech

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2015, 10:07:42 PM »
Hello Azslow3,

See my responses preceded by the *.  I am weirdly excited. Let me know what I can do. Thanks.

What is expected to work:
•20 first channels control tracks. Use BankDown+Mute1/Mute2 to move Track bank left/right by current number of controlled tracks (20/24) *(Only 24 no bank shifting)

•4 last channels control tracks or buses. Use BankDown+Mute3 to switch the mode. Use BankUp+Mute1/Mute2 to move Bus bank left/right. *(Did not work attached screen shot) (shift and Alt are configured (can see command in plugin window))

•Each channel control: Volume (Fader), Mute (Mute), Solo(Solo), Record Arm (BankDown+Select) of the corresponding strip. Select button focus the strip in Sonar. LEDs indicate corresponding parameter state (hold PageDown button to see currently armed tracks as Select LEDs)  *( Do not see a page down button. Do I need to configure a soft button for this?) (No bank + functions are working. Hit bank and while holding hit another button and last button command fires not combo function)

•Transport buttons alone control Sonar transport. BankDown+FF/RW move current time to Loop Out/In. BankUp+FF/RW move current time to Next/Previous Marker. BankDown+Stop toggle loop mode. BankUp+Stop insert Marker. *(Same as above)

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2015, 10:42:41 PM »
Please do the following:

* download the latest version again (I have just reapploaded it, to be sure you get what I expect)
* in the Options Tab regenerate the preset (well, I know you are doing that all the time, just to be sure)
* switch to the Overview Tab
* select "Shift (-)" from the drop down box
* press BankDown and keep it pressed, make a screen shot
* release BankDown and make a screen shot

The idea. BankDown should when it is pressed switch "Shift" to "+" (you should see "Shift (+)" when it is pressed. It once it is released, it should unset it (you should see "Shift (-)" again). Once we get it working, the rest will work. The screen shots will help me identify the problem I have possibly done with MIDI mapping.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Lunatech

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2015, 12:24:03 AM »
Hi Azslow3,

I have attached the screen shots. The behavior is not as expected. The value never changes to shift +. Thanks

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2015, 09:24:29 AM »
That is a bad news.  QU buttons are "switch" style, in other words it is impossible to detect either the button is still pressed.  That definitively reduce usability of proposed approach. We can not use "Shift", we can use "CapsLock" only.

I have updated the first post and uploaded the new version.

Offline Lunatech

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2015, 06:02:08 PM »
Hi Azslow3,

Downloaded new version. All stated functionality is working as expected. I will continue to work with this to see if other functionality jumps out at me. While this is limited in comparison to the first proposal , it is still much deeper than where I was. Thanks again...

Not sure if this is appropriate.. I have been working with A&H support on some other issues.  Do you mind if I mention your work? Not sure where it may go but I believe it deserves a mention. Thanks.

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2015, 07:12:59 PM »
My original proposal was targeting the presence of "Shift" buttons. May be we can find better layout in terms of "Modes".
In case everything is worked as expected, I will put the preset into release and mark the thread as (usable).

About A&H. Everyone is welcome here, inclusive hardware producers. So you can mention me. Also in case they could send me some unit (even with some broken not Control Surfaces parts like pre-amps, I mean that cost them close to nothing), you could save quite some time debugging what I am doing and I could save some time coding blindly. While I do not want provide any commercial grade support, my integration is better then nothing at all. Devices like QU, with motor faders and LEDs are on the level of $30 devices when used in Generic Control Sonar mode. HUI is not supported by Sonar, and even if they do some MCU mapping, corresponding plug-in is waiting for many controls which have no equivalent on these devices, like 4 "shift" buttons.

Offline Rufrag

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2015, 05:51:44 PM »
This is absolutely super cool! I`m so exited right now. I`ve got an qu-16 that I`m trying with the qu-24 preset. It`s working really nice. My only question is this; how can I delete the eight channels from this preset that doesn`t exist on my qu-16 unit. I`m not able to control bus tracks because those faders doesn`t exist on my unit...

Thank you so much for doing this, and I hope you have an answer for me

Many thanks from Norway!

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2015, 07:14:36 PM »
Welcome!

I have updated the preset to support QU16/24/32 at configuration phase. Please download the latest release (b121 at the moment) and regenerate the preset.

I hope it works out of the box, but you are the first person who is going to test that. Report any anomalies please.