Author Topic: Avoiding large fader/knob jumps  (Read 5551 times)

Offline SonarHatesMe

Avoiding large fader/knob jumps
« on: February 26, 2015, 04:39:38 PM »
Hello,

Let me first start by thanking you for your time and dedication to this project, AZSlow.  Your AZ Controller plugin installed and integrated seamlessly into X1.  I went through your first tutorial (got my "Rotor 1" working) and am hoping to start programming SysEx triggers when some function is carried out (like muting/soloing a track).  Essentially, I am trying to perform the same task as was described (and resolved by you) in the Cakewalk forums.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Triggering-Sysex-Send-on-Sonar-function-m3120749.aspx

However, before I can invest the time in programming this amazing plugin, I need to resolve the issue of faders jumping large distances.  I use a Launch Control XL control surface.  When I use Cakewalk Generic Surface configuration for the Launch Control XL, Sonar's default behavior forbids large jumps when controlling faders/knobs.  For example, let's say I have the faders on my control surface all set to -∞.  If I then open a project that has a track where a volume fader has been set to -6.0, I will have to move the fader assigned to that track to the -6.0 position before I can regain control of that track.  Until the hardware and software faders are both aligned at -6.0, the software fader will not change position.  They have been effectively decoupled during the period they are not at the same level.  This keeps the software fader from immediately jumping down to -∞ and then sliding up with the hardware fader as I return its position to -6.0.

Unfortunately, after going through your first tutorial, I noticed that this is not the default behavior of the AZ Controller plugin.  If my hardware faders don't correspond with the software faders, AZ Controller doesn't wait for them to line up before giving control of the software faders back to the hardware surface.  This could be especially harmful in a project that had a low volume track which was controlled by a fader left in a high volume position from a different project (or even a different bank position within the same project); if I were to nudge the fader on accident, the volume in Sonar could jump from very low to very high instead of waiting for the hardware and software faders to reach the same point and reattach to each other.

Sorry for that long explanation of something fairly simple.   :P  Judging by the attention to detail you have put into this project, I am completely sure that the solution I'm after is programmable somehow, and I'm simply overlooking it.  Any help you could give me on this would be greatly appreciated! So excited to unlock the power of this plugin!

Thanks!

Offline azslow3

• Administrator
Re: Avoiding large fader/knob jumps
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 11:31:50 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for giving it a try, I hope the plug-in will work for you.

If you select "Set Value" Action, you can see several options. By default, it is "Direct" "Linear" "MIDI resolution". What you are asking for is "Catch" "Liner" "MIDI resolution". But there are other modes (you can not find in other SONAR plug-ins), useful in case you use one control to change several parameters which have values "close" to each other: "Instant" "Linear" or "Instant" "Convex" "MIDI". And there is yet another mode for precise tuning: "Step" "Fine".

In other words, I have implemented all mapping types I could imagine :)

While you are welcome to ask any questions and I will answer all of them explicitly, one of the biggest problem of my plug-in is its complexity for new comers. I recommend to read "ACT MIDI explained" and the User manual. It will be too difficult for you to use it otherwise (and not so easy after, but I am here to help).

Offline SonarHatesMe

Re: Avoiding large fader/knob jumps
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 12:37:32 AM »
Thanks, AZSlow!

Works like a charm.  Such a wonderful plugin (and customer support)!

Now for some SysEx fun  ;D